- English: If you think of someone's good qualities as the umeboshi in an onigiri, it's as if their qualities are stuck to their back! People around the world are like onigiri. Everyone has an umeboshi with a different shape and color and flavor. But because it's stuck on their back, they might not be able to see their umeboshi. "There's nothing special about me. I'm just white rice." [in her head] That's not true. There is an umeboshi -- on your back. [aloud] Maybe the reason people get jealous of each other, is because they can see so clearly the umeboshi on other people's backs. I can see them, too. I can see them perfectly. There's an amazing umeboshi on your back, Kyo-kun.
Japanese: The part of a person that's remarkable is like the umeboshi (pickled plum) on the back of a rice ball. All around the world, there are different colors, shapes, and flavors, but because it's stuck to the back, they might not be able to see their precious umeboshi.
'I'm not special,' each one would think, 'just plain ole rice.'
Even though that's not true, and there is an umeboshi on the back. The reason people get jealous of one another is because they can see the umeboshi on other people's backs. Even now, someone might be feeling envious of something you don't recognize in yourself.
- [After Hatori Sohma transforms into a seahorse]
English: WATERRRRR! S-sea water?! Or fresh water?! WHICH IS IT, HATORI-SAAAN?!
- [After Hatori asks what snow becomes when it melts]
English: Ah...um, well...hmm. It becomes spring! No matter how cold it is now, spring will come again! Without fail. It's strange isn't it? But it's true.
- A lot of people are too scared to admit that they're still children. They do everything they can to avoid it. So people who can admit that have a lot of courage.
- I don't think anyone is born with a reason to live. It's something you have to find for yourself.
- We're searching for a reason of existence. With our own strength, because maybe the truth is that there's no reason for life from the very beginning. Everyone hopes and tries so hard to find a reason of existence. The reason of birth, of staying with someone, of existence, believing we have to find them all with our own hands. Like finding a place for ourselves in dreams, in jobs, in people. The reasons we conclude may be indefinite and fragile. We may lose it too, but even so, we want a reason. As long as I'm alive, I want it too. If possible, I want to find a reason of existence within a person, within someone.
- [After seeing Shigure Sohma]
English: H- Hello! I'm sorry for trespassing! I just saw these and -- [in her head] Aaahh! There was someone here! There still is!
- My happiness comes from the kindness of those around me.
- Sometimes living can be hard! But it's only because we're alive that we can make each other laugh, cry, and be happy! (To Ritsu, the monkey)
- As long as you live things will keep happening! As long as you're alive wishes will keep being made! (to Kureno Sohma, the rooster)
- But... but... but from now on... I want to understand everything. From now on... just like you listened to my complaints, Kyo-kun... I want you to let me listen to yours. When things get tough... when you're scared, when you're weak... I want you to tell me. I want you to let me care about you. I want to be together. I want us to live... eat meals, study... share our troubles... like we did before... together. I want to stay together!
- It's a mystery. Just because of a simple sentence... I get shaken... or I get happy. Kyo-kun is mysterious indeed. (After Kyo says, "You wanna kill some time... with me?")
- Why does... my heart... hurt so much? Like it's being torn apart. Is it because my outrageous wish... is so disheartening? Is it because I know... that some wishes... don't come true? Even so... I wish. I wish... (Her thoughts while wishing on stars with Kyo).
- [On first seeing Kyo]
English: The ceiling... Is he hurt...? Wh-who... Well, hello, orange-head...
- [After seeing Yuki, Shigure, and Kyo Sohma transform for the first time]
English: THEY'RE ALL ANIMALS!
- English: Mom taught me that people's differences are something to celebrate. When I thought of all the different shapes of human kindness -- imagining them as round or square...I got really excited. Your kindness is like a candle Sohma-kun. I can feel it light up, and I just want to smile. It's that kind of kindness.
- English: My mom told me, it's better to trust people than to doubt them. She said that people aren't born with kind hearts. When we're born, all we have are desires for food and material things. Selfish instincts, I guess. But she said that kindness is something that grows inside of each person's body, but it's up to us to nurture that kindness in our hearts. That's why kindness is different for every person.
"We're all born with selfish desires, so we can all relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is something made individually by each person, so it's easy to misunderstand when others are trying to be kind to you."
- It's not always easy to see the good in people. In some people, you might even doubt that it's there at all. But if you can somehow, find a way to believe...sometimes that's all it takes to help someone, to give them the strength to find the good in themselves.
- [To Kyo]
Being away from everyone else may be lonely, but being away from you will be even lonelier.
- [After being told by Grandpa that the remodelling of his house is finished]
English: [referring to the Sohmas] I made...a mistake. I was never going to be more than...a temporary guest... But I made the mistake...of thinking of them...as my family. [...] I made a mistake. They're not my family.
"Recess! Let's all have fun playing together. Listen, everyone!"
"You're an apple. You're a banana. Cherry! Pear! Peach! Honda, you're an onigiri...!"
Boys always teased me back then. It was probably just another one of their pranks. But I...
"Onigiri! that sounds good!"
"All right, here I go! Apple!"
...As they played the game...I waited for someone to call "onigiri." But no one called. I was very little then. I had almost forgotten about that. [...] But they knew...there would never be room for an onigiri...in a fruits basket.
- [To Kyo]
English: Seriously... Must you break something every time you come home? When are you going to learn? You're too weak.
- (referring to the letter for Kisa from the teacher) Here. It says to 'like yourself.' But good things about yourself... how are you supposed to find them? I only know things I hate about myself. 'Cause that's all I know, I hate myself. But even if you force yourself to find good things... it feels so empty. It doesn't work that way. People like your teacher just don't get it. I think... when you hear someone say they like you, for the first time... then you can begin to like yourself. I think when someone accepts you, for the first time... you feel like you can... forgive yourself a little. You can begin to face your fears... with courage.
- Skin him. Now. Barbeque the bastard!! (referring to Ayame)
- I never... [chuckles]... laughed this hard in front of my parents... (to Tohru)
- If I don't do it... that stupid cat will never let me hear the end of it...
