Great people talk about ideas. Small people talk about other people.Tobias S. Gibson
- Few women care to be laughed at and men not at all, except for large sums of money.
- Preface to The Norman Conquests (New York: Grove Press,  1988) p. 11.
- There are very few people on top of life, and the rest of us don't like them very much.
- A comedy is just a tragedy interrupted, I once said. Do you finish with the kiss or when she opens her eyes to tell him she loves him and sees blonde hairs on his collar?
- "A Crash Course in Playwriting" (1993) 
- The darker the subject, the more light you must try to shed on the matter. And vice versa.
- The Crafty Art of Playwriting (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2003) p. 3.
- Plays by Alan Ayckbourn have been attracting larger audiences in the regional theatres than those of Shakespeare.