Atlantis: The Lost Empire is a 2001 film that follows the adventure Milo Thatch, an "expert in gibberish", experiences while trying to prove his grandfather's theory that Atlantis exists. He feels his dream is hopeless until a wealthy benefactor gives him the means to go on an expedition, along with an ususual team of explorers who may have their own interests in mind. Together, they will travel beneath the ocean's depths to discover a lost civilization... and maybe something more.
- [after being seasick] Carrots? Why is it always carrots? I didn't even eat carrots!
- Oh, my decision? I think we've seen how effective my decisions have been. Let's re-cap. I lead a band of plundering vandals to the greatest archaeological find in recorded history, thus enabling the kidnap and/or murder of the royal family, not to mention personally delivering the most powerful force known to man into the hands of a mercenary nutcase who's probably gonna sell it to the Kaiser! Have I left anything out?!
Dr. Sweet: Well, you did set the camp on fire and drop us down that big hole.
Milo: Thank you! Thank you very much!
- [To Rourke] Well, I don't know, why don't you translate, and I'll wave the gun around?!
Princess 'Kida' Kidagakash
- We are not thriving. True, our people live, but our culture is dying. We are like a stone the ocean beats against. With each year a little more of us is worn away.
Preston B. Whitmore
- Your grandad had a saying: "Our lives are measured by the gifts we leave our children." This journal is his gift to you. Atlantis is waiting.
- Your grandfather was always bending my ear with stories about that book. I didn't buy it for a minute! So finally I got fed up and made a bet with the old coot. I said, "Thatch, if you ever actually find that so-called journal, not only will I finance the expedition, but I'll kiss you full on the mouth!" Imagine my embarrassment when he found the darn thing.
Helga Katrina Sinclair
- I came down the chimney, ho ho ho.
- [about Milo] Cartographer, linguist, plumber... hard to believe he's still single.
- Move it, people, move! Sometime today would be nice!
- Nothing personal.
- There weren't supposed to be people down here. This changes everything.
Commander Lyle Tiberius Rourke
- [to Milo] Academics...you never want to get your hands dirty. Well...think about it. If you have given back every stolen artifact at the museum, you'd be left with an empty building. We're just providing a neccesary service to the archaelogical community.
- I love it when I win.
- [to Milo] Well, I gotta hand it to you. You're a bigger pain in the neck than I would have ever thought possible! I consider myself an even-tempered man; it takes a rotten lot to get under my skin. But congratulations - you just won the solid gold kewpie doll!
- Next time, get it in writing...! ...Nothing personal!
- Tried, Mr. Thatch!? Well, that's a darn shame...cause I'm just getting warmed up!
Dr. Joshua Strongbear Sweet
- [about his saw] Nice, isn't it? The catalogue says that this little beauty can saw through a femur in twenty-eight seconds. I'm betting I can cut that time in half!
- [after Milo asks about Mole] Trust me on this, you don't wanna know. Audrey, don't tell him. You shouldn'ta told me, but you did, and now I'm tellin' you, you don't wanna know.
- I got a sheepskin from Howard U and a bearskin from Old Iron Cloud.
- Moliere, what have I told you about playing nice with other kids?! Get back! I've got soap, and I'm not afraid to use it. Back, foul creature, to the pit from whence you came!
- I hate fishing. I hate fish. Hate the taste, hate the smell and I hate all them little bones.
- As far as me goes... I just like to blow things up.
- My family owned a flower shop. We would sell roses, carnations, baby's breath, you name it. One day, I'm making about three dozen corsages for this prom, you know, the one they put on the wrist, and everybody, they come. "When is it?", "Where is it?", "Does it match my dress?" It's a nightmare. Anyway, I guess there was this leak next door of gas or what. BOOM! No more Chinese laundry. Blew me right through the front window. It was like a sign from God. I found myself that boom.
- We done a lot of things we're not proud of. [counting off on his fingers] Robbing graves, eh, plundering tombs, double parking. But, nobody got hurt. Well, maybe somebody got hurt, but nobody we knew.