- Leave her out of this... who we let in this house is really none of your concern. You're the one who doesn't belong here. (to Kyo)
- [To Shigure Sohma]
English: Don't eat. Don't come near me. Don't ever speak to me again.
Japanese: Don't you take a single bite. Get out!
- [To Kyo]
English: Perhaps if you'd just die you'd be reincarnated as something more pleasant.
- A woman who can talk tough while completely naked...amazing. (about Rin, the horse)
- I won't ask what you wish for. I only hope it comes true by your own two hands. (to Kyo)
- Don't you ever talk about Miss Honda that way again, you low life.
- STOP IMAGINING ME!
- Yo... Are you ready for me to break your neck... Rat-boy?
- You know... you really are something... (to Tohru)
- Ha ha! Eat my dust, rat-boy! (to Yuki)
- I'm gonna take my place as a true member of this family!
- You know you're a real wise ass, you know that?! (to Yuki)
- What the hell was that for!? I was winning and everything!
- Aw, hell! She's here!! (Runs from Kagura)
- I don't want to be anyone's burden. I don't want you to be my dad if it's going to hurt you. (thinking about Kazuma)
- Maybe I'm not perfect. Maybe I have a long way to go. But someday... someday I'll be able to stand and walk on my own. Without hurting anyone... and without being a burden. (to Kazuma)
- Someday...I'll be the kind of guy...who's worthy...of calling you...my dad!!
- Be selfish, say what you want once in a while. It's okay to let yourself be sad.
- [referring to Tohru]
English: She could choke on a grain of rice for all we know.
Japanese: If anyone can find a way to choke on rice, it's her.
- [To Yuki]
English: Liar! Moping around like a sad rat who lost his cheese!
- I love you. When did I start to love you so much?
- Tohru, I can't stand not being with you... I... because I love you.
- Yo...time to pay the piper rat boy...I'm here to collect
- [To Tohru]
English: Why did I get all irritated the moment you left? It didn't make any sense, so I got even more annoyed!
Japanese: Ever since you left I've been getting pissed off about everything, and because I couldn't understand why, it just pissed me off even more!
- Kagura... Regardless of what your reason was, when you played with me...I was happy. Thanks. (To Kagura)
- YOU SICK BASTARD! (to Shigure)
- You make me sick, you and your pathetic girly whining... You're not a MAN! You're just a little kitty-cat who's afraid to fight! Know what?! YOU CAN GO TO HELL! HAHAHAHAHA! UGH! (gets kicked by Kyo in the face)
- Especially Yuki... He was my first love after all... [Tohru stops walking]
- You pansy! What kind of girly punch is that? I didn't even feel it! (to Kyo)
- Oh, you know... I'm gonna do this, and a little of that... and I'm definitely gonna do THAT...!(to Kyo about Tohru[after calling her Kyo's girlfriend])
- Why...? How can she say things like that so easily? If we hear that from our parents, what are we supposed to do? Rin thinks that she's been "bad." But who do you think is the one who's being "bad" here!?! Having people take their anger out on us, being laughed at, not being taken seriously. We kids get hurt just like you do! Why can't you understand something so simple?! Apologize! APOLOGIZE! APOLOGIZE TO RIN!! [Rin's mom shuts the door] HEY!! I TOLD YOU TO APOLOGIZE!!
- A mystery... (Haru says this a lot, usually when it's not a mystery at all)
- So stupid! Stupid, Stupid! You're so stupid! You want to live your life scared of being ratted out?! Screw that! I'd rather let everyone know everything!! (to Yuki, Tohru, Kyo, and Momiji while destroying a classroom)
- Shut the hell up... You're really pissing me off. Quit acting like you're king of the mountain... you arrogant son of a bitch. Let me ask you this... If I wear a three-piece suit, does it mean I won't blackmail? If I won't pierce my ears, does it mean I won't break someone's heart? If my hair is black and shiny, does it mean I won't kill you?! Who the hell do you think you are? You think you're God?! Well?! Do you?! That's incredible! Say something, God!! Make a sound!! (Black Haru yelling at student council president for shouting at Momiji)
- Don't judge me based on the same story and laugh
- stop shoutin like your king of hte friggen world your making my ears bleed you basterd
- I just told you what I think, now say something DAMMIT!
- Starting today... I'll be with you! I'll always be by your side! (to a young Kyo)
- Kyo-chan! Kyo-chan! I do love you, Kyo-chan! I love you!!!
- It's just that I'm fighting the pain of lost love. I guess it's what you'd call a rude awakening... or, maybe... the weight of responsibility? But I'm fine. I'm fine. Caring for someone isn't based on logic. You can't really rationalize emotions. Once I think "I like him"... it's all over.
- SHII-CHAN, YOU SON OF A BITCH!!!! (after learning that Shigure invited Akito to the summer house)
- I was... relieved. I realized that, compared to the cat, I had it easy. (To kyo)
- ...There's nothing to feel sorry for on my behalf. I've been a very selfish girl. For the first time, I was able to see that. Thank you for worrying about me, mama.(To kagura's mother)
- I thought that, if I could shorten the distance between us, and if you would like me back, then the me that ran away -the dirty me- would be washed away. (To Kyo)
- It's Valentine's day, silly! It's the day when lovers are together!
- Oh? (starts giggling) SHIGUREEEE, YOU PERVERT!
- True kindness isn't something we're born with. It's something we had to work on... (to Tohru)
- Tohru, you must always be yourself and do things at your own pace. Someday... you'll catch up.
- We're all born with selfish desires so we can relate to those feelings in others. But kindness is created individually by each person... So it's easy to misunderstand when someone is trying to be kind to you... But, Tohru, people's differences are something to celebrate.
- If you don't protect that child, I will never forgive you! (referring to Tohru as she was talking to Kyo on the day of the accident)
- Ah, I'm sorry, I guess this is farewell. Let Tohru find happiness. Please by many people let her be loved. If you become perplexed or make errors, in the end have the kind of life that you can have pride in living. The kind where you can say, "I perservered." Repeating delightful things and sad things. And in that way keep getting older. I perservered. (Part of Kyoko's last words that were never said)
- I love you!! Even if you go bald or like underage girls, I can handle it! I'm crazy with love!! (Young Kyoko talking to Tohru's father/her husband)
- Idiots should do what idiots can to be quicker. (to Shigure)
- Is it okay for me to have my own life now, father, now that I'm not "special" anymore?
