Raising Arizona is a 1987 film written, produced, and directed by the Coen Brothers. The film has developed a small cult following and is a favorite among fans of the Coen brother's films mainly because it speaks to the human condition, the semi-uncontrollable desire to have children and the hilarity that ensues.
- Prison life is more structured than most men care for...
- I tried to stand up and fly straight, but it wasn't easy with that sumbitch Reagan in the White House. I dunno. They say he's a decent man, so maybe his advisors are confused.
- And the doc went on to explain that this woman, who looked as fertile as the Tennessee Valley, could bear no young. Her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase.
- There's what's right, and there's what's right, and never the twain shall meet.
- Nathan needs some Huggies, I'll be out directly. Mind you stay strapped in.
- Now, Y'all who're without sin can cast the first stone
Edwina 'Ed' McDunnough
- My fie-ance left me!
- Now mind his li'l fontanelle!
- Turn to the right!
- (to Smalls) GIVE ME THAT BABY YOU WARTHOG FROM HELL!
- We released ourselves on our own recognizance.
- H.I., you're young and you got your health, what you want with a job?
Nathan Arizona Sr.
- Well, this is nothing but a goddamn shakedown and a screwjob, any way you look at it!
- And if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass a-hoppin'.
- I don't know what his damn jammies looked like... they had Yodas and shit on them.
- I said, "Healthy white baby? Five years? What else you got?" Said they got two Koreans and a negra born with his heart on the outside. It's a crazy world.
- Say, did you hear about the person of the Polish persuasion who walked into a bar with a big 'ol pile of shit in his hands and he says, "Look what I almost stepped in"?
- Lone Biker: You want to find an outlaw, hire an outlaw. You want to find a Dunkin' Donuts, call a cop.
- Teller: Now, what's it gonna be young feller? You want I should freeze or get down on the ground? 'Cause if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'm gonna be in motion.
- Old man in pickup truck: Son, you got a panty on your head.
- Dot: Reilly, You take that diaper off your head and put it back on your sister.
- Dot: That there's for his orthodonture and his college. You soak his thumb in iodine and you might get by without the orthodonture, but it won't knock a thing off the college.
- FBI Investigator: Is it true your name was originally 'Nathan Huffines'?
- Nathan: Yeah, what of it?
- FBI Investigator: Why did you change it?
- Nathan: Would you buy furniture from a place called 'Unpainted Huffines'?
- Doctor: Why do you say you feel "trapped" in a man's body.
- Convict: Well, sometimes I get them menstrual cramps real hard.
- H.I. McDunnough: (to the cashier) I'll be taking these Huggies and whatever cash ya got.
- Edwina 'Ed' McDunnough: That sum'bitch. That son of a bitch! (runs out of the car and yells outside the store window) You son of a bitch!
- H.I. McDunnough: And make it quick, I'm in dutch with the wife.
- Moses: An' when they was no meat we ate fowl. An'when they was no fowl we ate crawdad. An' when they was no crawdad to be foun', we ate San'.
- HI: You ate what?
- MOSES: (nodding): We ate San'.
- HI: You ate sand?!
- MOSES: Dass right . . .