Planet of the Apes (1968 film)
A person is never happy till their vague strivings has itself marked out its proper limitations.Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- Imagine me needing someone. Back on Earth I never did. Oh, there were women. Lots of women. Lots of love-making but no love. You see, that was the kind of world we'd made. So I left, because there was no one to hold me there.
- It's a mad house! A mad house!
- I'm a seeker too. But my dreams aren't like yours. I can't help thinking that somewhere in the universe there has to be something better than man. Has to be.
- What evidence? There were no weapons in that cave.
- [after seeing that Landon has been lobotomized] You! You cut up his brain, you bloody baboon!
- A planet where apes evolved from men?
- Take your hands off me, you damned dirty ape!
- Note: ranked #66 in the American Film Institute's list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema.
- Doctor, would an ape make a human doll, that talks?
- [to Lucius] In my world, when I left it, only kids your age wore beards.
- [riding down the beach in the last scene] Oh my God... I'm back. I'm home. All the time it was... we finally really did it. [screaming] YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL! (camera pans to reveal the half-destroyed Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand)
- Dr. Zira, I must caution you. Experimental brain surgery on these creatures is one thing, and I'm all in favor of it. But your behavior studies are another matter. To suggest that we can learn anything about the simian nature from a study of man is sheer nonsense. Why, man is a nuisance. He eats up his food supply in the forest, then migrates to our green belts and ravages our crops. The sooner he is exterminated, the better. It's a question of simian survival.
- Ah, yes - the young ape with a shovel. I hear you're planning another archeological expedition. Cornelius, a friendly word of warning: as you dig for artifacts, be sure you don't bury your reputation.
- [to humans] You are a menace. A walking pestilence.
- [to humans] Have you forgotten your scripture, the thirteenth scroll? "And Proteus brought the upright beast into the garden and chained him to a tree and the children did make sport of him."
- [to George] You are right, I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand and hand with his idiocy. His emotions must rule his brain. He must be a warlike creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself.
- [to George] The Forbidden Zone was once a paradise. Your breed made a desert of it, ages ago.
- Julius: You know the saying, "Human see, human do."
- Ape Guard: Shut up, you freak.
- Cornelius: [reading from the sacred scrolls of the apes] 'Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.'
- George: Doctor, I'd like to kiss you goodbye.
- Dr. Zira: All right, but you're so damned ugly.
- George: There's your Minister of Science; honor bound to expand the frontiers of knowledge.
- Dr. Zira: Taylor please!
- George: Except that he's also Chief Defender of the Faith!
- Dr. Zaius: There is no contradiction between faith and science... true science.
- George: Are you willing to put that statement to the test?
- Cornelius: Taylor I would much rather—
- George: Take it easy, you saved me from this fanatic, maybe I can return the favor!
- Dr. Zaius: Tell me, why are all apes created equal?
- George: Some apes, it seems, are more equal than others.
- Dr. Zaius: I see you've brought the female of your species. I didn't realize that man could be monogamous.
- George: On this planet, it's easy.
- Cornelius: Well Taylor, we're all fugitives now.
- George: Do you have any weapons, any guns?
- Cornelius: The best, but we won't need them.
- George: I'm glad to hear it. I want one anyway.
- George: [brandishing rifle] Don't try to follow me. I'm pretty handy with this.
- Dr. Zaius: Of that I'm sure. All my life I've awaited your coming and dreaded it.
- Dr. Zira: What will he find out there, doctor?
- Dr. Zaius: His destiny.
- [George ties up Dr. Zaius]
- Dr. Zira: Taylor! Don't treat him that way!
- George: Why not?
- Dr. Zira: It's humiliating!
- George: The way you humiliated me? All of you? You led me around on a leash!
- Cornelius: That was different. We thought you were inferior.
- George: Now you know better.
- Leader of the Hunt: I don't understand these animal psychologists. What is Dr. Zira trying to prove?
- Dr. Zaius: That man can be domesticated.
- George: A planet where apes evolved from men? There's got to be an answer.
- Dr. Zaius: Don't look for it, Taylor. You may not like what you'll find.
- Somewhere in the Universe, there must be something better than man!
- 20th Century Fox Wants You To... Go Ape [1974 re-release]
- This is Commander Taylor, Astronaut. He has landed in a world where Apes are the rulers and Man the beast. Now he is caged, tortured, risks mutilation. Because no human can remain human on, The Planet of the Apes.
- Hunted... haunted... wanted... like beasts of prey!
- Charlton Heston — George Taylor
- Maurice Evans — Dr. Zaius
- Kim Hunter — Dr. Zira
- Roddy McDowall — Cornelius
- Buck Kartalian — Julius
- Norman Burton — Leader of the Hunt