- DON'T LEAVE ME!!
- Father... I'm not...'special'... or 'God'...anymore. It's okay... for me to become... just plain old... 'Akito' now, right?
"Why don't you stop forcing yourself on him and calling it love? It's painful to watch" (To Kagura about Kyo)
"You talk big but you're nothing but Akito's toy!" (To Yuki)
"I won't let her...get involved!" (Referring to Tohru)
"I've had enough.I'm going home."
"I don't need you anymore. I'm tired of you." (To Haru)
"The biggest idiot is you! So why don't you go back to school or whatever it is that idiots like you do and don't ever bother me again! You piece of shit!" (To Yuki)
(thinking) I can't stand up...on my own. I can't go...any further. Not...all by myself.
(thinking) Haru understood me. He cared for me. He loved me.
"I have nothing but me. I'll give you myself. You can use me however you like for the rest of my life" (To Shigure)
"You're trying to break the curse. Stop it. What are you trying to do? Do you look down on us? Do you pity our wretched state? Don't bother! We never asked for your sympathy!" (To Tohru)
"A bond may seem like a beautiful thing from the outside...but if those involved see it as a burden, it's nothing but a shackle."
"I don't need someone as unreliable as you for a partner!" (To Tohru)
"How long are you gonna sit in front of me sobbing your little eyes out?! It's depressing!" (To Tohru)
"Eventually, someday, whatever! If it will break, and we'll be free then that's good enough for me!" (To Tohru)
"You don't look like you'd be endowned with something so great" (To Tohru, referring to 'womans intuition')
- Sometimes I think the whole world is conspiring to destroy my house.
- Even I... know what it's like to be jealous. (referring to Kureno and Akito's relationship)
- I'm ho-ome! Yuki-kun, Tohru-kun, I'm home! Oh, and let's not forget stupid-clumsy-Kyo-kun-who-lost-yet-another-fight!
- People aren't born social. Sure it comes easier to some people... but most people, like you, need to work at it. Some more than others. You're just inexperienced. For example, as a martial artist, you have the strentgth to break the table with your fist. But you also have the self-control to stop your fist right before it hits the table. You weren't born with that control, were you? You had to refine it. It's the same as interacting with people. But training for that isn't in the mountains - it has to be in town where people live. Mingling with people, hurting them, getting hurt by them. That's how you learn about people and about yourself. If you don't, you'll never care about anyone but yourself. You may be a black belt fighter, but you're still a white belt in dealing with people. For the sake of the girl who will one day tell you she loves you... Don't turn away. Keep training.
- With so much at stake... are you willing to take the one in 10,000 chance?
- [Singing] High school girls, high school girls. All for me, high school girls.
- Highschool girls highschool girls one, two, three all for me ( in the anime)
- We've just witnessed a classic example of what I like to call 'misdirected rage'. Though I believe the technical term is being an a$$. (In the English anime dub; commenting on Kyo's overreaction to Tohru leaving in episode 5.)
- So this is how...it feels... (After just being released from the curse.)
- Another story of Fruits Basket manga has begun. I have something very important to tell everyone. Yuki is actually...A GIRL! (Chapter 16, page 2)
- I do intend to pay you for your services.
- Sorry that's your cue to say "Shigure you perve" and roll your eyes, slap me, whatever.
- Yuki, what were all those crashing sounds I just heard? Kyo's not here, is he?
- Shigure: Tohru's cute, in a sweet sort of way.
- Hatori: For some reason when you say that it reeks of something illegal.
- But I think... I want to live with all my memories. Even if they're bad memories. Even if they're memories that only hurt me... that I'd rather forget. If I keep them and keep trying, without running away, then someday I'll be strong enough that those memories can't defeat me. I believe that because I want to think that there's no such thing as a memory that's ok to forget.
- Pain, suffering. It's pointless to just think about those things. The traveler (referring to "The Most Foolish Traveler" by Natsuki Takaya) didn't. That may be stupid to some people but that's not stupid to me. Yuki... Kyo... when you close your eyes, what do you think?
- I've gained freedom...and yet... it's so lonesome... (After declaring he was leaving Akito's side.)
- NOW, SPARKLE, MY HOUSE OF LEARNING!!
- Strangely enough, when you get older, the things you didn't understand when you were a child... start to make sense. "When this happened, I should have done that." "When that happened, I should have said this." Those types of things. You start to understand rather than regret. It may be closer to repentance. So it may be that I do want to repent and erase the ignorant self from my childhood. Maybe that's what they mean when they say adults are selfish.
- You can't have "hito", the character that means person, without two lines supporting each other. (a quote from Kinpachi)
- And what happened next, you ask?! It became the day of Yuki's romantic fantasy when he saw Tohru-kun in her lovely dress! Oh no Tori-san! You just imagined Tohru-kun in her dress, didn't you? SHAMEFUL!!
- As your older brother, I want you... TO SUBMIT TO ME!!! (to Yuki)
- YOU CAN'T DIE YUKI! The evening sun we saw as we swore that we would die together even now still shines within my heart! (to Yuki)
- Just as no matter how hard you try to keep it away... despair will attack you again and again. In the same manner hope will return to you. Again and again.
- Parents have no right to deprive their children of free will. But they do have a right to worry about them. Keep thinking about it. I don't mind if you take twice as long as other people... because I want to know the answer you give.
- Please... even if I die surrounded by snow that never melts... please let her be happy.
- Someday... no matter how cold it is now... the snow will melt. Without fail.
- It's not the fun and games you think. It's bizarre... sinister... cursed. (speaking of the curse to Tohru)
- Often times in memory, we have the tendency to overly romanticize the people we care about.
- [thinking] I only take family as patients and I still get worked to death.
- It's true, crying unexpectedly does make you feel better. When you're an adult you forget that.
- I started crying. It was the first time in my life that I felt forgiven. Like I was saved. Like the frozen snow that's melted by spring, the tears wouldn't stop.
