Gordon David Strachan OBE (born 9 February 1957) is a Scottish football manager and pundit. He is the current manager of the Glasgow club Celtic F.C.. His most recent TV work was with the BBC team at the 2006 World Cup. Earlier in his career he was a successful football player at Aberdeen, Manchester United, Leeds United and Scotland.
Reporter: You must be pleased with the performance in the last 20 minutes?
Strachan: Anyone can play well when they're 2-0 down. That's just propaganda.
(After Coventry lost 2-0 at Old Trafford in 1997).
Reporter: What did you think of your performance today?
Strachan: Newcastle were better in the areas that counted. We did well between the two boxes but that's just propaganda.
(After Southampton lost 3-1 at Newcastle in Feb 2002. Strachan clearly fancies a career in politics with these references to propaganda.)
- It's an incredible rise to stardom. At 17 you're more likely to get a call from Michael Jackson than Sven Goran Eriksson.
- On Wayne Rooney.
- Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?
Strachan: I don't care, I'm Scottish.
Reporter: Gordon, if you were English?
Strachan: I'd top myself.
- Reporter: Gordon, can we have a quick word please?
- Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."
- Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.
- Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?
Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?
- Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.
- I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yogurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.
- Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?
Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.
- Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.
- Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick. Down negative man, down!
- Reporter: Where will Marian Pahars fit into the team line-up?
Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.
- Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.
- Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there....
- Reporter: When it's 1-0 do you always feel there is a chance of getting back in it?
Strachan: Yes, and when it's 5-0 I always feel there's no chance of getting back in it.
- Reporter: And the main is thing is to win tommorow?
Strachan: No, No. The main thing is to enjoy life and all the rest of it, and be healthy.
- Strachan: We were just boring, to be honest with you; totally and utterly boring.
Reporter: And what do you put that down to?
Strachan: Boring football.
- If a Frenchman goes on about seagulls, trawlers and sardines, he’s called a philosopher. I’d just be called a short Scottish bum talking crap. In response to Eric Cantona's famous quote following the 1995 Crystal Palace incident.
- You win games with a big heart and my team had a big heart(after winning 2-1 against Shaktar Donetsk in Champions League).
- I still go to the cinema with my wife. I still kiss her. She doesn't like it, but there you go.
- On Artur Boruc's activities during his 'weekend off' (Recovering from injury in Poland)