Clothing is material used to cover parts of the human body for protection against the environment, for comfort and body modesty, and as personal decoration ("fashion"), often reflecting religious, cultural, and social customs. Clothes are individual articles of clothing (although the term is always used in plural form).
- Vestis facit virum.
- Kleiden machen Leute: nicht Leute von Verstand.
- English: Clothes make the man, but not the man of sense.
- German proverb, unidentfied origin
- Quoted in Weston, Stephen (1824). "Pecularities of the German", The Englishman Abroad, in Russia, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal (in English), page 101, Oxford University. URL accessed 2008-03-13.
Décolletage is a low neckline on a woman's dress, designed to emphasize but not quite reveal a woman's breasts.
- When my modiste first tried it on me I asked if she was dressing me for an opera or an operation.