Neon Genesis Evangelion (世紀エヴァンゲリオン) is a 1995 Anime series produced by Studio Gainax and directed by Hideaki Anno. It spawned a manga series, two movies, Evangelion: Death and Rebirth, and The End of Evangelion, and several video games, among others. A tetralogy of films which are collectively known as Rebuild of Evangelion is currently being released by Gainax presenting a retelling of the story and an alternate ending.
- Deputy Commander Fuyutsuki: "It's been 15 years"Commander Gendo Ikari: "Yes. Well, now we know for sure: the Angels are back".
- Misato Katsuragi: (while standing on an elevated people mover transporting her through NERV base, which is clearly visible from lower levels) "It's because of these things that I hate to wear a skirt around here".
- Ritsuko Akagi: "This is Man's ultimate fighting machine: the synthetic life-form known as Evangelion Unit 01. Built here in secret, it is Mankind's last hope".
- Shinji Ikari: "I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away..."
- (Misato is talking to Ritsuko on the phone)Ritsuko Akagi: "What did you say?!"Misato Katsuragi: "You heard me: I said I'd be taking Shinji home to live at my place, okay? I've already got permission from the brass...(sarcastically)...And don't worry, I won't "put the moves" on him!"Ritsuko: (Misato holds her phone away from her head as Ritsuko yells loudly) "OF COURSE YOU'RE NOT!! How could you even think of such a thing?! You've got no shame at all!---"Misato: ---"Some people don't have any sense of humor".
- Misato: (to Shinji) "This is your home, so feel free to take advantage of everything here...except of course of me, that is!"
- [asking about what caused Unit 00 to go berserk during an activation test]Misato: "So what did happen?"Ritsuko: "I don't know. But she could have..."Misato: "Did something occur to you?"Ritsuko: (to herself) "No...it can't be that..."
- [Shinji is staring at Rei in the distance, who is wearing a bathing suit]Toji: "Hey, big shot! What are you staring at so intently?"Shinji: "Um, nothing!"Kensuke: "He's ogling Rei!"Shinji: "I-I-I am not!"Kensuke: "Ah, come on!" (singsong voice) "we saw you looking!"Toji: "Yeah, at Rei's mammaries! Rei's silky thighs!Kensuke: "Yeah!"Toji: "Her calves! Her...Toji and Kensuke: (in unision) "...NAUGHTY BITS!!".
- [Shinji accidentally falls on top of the naked Rei, his hand directly on her breast, and Shinji freezes in shock]Rei: [a few seconds later, in an extremely calm voice] "Will you get off?"Shinji: (Jumps to his feet) "I-I-I..." (Rei gets up and walks to the other side of the room) "...uh, uh, uh..."Rei: (slides a pair of panties on; in a calm, almost confused voice) "...what?"
- Asuka (Starting up Eva Unit 02, English dub): "LCL Einlass. Anfang der Bewegung, bestätigt. Anfang des Nervenanschlusses, bestätigt. Anfang nächster die Herzmonitor, bestätigt. Synchro-start, nun!" (message displays: "FEHLER")
- Asuka (Starting up Eva Unit 02, Japanese dub): "LCL Füllung. Anfang der Bewegung. Anfang des Nervenanschlusses. Auslöses von Linksneigung. Synchro-start." (message displays: "FEHLER")
- Asuka (Starting up Eva Unit 02, German dub): "Systemsprache: Deutsch. Aktivierungssequenz initiieren. Neuralverbindung etablieren und LCL einleiten. Gehirnwellen- und Synapsenfeinabstimmung: Positiv. Beginne Synchronisation!" (message displays: "FEHLER")
Shinji: "Its...a programming error?"Asuka: "It's thought-noise. I told you not to disturb me."Shinji: "What do you mean?"Asuka: "You're thinking in Japanese aren't you? If you must think, do it in German!"Shinji: "Well I'll try...strudel...bratwurst..."Asuka: "Dummkopf!" (German: "Fool!") "Nevermind... we'll start over again, switch language to Japanaese. Evangelion unit 02, start!
- (Back in school, speaking of Asuka)Toji: "She may have looked cute, but she was a real female dog, if you know what I mean."Kensuke: "Well, at least we won't have to see her again". Toji: "Yeah, but Mr. Bigshot here still has to go work with her every day. I feel sorry for him..." (classroom door opens and Toji, Kensuke, and Shinji react in shock; Toji fall out of his desk and points) "...LOOK!"Asuka: (Asuka walks up to the front board wearing a class uniform, and writes her name on it in ornate Latin letters) "I'm Asuka Langley Soryu. Charmed, huh?"