Gaeton "Mole" Moliere
- [to Milo] You ask too many questions! Who are you?! Who sent you?! Speak up! Bah! I will know soon enough. [He grabs Milo's hand. Milo protests.] Do not be such a crybaby! Hold still! [Takes a bit of dirt from under one of Milo's fingernails.] Aha! There you are. Now tell me your story, my little friend. [Looks at dirt under magnifying lenses] Parchment fiber from the Nile circa 500 B.C., lead pencil No. 2, paint flecks of a type used in government buildings, you have a cat, short hair Persian, two years old, third in a litter of seven. These are all the microscopic fingerprints of the mapmaker. [Tastes dirt] And linguist.
Audrey Rocio Ramirez
- Two for flinching.
Wilhemina Bertha Packard
- [over the PA system] Attention. Tonight's supper will be baked beans. Musical program to follow. [pause] Who wrote this?
- [to her friend Margie] So I says to him, "What's wrong with my meatloaf?" and he says to me...oh, hold on a second Margie, I've got another call. Sir, we're approaching coordinates. Hello, Margie? Yes, so anyways, he says to me...
- [to her friend Margie] And he took his suitcase? Marge, honey, I don't think he's coming back.
- [to her friend Margie] I'll have to call you back...No no, I'll call you...
- All hands to the launch bay. To whoever took the "L" from the "Motor Pool" sign, ha-ha, we are all very amused.
- We're all gonna die.
- Commander, I think you should hear this...COmmander...Commander...Commander...Commander...
- I'm picking up something from the hydrophone I think you should hear.
- You wanna do my job? Be my guest.
- Sir, it's Engineering on call...
Jebidiah Allardyce "Cookie" Farnsworth
- [Serves everyone the same, nondescript slop] For the appetizer, Caesar salad, escargot, and your Oriental spring rolls.
- I got your four basic food groups! Beans, bacon, whisky and lard.
- Dang lightning-bugs done bit me on my sit-upon. Somebody's gonna have to suck out this poison. Don't everybody jump up at once.
- They can smell fear just by lookin' at ya. So keep quiet.
- Vinny: You didn't just drink that, did you?!
- Milo: Mm-hmm.
- Vinny: That's not good! That's nitroglycerin!
- [Milo holds his breath]
- Vinny: Don't move, don't breathe, don't do anything. Except pray, maybe...
- Mole: [jumps up behind Milo, scaring him] BOOM!
- [Vinny and Mole laugh]
- Rourke: Looks like we hit a roadblock. [looks to Vinny] What do you think, Vinny?
- Vinny: I could unroadblock that if I had about two hundred of these [points to a stick of TNT in his hand]... Only problem is I got about [counts on fingers] ten, plus, [pulls up a small bag] five of my own... Couple of cherry bombs... [pulls out a flare]... Road flare...
- [Rourke just looks at Vinny]
- Vinny: Hey! Too bad we don't have some nitroglycerin, eh, Milo? [Milo gives Vinny a "drop dead" look while Mole laughs]
- Commander Rourke: Looks like all our chances for survival rest with you, Mr Thatch. You and that little book.
- Packard: We're all gonna die.
- Milo: Thanks, Cookie, that looks... greasier than usual.
- Cookie: Ya like it? Well have some more. You're so skinny that if you stood sideways and stuck out your tongue, you'd look like a zipper.
- Helga: Someone needs to talk to that girl.
- Mole: I will go!
- Vinny: Someone with good people skills.
- Mole: I will do it!
- Dr. Sweet: Someone who won't scare her away.
- Mole: I volunteer!
- Packard Someone who can speak the language.
- Mole: For the good of the mission, I will go!
- Commander Rourke: [to Milo, who is not paying attention] Good man, Thatch. Thanks for volunteering.
- [Mole cries]
- Sweet: Hold on, back up! Are you saying this whole volcano can blow at any time?
- Mole: No, no, no, no. That would take an explosive force of great magnitude.
- [Everyone looks at Vinny, who is fiddling with a time bomb.]
- Vinny: Maybe I should do this later, huh?
- [Mole's digger breaks down.]
- Audrey: I don't get it. I just tuned this thing up this morning...