- He's just...he's still a child. There are still a lot of things he can't give up. There's no rush.(To Ayame about Yuki)
- It's over between Kana and me. We're not going to get back together. Even if we were together, I would only miss her... (To Shigure and Ayame)
- Please stop adding to my misery. (to Ayame)
- Shigure: Tohru's cute, in a sweet sort of way.
- Hatori: For some reason when you say that it reeks of something illegal.
- I want to be the only one... who can help the one I care about.
- You're so gullible! Don't you have any standards? So if I told you to spin around, you'd do it? If they told you to jump off the cliff, would you do that, too? I can't stand people who have no individuality!! (To Tohru)
- So, what are you saying? You mean if your wife wasn't controlling you, you wouldn't be a villain? You mean you've never thought it's just because you're incompetent? And what's that supposed to mean anyway? (To the story, "Mogeta")
- Since when did the "Cat" set the rules for this house? You mean to tell me that you contribute more to this house than anyone else? Do you pay all the bills? I can't stand people who do absolutely nothing but complain all the time! (To Kyo)
- A sixth sense cannot make up for a total lack of common sense.
- ...If Tohru-kun were to die, I...I wonder if I'd be able to smile again one year later? Or if I'd wish that I could forget ever having met her. ...Tohru-kun... has tried really hard...
- I do...want to be with you...I want to be with you...! (To Tohru and Arisa)
- I...think that my performance today was a success because he played opposite me. Kyo-kun...Thank you. (To Kazuma)
- (During 'Sorta Cinderella', talking to lackluster Prince Charming Kyo, holding Cinderella's slipper) And you call yourself a man! This is a gift, a gift that will lead you back to her! Don't waste gifts! Think of all the star-crossed lovers who would kill for things this easy! (starts to cry) All those star-crossed lovers...who just wanna see each other... COME SEE ME DAMMIT!
- HANAJIMA, MY SPEAR! GET ME MY SPEAR!
- Hmm... you can go anywhere you want? Cuz' I'll go... anywhere with you, y'know. (To Kureno)
- Maybe I was lonely. Maybe I've just... always... been lonely.
- But even though she's gone... she's not really gone, right? That the light won't go on in that apartment... is a lie, right?
- Ayame: You didn't cheat on me while we were apart, did you, Gure-san?
- Shigure: Why would I do something like that, Aya?
- Shigure and Ayame: [with raised thumbs] ALL RIGHT!
- Hatsuharu: Whoa... I don't believe it. Someone just walked in who looks exactly like Yuki. A mystery.
- Yuki: [annoyed] It is me.
- Hatsuharu: But this is the main house.
- Yuki: That's why I snuck in.
- Hatsuharu: [grabs a camera and poses with Yuki] Peace. You too, Yuki, peace.
- Yuki: [extremely annoyed] What was that for?
- Hatsuharu: In commemoration of your coming to the main house after such a long time. And for me.
- Yuki: I commend your discipline... you stu... pid... cat.
- Kyo: YOU GIRLY MAN!
- Shigure: [thinking] He'll never change...
- Shigure: In the car... on the way back... he called Tohru "ugly". If you lock someone up... in a dark room... for a long, long time... and mentally torture them... it leaves indelible scars.
- Hatori: But Akito doesn't understand. If someone can cause those scars, there is sure to be someone who can heal them. That fact gives me more than a little courage.
- Shigure: And about what he said. Tohru's cute. She's adorable.
- Hatori: Coming from you, that sounds criminal..
- Shigure: [yawns] G'morning...
- Yuki: Um... Shigure, it's night. Why don't you get a normal sleep pattern?
- Shigure: I became an author so I wouldn't have to.
- [Notices Kisa]
- Shigure: Ohh? There's a child here that looks a lot like Sat-chan (Kisa's nickname). Should uncle go buy some candy?
- Yuki: Please tell me that's sleep talking, and that you haven't developed a paternal streak.
- Shigure: Yuki-kun is cold today, as usual... [hugging Kisa]
- Yuki: Let go of her. Your vulgar-germs will rub off on her.
- Principal: I've allowed that color, but I don't remember saying you could have long hair. Have it cut by tomorrow.
- Ayame: But Principal...
- Principal: No! Rules are made to be followed. I'll call the head of your family...
- Ayame: I... I come from a royal family.
- Principal: Huh?
- Ayame: I've been hiding it until now, but there's a country to which I must return.
- Principal: Wh-what?
- Ayame: If you must know, my hair has to be long because... it is said that the first king, the honorable Rurubara-sama, received a message when he reached the age of four. It was from Kandora-sama, who illumines the four directions with gold and red light. When Kandora-sama chanted "Ma Rudu Mani," his forehead shone with a blue light and, like a pony struck by a whip, Rurubara-sama's honorable person was liberated. With a wave of warm compassion, like trees that bend in a light breeze, his supple tresses grew... Now, meanwhile, Kashiparuu-sama was in his chambers sleeping peacefully, like a flower waiting to bud, and he gave voice to the pain that was in his heart, "Kampaniiru...!!" "Kampaniiru", in the tongue of my people, means, "Come forth, ocean of God's power; go forth, veneration!"
- Principal: Uh, errr, um, just - I'm sorry, but I have to go meet with some-
- Ayame: [grabs the principal's shoulder] I'm not done explaining about Kandora-sama.
- Principal: THAT'S OKAY!! YOU CAN HAVE LONG HAIR!!!
- [Kagura is doing laundry and tries to wring out Kyo's shirt, causing it to rip in two]
- Kyo: Tell me that didn't just happen!!
- Kagura: My love!
- Kyo: My shirt!
- Kyo: Why the hell is Kagura here??!!
- Kagura: I'm here for Valentines Day, silly! It's a very important day for lovers to be together!
- Kyo: You're not gonna find any lover in this house!
- Shigure: Kyo, behave please. I don't want the house getting... you know... smashed.
- Kyo: Damn it! I should've left on that journey sooner! How was I supposed to know today was Valentines Day?!
- Yuki: It's called a calendar, stupid.
- Ayame: [Takes Yuki's hand in his] Yuki...!! Let's let today be the day we deepen our brotherly bond!!
