The really happy person is the one who can enjoy the scenery, even when they have to take a detour.Sir James Jeans
- I put everything I had into it – all my feelings and everything I'd learned in 46 years of living, about family life and fathers and children. And my feelings about racial justice and inequality and opportunity.
- On his role as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird
- I'm not a do-gooder. It embarrassed me to be classified as a humanitarian. I simply take part in activities that I believe in.
- It just seems silly to me that something so right and simple has to be fought for at all.
- Speaking at the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation awards
- They say the bad guys are more interesting to play but there is more to it than that — playing the good guys is more challenging because it's harder to make them interesting.
- You have to dream, you have to have a vision, and you have to set a goal for yourself that might even scare you a little because sometimes that seems far beyond your reach. Then I think you have to develop a kind of resistance to rejection, and to the disappointments that are sure to come your way.