If only one could tell true love from false love as one can tell mushrooms from toadstools.Katherine Mansfield
This page is for quotes about animals.
Organized alphabetically by author.
- The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog one big one.
- Archilochus, In Plutarch Moralia
- The Dodo never had a chance. He seems to have been invented for the sole purpose of becoming extinct and that was all he was good for.
- Will Cuppy, How to Become Extinct, 1941.
- It is my view that the vegetarian manner of living by its purely physical effect on the human temperament would most beneficially influence the lot of mankind.
- Albert Einstein, (Letter to Vegetarian Watch-Tower (27 December 1930)
- Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
- George Eliot, Scences of a Clerical Life (1858)
- A horse is dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle.
- Ian Fleming, The Sunday Times (1966)
- Animals are always loyal and love you, whereas children you never know where you are.
- Christina Foyle, The Times (1993)
- The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
- What a piece of work is a man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form, in moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me; no, nor woman neither, though, by your smiling, you seem to say so.
- If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals.
- Leo Tolstoy in The First Step
- A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral.
- Leo Tolstoy in Writings on Civil Disobedience and Nonviolence (1886)
- There are two things for which animals are to be envied: they know nothing of future evils, or of what people say about them.
- Voltaire, Letter (1739)
- We should venture on the study of every kind of animal without distaste; for each and all will reveal to us something natural and something beautiful.
- Man perfected by society is the best of all animals; he is the most terrible of all when he lives without law, and without justice.
- The very fact that the jaguar can become extinct while the Pekingese survives indicates to me that someone hasn't thought this thing through.
- If an animal does something, we call it instinct; if we do the same thing for the same reason, we call it intelligence.
- Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
- The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
- I bought myself a parrot. The parrot talked. But it did not say, "I'm hungry,"... so it died. ~ Mitch Hedberg
- Dogs are forever in the push-up position.
- I'd hate to be a giraffe with a sore throat. ~ Mitch Hedberg
- We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form.
- Hot dogs: feeding the hand that bites it.
- Laurence J. Peter, paraphrased
- We hope that, when insects take over the world, they will remember with gratitude how we took them along on our picnics.
- Bill Vaughan
- A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
- A heedless dog will not do for the chase.
- A lurking dog does not lie in the hyena's lair.
- A zebra is a light-colored animal with dark stripes, not a dark one with light stripes. — American Museum of Natural History
- Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
- Also a Spanish proverb: A caballo regalado no le mires el dentado.
- He who can not move an ant, and yet tries to move an elephant, shall find out his folly.
- He who goes with the wolf will learn to howl.
- His bark is worse than his bite.
- If the dog is not at home, he barks not.
- If the fly flies, the frog goes not supperless to bed.
- If you think dogs can't count, try keeping three cookies in your pocket, and giving your dog only 2.
- It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.
- The butterfly that brushes against thorns will tear its wings.
- The elephant does not find his trunk heavy.
- Were no elephant in the jungle, the buffalo would be a great animal.
- When the fox dies, fowls do not mourn.
- When the goat goes abroad, the sheep must run.
- When the rat laughs at the cat, there is a hole. The rat has not power to call the cat to account. The rat does not go to sleep in the cat's bed.
- A perro flaco, todos son pulgas.
- To a skinny dog, all are fleas.
- En boca cerrada no entran moscas.
- A closed mouth gathers no flies.
- Gato escaldado del agua fría huye.
- The cat that has been scalded flees from cold water.
- Más vale pájaro en mano que ciento volando.
- A bird in the hand is better than a hundred flying birds.
- Perro ladrador, poco mordedor.
- A barking dog doesn't bite much.
- Ser como el perro del hortelano, que ni come las berzas, ni las deja comer al amo.
- To be like the gardener's dog, who doesn't eat the cabbages, nor lets the master eat them.
- Si quieres el perro, acepta las pulgas.
- If you want the dog, accept the fleas.