- Yuki: I'll see you sink to the bottom of the lake before I let that happen.
- Ayame: I see! I see! We'll always be together as brothers!
- Yuki: SINK BY YOURSELF!!
- Ayame: My, my. Welcome back, Yuki! And you're with your little friends!
- Kyo: WHO'RE YOU CALLING HIS FRIEND?!
- Ayame: By the way, Yuki...
- Kyo: HEY!
- Ayame: I just received some advice from Tori-san. From now on, I'm going to deepen our bond with my forceful conviction! This is the best way!
- Yuki: [thinking] ...The best way is for him to give up.
- Tohru: Forceful... conviction? What do you mean?
- Ayame: I MEAN--!! Yuki is my younger brother, and I am Yuki's older brother! Based on this indisputable fact, I will make this declaration! YUKI!! As your older brother, I want you... [points to Yuki] ...TO SUBMIT TO ME!!!
- [Echo] To me... to me... to me...
- Yuki: ..................! GO TO HELL!!
- [Yuki beats up Ayame, then picks him up in his zodiac form, spins him around, and throws him in the lake]
- Hatori: Poor Ayame... he just doesn't get it.
- Shigure: He really doesn't.
- Tohru: These cats must really like you a lot! [hugs one of them]
- Kyo: Yeah, don't ask why... they just come out on their own... same for dogs for Shigure, and rats for Yuki...
- Tohru: It must be fun!
- Kyo: HOW THE HELL IS IT FUN?! This one time I was walking on the mountains with Kagura we got surrounded by a whole pack of boars! I thought they were gonna eat us!
- Tohru: [giggles]
- Kyo: IT IS NOT FUNNY!
- Tohru: I'm sorry.
- Kyo: Well... what do you want?
- Tohru: I'm only worried about you, that's all... aren't you going to help at the preparations for the festival?
- Kyo: [glances at Tohru for a second] What do they need me for...? They've got Yuki, don't they? I doubt anyone's gonna miss me...
- Tohru: [gasps]
- Kagura: I'll take his good traits with his bad! Even if he turns into his true form, I'll stand by hi--
- Kyo: That's...enough! Keep talking like that...and I'll never forgive you!
- Kagura: WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'LL NEVER FORGIVE ME?!
- Kyo: OWWWWW!
- Kagura: I do love him! Even if he changes into his other fo- [Kyo covered her mouth]
- Kyo: Shut your mouth, right now. One more word, and... and I'll... [Kagura took his arm and started breaking it]
- Kagura: AND YOU'LL WHAT, LOVE?!
- Kyo: Aaaaaaaaaaaaghhhh!
- Shigure: Ah... Ha'ri. I've never heard you so eager to come over here... Could it be that you are secretly lovey-dovey with Tohru?! [silence from Hatori] I WAS RIGHT, WASN'T I?!?! Ooh ooh, lovey-lovey, kissy-kissy!!
- Hatori: I was stunned by the stupidity of what you just said.
- Shigure: Ah-hah! What's this Hatori? I don't think I've ever heard you so eager to come over! Could it be you have a secret crush on Tohru? [silence from Hatori] Ah! I guessed right, didn't I? You naughty, naughty man, you!
- Hatori: No, I was simply too amazed by your stupidity to say anything.
- Momiji: Hey Tohru! Let's take a bath together! [Kyo took Momiji's head and sat on his back]
- Kyo: Why you little--! Now who's the pervert? (Momiji called Kyo a perv earlier, for "wanting" to share the same room as Tohru)
- Momiji: Waaahhh! Kyo's picking on meee!
- Kagura: No! You don't know how a woman feels when she's in love!
- Shigure: [chuckles] Oh, 'yes I do'... Well, maybe I don't have enough women to venture I guess...
- Kagura: Huh?
- Shigure: That's your cue to shout, "Shigure, you big perv!" Roll your eyes, and slap me, whatever...
- Kagura: Ahh! Shigure!!! You big perv! [chases him whilst pummeling him in the back]
- Shigure: AAAAAAARGHH!
- Momiji: Hey. Hey, Tohru! You know about the Zodiac thing, right!
- Tohru: Uh, yes.
- Momiji: Then I can hug you!
- Kyo: Hold it, lover-boy.
- Momiji: But she won't mind if I transform, right?
- Kyo: That's not the problem! Think of where we are!
- Momiji: Are you hogging Tohru because she's so cute?! I bet Kyo hugs her every day!
- Kyo: You stu--! Who would want to--!
- Momiji: My turn! [hugs Tohru and transforms into a rabbit]
- Momiji: Hey, Tohru! You already know about the zodiac, right?
- Tohru: Mmm-hmm!
- Momiji: Yay! That means I can hug you! [runs to Tohru]
- Kyo: Wait a minute, loverboy! Do you even realize where you are?! [holding Momiji's head]
- Momiji: Kyo, you're just keeping Tohru all to yourself 'cause she's so cute! You probably hug her everyday!
- Kyo: HELL NO! WHO WOULD WANT TO DO THAT?! [Lets Momiji go]
- Momiji: ME!! [hugs Tohru and transforms into a rabbit]
- Kagura: Here, Kyo! A chocolate heart stuffed with my love, all for YOU!
- Kyo: KEEP IT! What man in his right mind would eat that girly, sugary crap?!
- Tohru: Ummm... Kyo? Do you really not like chocolates?
- Kyo: NO! I hate it!
- Kagura: [creepy voice] SHUT UP AND EAT IT!
- Kyo: AH!
- Kagura: Did you hear me?! I said eat, damn you!
- Kyo: NO!
- Kagura: EAT!
- Kyo: NO means NO, woman!
- Kagura: EAT IT!!!
- Kyo: You'll have to kill me first!
- Kagura: I'm starting to get angry!!!
- Kyo: NO!
- Shigure: Tohru? What's for breakfast? I'm starving... Oh. I forgot, our dear sweet Tohru has gone away.
- Yuki: Sounds like you forgot on purpose.
- Kyo: Dammit, can't you do anything right?
- Yuki: You're the last person I need to hear from right now.
- Kyo: What's that supposed to mean?! You tryin' to start something?!
