The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts. Those who decide to use leisure as a means of mental development, who love good music, good books, good pictures, good company, good conversation, are the happiest people in the world. And they are not only happy in themselves, they are the cause of happiness in others.William Lyon Phelps
Anger is a common emotional response to real or imagined threats or harm to oneself or others.
- When a man gets angry he falls down.
- In the beginning, the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, chapter 1. (Second novel of the The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series).
- We must interpret a bad temper as a sign of inferiority.
- As the whirlwind in its fury teareth up trees, and deformeth the face of nature, or as an earthquake in its convulsions overturneth whole cities; so the rage of an angry man throweth mischief around him. ·
- To be angry is easy. But to be angry with the right man at the right time and in the right manner, that is not easy. ·
- Indulge not thyself in the passion of Anger; it is whetting a sword to wound thine own breast, or murder thy friend.
- Iratus semplar plus putat posse facere quam possit.
- The angry man always thinks he can do more than he can.
- Albertano of Brescia, Liber Consolations
- Men often make up in wrath what they want in reason.
- Anyone can become angry — that is easy, but to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose, and in the right way — that is not easy.
- Ira furor brevis est.' Anger is a brief madness.
- Horace, Epistles, I. ii. 62
- Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor.
- Francis Bacon, Apophthegms (1679)
- Anger is like ruin,It breaks itself upon which it falls.
- Hatred is self-punishment.
- Hatred is the vice of narrow souls; they feed it with all their littleness, and make it the pretext of base tyrannies.
- When a man dwells on the objects of sense, he creates an attraction for them; attraction develops into desire, and desire breeds anger.
- I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.
- William Blake
- Anger begins with folly, and ends with repentance.
- Anger is a gift.
- When you are angry or frustrated, what comes out? Whatever it is, it's a good indication of what you're made of.
- Anger will never disappear so long as thoughts of resentment are cherished in the mind. Anger will disappear just as soon as thoughts of resentment are forgotten.
- Dangers by being despised grow great.
- Edmund Burke, Speech on the Petition of the Unitarians, 1792
- An angry man opens his mouth and shuts his eyes.
- Hatred is inveterate anger.
- Most men know what they hate, few know what they love.
- The intoxication of anger, like that of the grape, shows us to others, but hides us from ourselves.
- When anger rises, think of the consequences.
- Heav'n has no rage, like love to hatred turn'd. / Nor Hell a fury, like a woman scorn'd.
- William Congreve, The Mourning Bride
- For hatred does not cease by hatred at any time: hatred ceases by love — this is an old rule.
- He who holds back rising anger like a rolling chariot, him I call a real driver; other people are but holding the reins.
- Beware the fury of a patient man.
- Anger is one of the sinews of the soul; he that wants it hath a maimed mind.
- Thomas Fuller, ‘Holy State’, bk. III. 8
- To rule one's anger is well; to prevent it is still better.
- Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal.
- Whenever you are angry, be assured that it is not only a present evil, but that you have increased a habit.
- Remember to not only say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
- Anger and intolerance are the twin enemies of correct understanding.
- When a man is wrong and won't admit it, he always gets angry.
- Anger is seldom without argument but seldom with a good one.
- Anger is a momentary madness, so control your passion or it will control you.
- Wise anger is like fire from a flint: there is great ado to get it out; and when it does come, it is out again immediately.
- Anger blows out the lamp of the mind.
- The flame of anger, bright and brief, sharpens the barb of love.
- From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.
- Captain Ahab to Moby-Dick in Moby-Dick by Herman Melville
- An angry man is again angry with himself when he returns to reason.
- The greatest remedy for anger is delay.
- When angry count four; when very angry, swear.
- Keep cool; anger is not an argument.
- If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost: you can still call him vile names.
- Never forget what a man says to you when he is angrey.
- Anger is like cancer, It wont stop until it consumes every last bit of you
- When you're pushed, killing is easy as breathing
- Rambo, Rambo 4
- Anger is a natural response to perceived disrespect for our inate rights.
- There are things that must evoke our anger to show we care. It is what we do with that anger. If we direct that energy we can use it positively or destructively.
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Daily Express, 29th October 2008
- Anger does nobody good, but patience is the father of kindness
- Anger is a condition in which the tongue works faster than the mind.
- Anger is as a stone cast into a wasp's nest.
- Malabar Proverb
- Anger is a thief who steals away the nice moments
- If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.
- My passions flare, I weep in sadness, wallow in despair, my passions change, anger reigns, now all lie in fear.
- Anger is an energy—so channel it!