Quotes regarding Absence
- Absences are a good influence in love and keep it bright and delicate.
- Absence diminishes little passions and increases great ones, as wind extinguishes candles and fans a fire.
- Sometimes, when one person is missing, the whole world seems depopulated.
- The heart may think it knows better: the senses know that absence blots people out. We have really no absent friends.
- It takes time for the absent to assume their true shape in our thoughts. After death they take on a firmer outline and then cease to change.
- Colette, The Captain, Earthly Paradise (1966)
- The absent are like children; they are helpless to defend themselves.
- Charles Reade, Foul Play (1869) ch. 44
- The absent are never without fault, nor the present without excuse.
- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack July 1736
- To-day man is, and to-morrow he will be seen no more. And being removed out of sight, quickly also he is out of mind.
- Thomas à Kempis, Imitation of Christ (c.1418) Book I, ch. 23
- Absence and death are the same--only that in death there is no suffering.
- The absent are always in the wrong.
- The absent shall not be made heir.
- They are good that are away.
- When you're not there, it doesn't matter.
- Absence makes the heart grow fonder.