- Arisa: Quit horsing around, you two.
- Kyo: Who asked you, you dirty bitch!
- [Arisa grabs Kyo with a mop]
- Arisa: You gonna talk to me like that after I came here to help you out of the goodness of my heart?
- Shigure: Jason is a bear they say lives on a mountain. You don't know much, do you?
- Kyo: Shut up! I knew that!
- Hatori: No you didn't.
- Shigure: [With Momiji, finds Tohru with Hatori] So, Tohru, did you find out what zodiac animal Hatori is?
- Hatori: [In a grim tone] Say one more word, Shigure, and the entire publishing industry will know of every embarrasing thing you did since you were four.
- Shigure: Sorry, Tohru, my lips are sealed!
- Kagura: Ky-o-kuuun!
- Kagura: Tee hee hee! [to a sweating Kyo] Welcome home...my Kyo-kun!
[Kyo closes the door - a loud slam is heard]
- Tohru: Ky-ky...Kyo-kun?! Just now, I heard a "slam" sound...
- Yuki: [thinking] It'll take more than a door to stop her...
- Kagura: Kyo-kun?! Kyo-kun, dear, what's wrong?! The door closed?!
- Kyo: Yeah, it's closed! And it won't ever open again!
[Kagura's fist punches a hole through the door]
- Kagura: [grabs Kyo through the hole] Open it.
- Kyo: .................'kay.
- [Tohru's crying and wishing upon the stars up on the roof]
- Tohru: Kyo-kun, what do you wish for?
- Kyo: For a certain someone... to stop crying. [wipes away her tears]
- Shigure: At least this summer won't be a complete bust. I can still be happy watching the soap opera unfold.
- Kyo: What are you talking about?
- Shigure: Wouldn't it be nice if your friendship were to, say...deepen?
- Kyo: Uh... still don't know what you're talking about.
- Shigure: MY GOD MAN, YOU'RE DENSE!! YOU'RE AS DENSE AS AN OGRE! DENSE AS LEAD! IF A TACK IS SHARP, YOU'RE THE THING FARTHEST FROM IT! A MAN LIKE YOU HAS NO RIGHT TO HAVE SUMMER! PACK YOUR BAGS AND LEAVE THIS PLACE AT ONCE!
- Kyo: WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!
- Shigure: THE FACT THAT YOU STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND AFTER I'VE MADE IT SO CRYSTAL CLEAR IS PROOF THAT YOU ARE AN IDIOT OF THE HIGHEST ORDER!
- Tohru: [enters after hearing commotion] Wh-What's the matter?
- Shigure: Tohru-kun, it's no use! Kyo-kun is wasted on you. Unlike me, he shows no promise whatsoever! You mustn't get near him!
- Kyo: At least I get that I'm really being made fun of!
- Tohru: (Talking about Rin) I wonder what she came here to do? She seemed to be in so much pain...
- Shigure: Hmmm... the truth is... Rin and I are going out.
- Tohru: Eh...?! Ah! R-r-really?! I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pried!
- Shigure: Nah, I'm just pulling your leg. Sorry, sorry.
- Hatori: Pay attention to the circumstances before you make such flippant comments.
- Tohru: I...I won't lose! Why hide it? I'm the mean stepsister!
- Kyo: (Purposely holding up the script up high so she can't get it) Uh, you're not the one being mean.
- Yuki: And how old are we turning this year?
- Yuki: I think I'll go back to the main house for New Year's.
- Tohru: EH?!
- Shigure: Oh, my.
- Yuki: Just for one night. I'll come back the evening of New Year's Day.
- Shigure: Something up, Yuki-kun? That doesn't sound like you. Did you hit your head?
- Yuki: I did not. ...I'll be going.
- Tohru: All right!
- Shigure: Hmm...if you're going to bother going back, you should take your time--stay longer than a night.
- Yuki: ......Well...I'm not sure of leaving the two of them alone.
- Kyo and Tohru: ?
- Shigure: [to Kyo] YOU...YOU BEAST!
- Kyo: I'm gonna kill you.
- Shigure: Not to worry, Tohru-kun! We'll put together a plan to protect you from the evil clutches of fiendish Kyo-kun.
- Tohru: Ha?
- Yuki: [to Kyo] Beast.
- Kyo: I'm gonna kill you both. Together.
- Ayame: (picking up barely-injured Yuki) You musn't die, Yuki! The setting sun we watched the day we pledged by the Seine together sparkles like gold in my heart even now!
- Yuki: We never saw that! We never pledged! Stop making up past events and put me down!
- Ayame: Be strong, Yuki!
- Yuki: (while picking up Machi's things) Hey. Is this the maple leaf I gave you?
- Machi: (wide eyes) No! Give it back! <thinking> I was so asleep I even packed that...
- Yuki: Oh...maybe I have the wrong leaf.
- Machi: You're wrong!
- Yuki: Okay. Sorry. Of course it was a different leaf.
- Machi: ....but you're not...technically wrong.
- Yuki: Which is it, Machi?
- Machi: I mean, there isn't any hidden meaning behind it. I just wasn't sure about throwing it away, so I made a bookmark. I made it myself. There's nothing beyond that...
- Yuki: Thank you.
- Machi: ...For what?
- Yuki: (smiling) Well, you're taking good care of it! I'm glad.
- Machi: (blushing, embarassed) I...I'M NOT TAKING CARE OF IT!!
- Yuki: HUH? But...you made a bookmark.
- Machi: Slamming it into books doesn't mean I'm taking care of it!
- Yuki: But you're using it because you like it, right?
- Machi: I don't like it! It's big and hard to use--in fact, you can have it back!
- Yuki: Don't give it back!!
- Manabe: (arriving on the scene, and seeing Yuki and Machi arguing/fighting) Hunh. I kind of want to ask, but I also kinda don't. Do I risk it?
- Yuki: Ask. Take the risk.
- Manabe: Fine. What the hell?
- Yuki: ....the short version here, is that Machi is being inflexible!
- Manabe: The short version tells me jack...
(Set in the past...)
- Katsuya Honda: (after witnessing Kyoko yelling) What's making you so angry?