- [Audrey climbs into vehicle and throws random bolts and pipes out.]
- Audrey: [from inside digger] It looks like the boiler's shot. I'm gonna have to pull a spare from one of the trucks.
- Milo: Uh, could I just...
- Audrey: ¡No toques nada! I'll be right back [walks away]
- [ Milo grabs Audrey's wrench and begins turning valves, then hits it. The vehicle starts again.]
- Mole: SHE LIVES!
- Audrey: Hey, what'd you do?
- [Milo starts raving on about how the boiler is like the Smithsonian's]
- Audrey: Yeah, yeah, thank you very much.
- [Audrey spins around to face milo, her hand clenched in a fist. Milo flinches]
- Audrey: Two for flinching.
- [Audrey punches Milo twice. Mole laughs at him.]
- Audrey: Rourke! We got a big hit and we're taking in water fast! I don't wanna be around when it hits the boilers!
- Rourke: How much time do we have?
- Audrey: 20 minutes, if the bulkhead holds.
- Audrey: You better make that 5.
- Rourke: You heard the girl. Let's move!
- Milo: Move where?
- Helga: Packard, let's go!
- Packard: [on the phone] And he took his suitcase? Marge, honey, I don't think he's coming back.
- Helga: PACKARD!
- Packard: Gonna have to call you back. [slight pause] No-no, I'll call you.
- Milo: Excuse me, you dropped your dy... dy... dynamite! [Nervous laugh] What else have you, uh, got in there?
- Vinny: Oh, er... Gunpowder, nitroglycerin, notepads, fuses, wicks, glue, and... paper clips - big ones. You know, just, uh, office supplies.
- Milo: Any advice?
- Vinny: Yeah -- don't get shot.
- Sweet: The name's Sweet, Joshus Sweet. Medical officer.
- Milo: Yeah. Milo Thatch.
- Sweet: Milo Thatch, you're my three o'clock! [reaches into his back and pulls out a saw] Well, no time like the present.
- Milo: [stares at the saw] Oh boy!
- Sweet: Nice, isn't it? The catalogue says that this little beauty can saw through a femur in 28 seconds. I'm betting I can cut that time in half! [puts the saw away and comes out with a tongue depresser] Now, stick out your tongue and say "Ah"!
- Milo: Well, I don't-- [gahs then grunts as Sweet puts the stick into his mouth]
- Sweet: So where're you from? [Milo grunts something] Really? I have family up that way! Beautiful country up there! You do any fishing?
- Milo: Oh...a little...
- Sweet: Me? I hate fishing. I hate fish. Hate the taste, hate the smell and I hate all them little bones. [as he speaks he does several things from puting the depresser away to taking Milo's pulse, then finally pulls up two bottles] Here, I'm gonna need you to fill these up.
- Milo: [spits] With what?!
- Packard: [on tannoy] Would Milo Thatch please report to the bridge?
- Milo: Thank you... I mean, nice meeting you. [runs off]
- Sweet: [watching Milo run off] U-huh, nice meeting you too.
- [Mole watches quietly the whole while]
- "...in a single day and night of misfortune, the island of Atlantis disappeared into the depths of the sea." -- Plato, 360 B.C. [text displayed at the beginning of the movie]
- Atlantis is waiting.
- Michael J. Fox - Milo James Thatch
- Corey Burton - Gaetan 'The Mole' Moliere
- Claudia Christian - Helga Katrina Sinclair
- James Garner - Commander Lyle Tiberius Rourke
- John Mahoney - Preston B. Whitmore
- Phil Morris - Dr. Joshua Strongbear Sweet
- Leonard Nimoy - King Kashekim Nedakh
- Don Novello - Vincenzo 'Vinny' Santorini
- Jacqueline Obradors - Audrey Rocio Ramirez
- Florence Stanley - Wilhelmina Bertha Packard
- David Ogden Stiers - Fenton Q. Harcourt
- Natalie Strom - Young Kida
- Cree Summer - Princess 'Kida' Kidagakash
- Jim Varney - Jebidiah Allardyce 'Cookie' Farnsworth