- When a gust of wind blows up Asuka's skirt, Toji peeks up her skirt. Asuka slaps him.
- Toji: What'd you do that for?!!
- Asuka: That's the viewing fee. Quite a bargain, nicht?
- Toji: It's overpriced. But that's okay, here's your change! Ha ha!!!
- Toji pulls down his pants and boxers, exposing himself to Asuka.
- Asuka: (slapping Toji a second time) Ahh! Unverschämter Idiot! (German: "Impudent idiot!") So, which one is the famous Third Child? (Glances at a dejected Toji) Ach, nein... (German: "Oh, no...")
- Misato: (indicating Shinji) Don't worry, Asuka, it's him.
- Asuka: (examining Shinji) Hmmm... not much to look at.
"Both of You, Dance Like You Want to Win!"
- One morning at school:
Asuka: Guten morgen, Shinji! (good morning)
Shinji: (struggling to speak German) "Guten... morgen."
Asuka: Hey! Why so gloomy? I'm the most popular girl in school! (flicking Shinji's nose) You should appreciate your good fortune! ... Hey, the other one's here too, isn't she?
Shinji: (puzzled) ...Other one?
Asuka: What are you, stupid?!? I'm talking about the First Child, of course!
Shinji: (points to Rei) Oh. ... Ayanami.
Asuka (to Rei): Hell-oooooo! You must be Rei Ayanami, the pilot of the prototype. I'm Asuka, Asuka Langley Sohryu. I'm the designated pilot of Eva Two. Let's be good friends.
Rei: What for?
Asuka: Because it'd be convenient, you know what I mean?
Rei: If I am ordered to, I will do it.
Asuka: Ooooo, freak-a-zoid.
- Asuka: (threatening Shinji through the dividing wall between her room and his) This is the unbreakable Wall of Jericho.
Shinji: What... ?
Asuka: If you invade my side over this wall, you shall be executed. A child must not be awake this late, go to bed!
- English dub version of same scene
Asuka: This is the impenetrable Wall of Jericho, Third Child!
Shinji: What... ?
Asuka: Take one step over this wall, and you'll be a dead man! And now it's time to go to bed, children!
The Day Tokyo-3 Stood Still
- Rei Ayanami: "Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire."
WEAVING A STORY
Rei gives a poem-like monologue in this episode. It is not necessarily an actual poem, and may simply be Rei's comments on random images that Unit 01 is showing her. The contents of the speech in the English dubbed version differ somewhat from those of the original monologue:
English subtitles (translated)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.
Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?
I am myself. This object is me, the figure which forms me. This is the me that is visible, though it feels as if this is not me. A strange feeling. My body seems as if it is melting. I cannot see myself. My figure is fading away. I am aware of someone else. Who is there before me? Ikari-kun. I know this person. Major Katsuragi. Dr. Akagi. People, my classmates. The pilot of Unit Two. Commander Ikari. Who are you? Who are you? Who are you?"
"Mountain, heavy are the mountains. But that changes, with the passage of time. Sky, blue sky, what your eyes can't see; What your eyes can see. The sun, one, only one. Water; it is agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers, so many the same, so many without purpose. Sky, sky of red, red the color, the color I hate. Liquid flows, it drips, ripples, and pours. Blood, scent of blood, woman who does not bleed. From the red soil the humans come. Humans made by man and woman. City, a human creation. Eva, a human creation as well. What are humans? Are they creations of God? Humans, that which is created by humans. This is that which is mine. My life, my heart. I am a vessel for my thoughts. The entry plug, the throne of the soul.
Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?
I am I. This object that is, is myself. That which forms me. This is the self that can be seen, and yet this is not like that which is myself. A strange feeling. My body feels as if it is melting. I can no longer see myself... my form, my shape fades from view. Awareness dawns of someone who is not me. Who is here? There? Beyond me, here. Shinji. This person I know. Major Katsuragi. Dr. Akagi. People, my classmates. The pilot of Unit Two. Commander Ikari. Who are you? Who are you? Who are you?"
Those women longed for the touch of others' lips, and thus invited their kisses.
Gendo Ikari: "Burying memories is Man's way of surviving. But there are some things a Man should never forget. Yui taught me that one, irreplaceable thing, Shinji."
Splitting of the Breast
- Makoto Hyuga: You look pretty worn to the bone, Major Katsuragi.Misato Katsuragi: I have reasons for being worn. Private ones.Ritsuko Akagi: Kaji's bone?Misato: SHUT YOUR FACE! (Calmer) Anyway, how's the Third child doing?