- Kyoko: ...huh? Who're you? (slides away) Whatever. You can take your preaching and shove it up your--
- Katsuya: I'm not going to preach. Just tell me what's so irritating...
- Kyoko: That's none of your damn buisness!
- Katsuya: Maybe not. But I'm curious.
- Kyoko: It's everything, you prick! God, you're so annoying! It's everything, okay?! EVERYTHING PISSES ME OFF! Them! And them! And them! And you! Everyone and everything! I HATE YOUR GOD-DAMN GUTS! You just...You all treat people like garbage. You're all just as bad! QUIT TRYING TO ACT LIKE YOU'RE ALL FRIGGIN' PERFECT! (slams fist down on table) Leave me alone. I wish everyone would just...go. Get out of my life. I'd be better off with you dead! Die! Go to hell! Die! (keeps slamming fist down on table) You disappear! You fall apart!
- Katsuya: (staying calm) Really? I think you want them to care. You want them to look at you, don't you? All of those people. You want them to need you. You want them.....to listen to you. To understand, somehow. You want them to accept you. I think.....you want them to love you. (pauses to take off glasses) You know something? I'd like that too.
- Kyoko: Wh-Why? Why did I...turn out...like this? (remembers her mother saying "Why did you turn out like this!") You're asking me? That's what...that's what I want to know. Why? Why...Did....I...?! <thinking> Where did she go wrong? What was her mistake? I'm miserable. I FEEL SO ALONE! (starts to cry) It was all I wanted. To love people....and be loved. I wanted to be happy.
- Katsuya: ...You're lonely? All right. (grabs her hand and yanks her up from the table) Let's sneak out of here. Together.
- Kyoko: IT'S THE OCEAN! OCEAN OCEAN OCEAN!
- Katsuya: You're like a dog, Miss No-Eyebrows.
- Kyoko: It's the ocean, isn't it? STUPID OCEAN!
- Tohru: It must've been very painful, Akito...being told the day you were born, you were going die. It must've been so painful.
- Akito: What was!? What would you know about it!?!
- Tohru: You're right. I can't even imagine how awful it would be to know something like that, or how terrifying. Shigure and Yuki and Kyo I'm sure they feel the same way, and Hatori too. And when you pass away, we'll be sad. We'll be very sad to lose you. And so...
- Akito: Heh. Who's going to be sad? Everyone is able to live thanks to me. They all hope I will be gone quickly. I was born in order to die. That's how it was decided.
- Tohru: But why? Who decided it had to be like that? Akito, right now you're alive aren't you?
- Akito: Alive!? You call this being alive, do you?! It's been decided! It's been decided, and they never even asked me!
- Tohru: I-I didn't know my mom was going to die-
- Akito: Silence! Stop talking! Hatori, I want you to erase this girl's memory. Do it now! (Hatori hesitates) Hatori!
- Tohru: I wanted her to live a long time. I wanted her to be here to watch me.
- Akito (voice cracking): Stop crying! Stop it, stop crying!
- Tohru: And I don't know what your family's curse is, but I'm happy. I'm happy that I know you, Akito. And I don't regret meeting you, or anyone, not at all. I wanna know you. Please tell me how you feel. Even if you're bitter or angry or frustrated, that's okay because the important thing now, Akito... You're alive. (pause; Akito lets Tohru's hair go; he knocks Yuki and Shigure down)
- Akito: All right. What is it?
- Hatsuharu: Why'd you push Rin out a window? Why would you do something like that?
- Akito: What? I did...what? I pushed Isuzu? That's news to me. Who told you that?
- Hatsuharu: The heavens revealed it.
- Akito: Huh? (laughs) You never change do you? You're as dumb as ever.
- Hatsuharu: Don't laugh!! Why would you do that? Were you trying to kill her?
- Akito:...Hmph. You'll believe the heavens, but you won't believe your God. Fine. Let me ask you something, Hatsuharu. Why would you get so angry about Isuzu in the first place? You've always been kind to her. Do you feel sorry for her? Did you feel you couldn't leave her? Maybe it was just pity.
- Hatsuharu: (punches wall) Because I love her! And I know you knew that! Don't pretend you didn't! ...Where is she? Where's Rin? You know. Don't you?! You know where she is!
- Akito:...This is ridiculous. Where did you get an idea like that?
- Hatsuharu: You were always cold to Rin. If I was always kind to her...then you...were always cold. To Rin. To women. I know how much you hate them! Twice as much as anyone else! You have no problem saying cruel things. You do cruel things. If you're supposed to be our Master...you have to be more--
- Akito: So you realize all that, do you? Interesting. And yet, you tell me things like "I love Rin", right? Even though you knew that I hate Isuzu? You told Isuzu that you love her, didn't you? Even though you knew?
- Hatsuharu:...Where is she? Where? Where is Rin right now?
- Akito: You're so obstinate. Look I don't know--
- Hatsuharu: (grabs Akito) Where is she?! Where did you put her?! Get her out!
- Akito: I just told you!--I don't know! You always make everything my fault!
- Manabe: (sighs) I guess there's no hope for you, Yuki. You were probably brought up as such a spoiled little rich girl...
- Yuki: (pulls on his ear)
- Manabe: OWOWOW BOY! I mean spoiled little rich BOY!
- Yuki: Either way, you're insulting me.
- Manabe: Why do we have to go around introducing ourselves to all the clubs? It's not like we're celebreties or anything.
- Yuki: We have to show how we're here to help them.
- Manabe: We DO help them. We're the School Defence Force that fights against EVIL, you know.
- Yuki: Can you stop saying that with a straight face? It makes me nervous.
...and who exactly do you mean by "evil", anyways?
- Manabe: I'm still taking applications.
- Ayame: YOU CAN'T DIE, YUKI! The evening sun we saw as we swore we would die together even now still shines in my heart!
- Yuki: I didn't swear anything and I didn't see anything!
- Shigure: Kyo, I heard you gave Tohru a little scare while you were prowling around last night. (singsong voice): Kyo's a stalker. Kyo's a stalker.
- Kyo: YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT! AND YOU- (Tohru) NEXT TIME YOU NEED SOMEONE TO WALK YOU HOME, DON'T LOOK AT ME!
