Diplomacy is the art and practice of conducting negotiations between representatives of groups or nations. In an informal or social sense, diplomacy is the employment of tact to gain strategic advantage, one set of tools being the phrasing of statements in a non-confrontational, or social manner.
- An ambassador is an honest man sent to lie abroad for the good of his country.
- Henry Wotton, Written in the album of Christopher Fleckmore (1604)
- An ethical foreign policy means helping them up after you've knocked them down.
- Leonid S. Sukhorukov, All About Everything (2005)
- Diplomacy is to do and say
The nastiest things in the nicest way.
- Isaac Goldberg, The Reflex
- May the pens of the diplomats not ruin again what the people have attained with such exertions.
- Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher, After the Battle of Waterloo (1815)
- A diplomat is someone who can speak without saying anything.
- Diplomacy: the art of restraining power.
- Diplomacy is more than saying or doing the right things at the right time, it is avoiding saying or doing the wrong things at any time.
- Bo Bennett
- Diplomacy is the art of letting the other party have things your way.
- Daniele Vare
- Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
- Diplomacy means all the wicked devices of the Old World, spheres of influence, balances of power, secret treaties, triple alliances, and, during the interim period, appeasement of Fascism.
- Barbara Tuchman
- Diplomacy means the art of nearly deceiving all your friends, but not quite deceiving all your enemies.
- Kofi Busia
- Diplomats are just as essential to starting a war as soldiers are for finishing it...You take the diplomacy out of war and the thing would fall flat in a week.
- In the world of diplomacy, some things are better left unsaid.
- Lincoln Chafee
- There are few ironclad rules of diplomacy but to one there is no exception. When an official reports that talks were useful, it can safely be concluded that nothing was accomplished.
- To say nothing, especially when speaking, is half the art of diplomacy.
- A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.
A diplomat is some who believes in the main source and can account for all happenings here b/c it has been witnessesd to them in the past. The best thing is to have a witness or two around with you at all times so that facts remain.