- Asuka Langley Soryu: "Oh my, oh my. Acting by himself, ignoring the plan, yeah this is all Shinji's fault. Just because he scored highest on yesterday's test, how could he say "I'll show you how it's done"? He was so elated..." (Rei walks up to Asuka) "...what, you don't want to hear bad things about Shinji, huh?!"
Rei Ayanami: (for once, showing a slight hint of real annoyance) "Do you pilot Eva for the praise of others?"Asuka: (taken aback) "I pilot it to praise myself!"
WEAVING A STORY 2: oral stage
- Misato Katsuragi: "What in hell *is* an Eva?!"Ritsuko Akagi: "It's a thing created by Man in Man's own image. I really can't describe it any other way". Misato: ""Created by Man"?! You didn't create anything! You just copied something you found in the Antarctic! What was the original? That what I want to know!"Ritsuko: "This is not just a copy. A human will is inside it."Misato: "Are you saying somebody willed this to happen?!"Ritsuko: "Yes, the Eva did". (Misato slaps Ritsuko across the face)
- (Shinji's consciousness is hallucinating while dissolved inside of Eva Unit 01)Hallucination-Asuka: (naked and smiling at Shinji) "Hey Shinji, you idiot!...want-to-become-of-one-mind-and-of-one-body?"
- Gendo Ikari: "The Second Impact has occurred, must Shinji live through this hell?".Yui Ikari: "Anywhere can be heaven, as long as you try to live. And because he is alive, for as long as he lives he will have a chance to obtain happiness."
He was aware that he was still a child.
- Gendo Ikari: "Fuyutsuki, will you join us in creating a new Genesis for Mankind?"
- Ryoji Kaji: (an unknown person appears off-screen to Kaji) "Oh hi, you're a little late aren't you?" (screen goes black: gunshot is heard)
- (flashback to 2004, "contact experiment" between Yui Ikari and Eva Unit 01)Yui Ikari: "I'm the one who brought Shinji here"Fuyutsuki: "But Yui, this is your experiment today".Yui: "That's why I brought him: I want to show him how bright the future will be" (Yui Ikari's last words).
- Asuka: (from a "deleted scene") "I hate Misato, and I hate Shinji, and I hate that First Child bitch Rei! I hate my dad, I hate my mom! But mostly, most of all, I hate MYSELF!"
- Misato Katsuragi: "Maybe it's time the three of us...stopped living together..."Ritsuko Akagi: (snidely) "So you've hit your limit? Your nice synthetic family is falling apart?"Misato: "I don't have to take that from someone who tries to fill the holes in her own empty life with a bunch of cats!"
- (Asuka stands on a walkway in the Eva cage and looks into the face of Eva Unit 02, with her hands on her hips, as she talks to it directly)Asuka: "You're my doll, and you're supposed to do whatever I tell you to without arguing, do you understand? And why does a weapon need a mind anyway? It just causes more trouble. Anyway, you've got to obey all of my orders, do you hear?...this is stupid..."
- (Asuka is being mind-raped and sees images of Shinji from her memory)Asuka: "Why are you there damn you?! You don't do anything! You won't help me! You won't even hold me! You're no one! No one! NO ONE!"
- Asuka: "I can live life on my own!"Doll-Asuka: (the "doll-Asuka" her mother had talks) "But you're lying."Asuka: "NNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
- Rei Ayanami: (after "miraculously" surviving the self-destruction of Eva Unit 00) "I...think I'm the third one".
- (The Angel Armisael is merging with Unit 00 while Rei is synchronized with it, and telepathically makes contact with Rei's mind, appearing as an image of Rei)Rei: "Who is this? You? Myself and an EVA. No, I sense somebody other than myself. Who are you? An Angel? Are you one of the beings we call the Angels?"Armisael/Rei: "Don't you want to become one with me?"Rei: "No. I am me. Not you."Armisael: "Hmm, but you shall. It's too late. I will share part of my mind with you. Let me share with you these emotions. This is pain. Do you feel this pain?"Rei: "This pain? No, it's different. Loneliness. Yes. Loneliness."Armisael: "Loneliness? I don't understand."Rei: You don't want to be by yourself, correct? We are many but you are alone. You hate it don't you?"Armisael: "That is what it is to be lonely? That is what your mind is. It is what fills your soul. You are that sorrow."