- Tohru: That's okay. Anyway, I'd much see you here at the table like this more often. I'm glad you're eating. How do you like the food?
- Kyo: Hmm? (he looks at Yuki; he groans) What do you want?!
- Yuki: Nothing.
- Kyo: YOU WERE STARING AT ME?!
- Yuki: No, just looking.
- Kyo: WELL, I GUESS THERE'S A FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING!
- Tohru: Do you like it?
- Kyo: NO, I DON'T!! (Tohru's mouth gaps open, silence)
- Shigure: By the way, this is the one and only Tohru Honda. You came to see her today, right?
- Ayame: Hmm? ...Oh, yes, that's right! I'm sorry about earlier. I am Yuki's older brother, Ayame.
- Tohru: Oh, right! Pleased to meet you!
- Ayame: So you really do exist. The princess I've heard so much about. (Tohru smiles nervously) A single, blooming flower trapped in a house with stinking men. Are they treating you well, princess?
- Shigure (nervously): You make it sound that she's been kidnapped.
- Yuki (angrily, but coolly): Brother, you're being rude. Stop making fun of her!
- Ayame: Making fun? Honestly, I'm giving Tohru nothing, but the highest respect. So princess, why don't you bring us some tea? (he pats the table) And lunch would be nice.
- Yuki and Kyo: THAT'S NOT RESPECT!!
- Ayame: Of course; you're right. What was I thinking? Let me try again. (he holds his hand out) Come, Tohru. (they skip together) We're going out to eat!
- Tohru: Uh, I don't know.
- Ayame: Don't worry; it's my treat! (he laughs giddily; the door closes; Kyo and Yuki glare at Shigure)
- Shigure (nervously): Now there's use getting angry at me.
- Tohru: Momiji!
- Momiji (in a girl's uniform with a cap and shorts): Tohru! (he laughs; Kyo stares at him in anger and surprise; Tohru smiles)
- Tohru: Hi there! (Momiji lunges toward her for a hug; Kyo knocks him down)
- Kyo: What are you, stupid?!
- Momiji: Waaahhh! Kyo's hitting me! (he starts crying)
- Kyo: IDIOT! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN A GIRL'S UNIFORM?!
- Shigure: So, anyway, I was wondering if you can come and take a look at Tohru's cut. That is, when you think you can spare the time.
- Hatori: Fine. I'll stop by the house this evening.
- Shigure: Aha. What's this, Hatori? I don't think I've ever heard you sound so eager to come over. Could it be you have a secret crush on Tohru??
- Hatori: ...
- Shigure: Ha! I guessed right, didn't I?! You naughty, naughty man!
- Hatori: I was simply too amazed by your stupidity to say anything.
- Kyo (hits Momiji on the head; Momiji cries): NOW YOU STAY HERE AND SIT STILL!
- Momiji: Waahh! Somebody, Kyo hit me! (Tohru pulls a curtain back)
- Tohru: Is everything okay?
- Momiji (excitedly): You're Tohru! Right? Tohru Honda? Did I get it right?
- Tohru: Uh-huh; that's me.
- Momiji: Now me! Guess who I am!
- Tohru: You're Momiji.
- Momiji: Ah! You remembered my name! I'm so happy! Tohru, let's be friends, okay?
- Tohru: Sure. (Kyo groans)
- Momiji: Hey, Tohru, so you already know about the whole Zodiac thing, right? Right??
- Tohru: Yeah.
- Momiji: That’s great! I can hug you! (he laughs, lunges forward, but is stopped by Kyo)
- Kyo: Hold it, lover boy!
- Momiji: But Tohru doesn’t mind if I transform in front of her, do you, Tohru?!
- Kyo: Do you even know where you are?! (Tohru laughs)
- Tohru (thinking): I guess he is a member of the Zodiac after all.
- Momiji: Kyo, you’re just trying to keep Tohru all to yourself ‘cause she’s so cute. You’d probably hug her everyday. (Kyo lets him go)
- Kyo: Whoa, hell no! Who would want to do that?! (Momiji hugs Tohru)
- Momiji: MEEEEEEEE! (Poof!)
- Tohru: Excuse me. Are you... Akito? (flashback of Akito at the main Sohma house; Akito stops in front of her)
- Akito: Yes, I am... Miss Tohru Honda. (Tohru's eyes widen)
- Tohru: Uh, pleased to meet you. (she bows; thinking) I don't believe it. W-why would Akito be here at school? Oh, I never thought I'd have to meet him by myself like this! But I'm surprised; h-he looks so young, and he's handsome, too, almost as handsome as Yuki. Still, this is the same person who hurt Hatori's eye. (Akito chuckles)
- Akito: You're very polite. I'm glad. You seem to be a good person. And not only that, you're extremely cute. (Tohru looks up)
- Tohru: Oh no, not really! (Akito chuckles)
- Akito: So, you're modest, too. I mean it. You really are cute. I'm sorry I didn't say hello when I saw you at the main house. I tend to be rather shy around strangers. I hope you're not angry.
- Tohru: Oh no! Not at all!
- Akito: Well, that's good. I should introduce myself properly. I'm Akito, head of the Sohma family. I'm pleased to meet you.
- Tohru: No, no! The pleasure's all mine, really! (she whimpers; thinking) It's strange. His personality seems much more gentle than I imagined.
- Akito: I do hope you and I can be friends from now on... (he stares at her) ...just as you are with Yuki and Kyo.
- Tohru (after running into Ritsu again after school): So those are for Shigure?
- Ritsu: Uh-huh. He asked me to pick them up. He said he just couldn't write without fresh jelly buns.
- Tohru: Yeah. That sounds like something he'd say. (pause)
- Ritsu and Tohru (in unison): Uh...
- Tohru: Yes? Were you going to say something?
- Ritsu: No, no, Tohru. You were going to say something first.
- Tohru: No, really; I don't mind. Please, go right ahead.
- Ritsu: No, really; that's all right. After you please.
- Tohru: Oh no, I just couldn't!
- Ritsu: Me either!
- Tohru: Um, you know, for some reason, I don't think this is getting us anywhere.