From Hell (film)
Lovers are fools, but Nature makes them so.Elbert Hubbard
- Hello, darling.
- This ain't killin' for profit. This is ritual.
- What? You think I was paying you back? I didn't mean it as business. I'm still a woman, they haven't taken that away from me, not yet anyways!
- I know you asked me to wait. If I'm to be murdered, I'd like at least to die in my village. I'm going to the orphanage to collect baby Alice. Here's an address where you can find us. We'll wait for you eagerly. I know in my heart we can be happy living by the sea. Just as you saw. I hope to be with you soon, dearest. All my love, Mary.
William Gull/Jack the Ripper
- No man amongst you is fit to judge the mighty art that I have wrought. Your rituals are empty oaths you neither understand nor live by.The Great Architect speaks to me. He is the balance, where my deeds are weighed and judged. Not you.
- Frederick Abberline: Sergeant, it's night.
- Sergeant Peter Godley: Well spotted, Inspector Abberline. Indeed it is night. Our genius has returned to us. Thank you, gentlemen. And Remember, if you ever wish to escape the dreary confines of your present duties, this never happened. Cut along now.
- Frederick Abberline: Have we lost a day?
- Sergeant Peter Godley: No, inspector. Indeed, it's only been four hours since you left here. Oh, [and] deepest apologies for the, uh... rude awakening.
- Frederick Abberline: I suspect you enjoyed that.
- Sergeant Peter Godley: "I must be cruel only to be kind," as the poet said. Although I would happily wallop you every time you chased the dragon.
- Sergeant Peter Godley: You've seen something? What did you see?
- Frederick Abberline: A petticoat saturated with blood.
- Sergeant Peter Godley: You know, they used to burn men like you alive.
- Frederick Abberline: The arrangement of the coins at Dark Annie's feet and also the locations of the bodies form a pentacle star. A pentacle star is the symbol of the Freemasons, is it not?
- Sir William Gull: Yes.
- Frederick Abberline: And how these women were killed, throats cut left to right their organs removed. They're reenactments, aren't they?
- Sir William Gull: Reenactments of what?
- Frederick Abberline: The Jews. The traitors who killed Hiram Abiff, founder of the Masons. That's how they were executed.
- Sir William Gull: Yes, so the Great Book tells us.
- Frederick Abberline: So Jack the Ripper isn't just merely killing whores. He's executing traitors. He's a Mason fulfilling a duty.
- Frederick Abberline: You're physician in ordinary to the Queen entrusted with the well-being of the heir to the throne. Only you had reason to believe that these unfortunates, these whores, these traitors destroyed your life's work.
- Sir William Gull: Below the skin of history are London's veins. These symbols, the mitre, the pentacle star — even someone as ignorant and degenerate as you can sense that they course with energy and meaning. I am that meaning. I am that energy. One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th century.
- Frederick Abberline: You're not going to see the 20th century.
- [Abberline discovers another murder]
- Frederick Abberline: Give him to me. [Abberline throttles Sir Charles]
- Sir Charles Warren: He'll be taken care of. I swear.
- Frederick Abberline: I want him. [Abberline continues to assault Sir Charles]
- Sir Charles Warren: It's over. He's done. I give you my word.
- Frederick Abberline: Fuck your word! I'll bring every last one of you fucking cunts down. You and your fucking brothers.
- Sir Charles Warren: Now, listen to me, Abberline. Your situation, your difficult situation has been thoroughly discussed. You are reinstated. Indeed, you are promoted.
- [Abberline again attempts to strangle Sir Charles]
- Sergeant Gotley: No! This is not helping anything.
- Sir Charles Warren: Don't be a fool, inspector. You will be very closely watched.