- Dr. Ritsuko Akagi: "Mankind found a God, and Man, in his folly, tried to make the God his toy. For that arrogance Mankind was punished. That happened 15 years ago. And the God that Man found was lost. But Man continues to attempt to resurrect the God! And from that God, Adam, Man attempted to make a Man who was like a God himself, and that...was Eva."
The Beginning and the End, or "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
- Kaworu Nagisa: "Songs are good. Singing brings us joy. It is the highest point in the culture that Lilims have created."
- Kaworu Nagisa: You know pain is something man must endure in his heart, and since the heart feels pain so easily some believe life is pain. You are delicate like glass, especially your heart.
Shinji Ikari: I am?
Kaworu Nagisa: Yes and worth earning my empathy.
Shinji Ikari: Empathy?
Kaworu Nagisa: I'm saying I love you.
- Shinji: "You've got your own AT field?!"Kaworu: "Yes, or at least, that is what you Lilim call this thing. This is the light of my soul, a sacred territory in which no one may intrude. Aren't you Lilim even aware yet, that your so-called AT field is merely that wall that encloses every mind that exists?!"
- Kaworu: "Adam: that from which we came. Must one who was born from Adam return to Adam, even though it would destroy Man?...wait...this isn't...Lilith?! I see! I understand now! "Lilim"; Lilith!"
- Kaworu: "It is my destiny to live forever, though my survival will bring final destruction to the human race. However, it is possible for me to be killed, and whether I live or die makes no great difference. In truth, death may be the only absolute freedom there is." Shinji: "What are you? Kaworu, I don't understand what you are talking about, Kaworu." Kaworu: "This is my wish: please, destroy me. Otherwise, you will be destroyed. Only one life-form can be chose to evade the destruction and seize the future! And you are not the existence which should die. You need the future, it is what you live for!"
The End of Evangelion (1997)
- "The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth." —Chairman Keel
- "For who would lose, though full of pain, this intellectual being? Those thoughts that wander through eternity; to perish, rather, swallowed up and lost, in the wide womb of uncreated night." —John Milton; Paradise Lost - The End of Evangelion theatrical trailer (US)
- "Beyond jealosy and betrayal; beyond hate and desire; beyond pain and death; lies the ultimate revelation; the final choice; the end" —The End of Evangelion theatrical trailer (US)
- "Death creates nothing." —Gendo Ikari
- [after masturbating over Asuka's comatose body] "I'm scum." (Manga Entertainment Translation: "I'm so fucked up.") —Shinji Ikari
- "Idiot! You kill or you die!" —Shigeru Aoba
- "I don't want to die... I don't want to die..." (repeated) —Asuka Langley Sohryu
- (Misato tongue-kisses Shinji to try to motivate him out of his near-catatonic depression) "That was a grownup kiss. We'll do the rest when you get back. (Shoves Shinji into an elevator and collapses in a pool of blood) Kaji, my love... I did do the right thing... didn't I? If I'd known it'd end like this... I would have... changed the carpet like Asuka suggested...Right, Pen Pen?..." —Misato Katsuragi (last lines; an explosion blows Misato's body in half)
- Makoto Hyuga: Wasn't that a bit extreme!?
Kouzou Fuyutsuki: Playing a bit rough, now are we?
- (Manga Entertainment translation)
Makoto Hyuga: Damn! Haven't they ever heard of moderation!?
Kouzou Fuyutsuki: That was a little much.
- (Manga Entertainment translation)
- Misato Katsuragi: "Shinji listen to me. From now you’re on your own. You’ll have to make your own decisions; no one can do it for you."
Shinji Ikari: “I... I can’t. I’m no good. I can’t pilot Eva if all I do is hurt and kill people. I thought I had no choice but to pilot Eva, but I was just lying to myself. I’m not worthy of piloting an Eva because I don’t understand anything! I’m incapable of doing anything good for anybody else. I did something terrible to Asuka. I killed Kaoru. I’m a horrible person. I'm dishonest and a coward. All I ever do is hurt other people, so I’d rather do nothing at all!"
Misato Katsuragi: "I’m not going to feel sorry for you. If you don’t like feeling pain, then you can just sit here and let them kill you!"
(Shinji begins to cry.)
Misato Katsuragi: "Crying isn’t going to solve anything, either! [pauses] You hate yourself, don’t you? That’s why you hurt others. Deep down you know that you suffer more when you cause someone else pain, than if you just let yourself get hurt. But, Shinji, that was YOUR decision, so that makes it a valid choice. That was what you wanted, so that makes it worthwhile. Stop lying to yourself, and realize that you DO have options. Then accept the choices you’ve made."
Shinji Ikari: "But you're not me. You don’t know what I have to go through. You don’t understand!"
Misato Katsuragi: "So fucking what if I’m not you?! That doesn’t mean its okay for you to give up! If you do, I’ll NEVER forgive you as long as I live. God knows I’m not perfect either. I’ve made tons of stupid mistakes and later I regretted them. And I’ve done it over and over again, thousands of times. A cycle of hollow joy and vicious self-hatred. But even so, every time I learned something about myself. Please, Shinji. You’ve got to pilot Eva and settle this once and for all. For your own sake. Find out why you came here. Why you exist at all. Answer your own questions. And when you’ve found your answers, come back to me. I’ll be waiting for you. Promise me."
Shinji Ikari: "Yes."
Misato Katsuragi: "See you soon."
- Shinji Ikari: Nobody understands me.
Rei Ayanami: You never understood anything.
Shinji Ikari: I thought this was supposed to be a world without pain, and without uncertainty.
Rei Ayanami: That's because you thought that everyone else felt the same as you do.
Shinji Ikari: You betrayed me! You betrayed my feelings!
Rei Ayanami: You misunderstood from the very beginning. You just believed what you wanted to believe.
Shinji Ikari: Nobody wants me. So they can all just die.
Rei Ayanami: Then what is your hand for?
Shinji Ikari: Nobody cares whether or not I exist. Nothing ever changes. So they can all just die.
Rei Ayanami: Then tell me; what is your heart for?
Shinji Ikari: It would be better if I never existed... I should just die, too.
Rei Ayanami: Then why are you here?
(Flash-back image of Shinji as a child, abandoned and crying)
Shinji Ikari: I-is it okay for me to be here?
(White text on black: "Silence")
- "The beginning and the end are one and the same. Yes... all is right with the world." -Keel Lorentz (final words)
- "I didn't believe that anyone could love me. I never deserved to be loved." -Gendo Ikari
- "...And so, this is my retribution. Forgive me, Shinji..." - Gendo Ikari (last words)
- Kouzou Fuyutsuki: When Man created Evangelion, were we trying to create a clone of God?
Yui Ikari: Of course. Humans can only exist on this Earth. But the Evangelion will be able to exist forever, along with the human soul that dwells within it. When the Earth, the Moon and the Sun are all gone, EVA will exist, so long as one person remains. It'll be lonely, but as long as one person still lives...
Kouzou Fuyutsuki: ...it will be eternal proof that Mankind ever existed.
- "Anyone can return to human form, as long as they are able to imagine themselves within their own heart." —Yui Ikari
- "Kimochi warui." —Asuka Langley Sohryu
- Last line of the movie. Could be translated as "I don't feel well," "I feel sick," "This sucks," "What a disgusting feeling," "I feel bad," etc. This line could have several different implications depending on context, so the proper translation is debated; no interpretation has been offered by Gainax. Even the identity of the speaker is often disputed, with many fans claiming she is an amalgam of Asuka, Rei and Misato, rather than simply Asuka. One of the last lines that were originally suggested was — in Japanese — "No way I'll let you kill me!", but Anno wanted to find a better one. "Kimochi warui" was eventually chosen by Asuka's Seiyuu — Yuko Miyamura. (The official English version renders the line as, "How disgusting.")
- "I don't know why everyone loves this show so much, the character are so sick!" - Hideaki Anno
- "You're an idiot. Study harder." –Hideaki Anno, to a man who had spent all his textbook money on Evangelion merchandise
- "This show really is interesting, isn't it? I never realized how interesting it was." –Hideaki Anno, in a 2007 Newtype article
- "Oh this is… this is nice, this is the end, okay. Where exactly am I? Oh grea… here's the song, oh good. Um, there's some things that are still unresolved here, guys! How do I get home? What do I eat? Was Rei my-my mom? Or a clone? Or, hell, was this all in my mind? Wha-what's an EVA? Is that sort of a Freudian thing? Er… um Am I real? Oh, hell, does a bus run through here? I mean, I'd like to go home now but um… Oh God… Where's home? Okay, okay, okay. I mustn't run away, I mustn't run… Okay I got that, good, okay. Now, if I were to run away, let's analyze that: Where the fuck would I go? I'm on a big blue ball! Uhh, is this how you end the series? I mean, is this where we go from here? Okay, the movie better sure as Hell make up for this, I'm telling you right now, 'cause I'm stuck in Nowhereland! You ran outta ink too, didn't you, ya bastards?" –Spike Spencer as Shinji Ikari, in a parody commentary track on the final Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD