Santa Claus: The Movie
Santa Claus: The Movie is a 1985 film starring Dudley Moore and John Lithgow. The film chronicles the origins of Santa Claus, who, along with his wife, goes from a simple working man to becoming an international icon of Christmas. At the same time, the film also tells a contemporary story in which one of Santa's elves, a visionary named Patch, sets out to employ Santa's toymaking methods on his own, unaware that he might ruining the magic of Christmas in the process.
- Ancient Elf: The Prophecy has come to pass, that there would come to us a Chosen One, and that he, having no child of his own, would love all children everywhere, and that he himself would be an artisan, and a craftsman, and a skilled maker of toys. [to Santa] And now, Chosen One, come forward. From this day on, now and forever, you will bring all our gifts to all the children in all the world, and all this to be done on Christmas Eve.
- Santa Claus: How can I do so much in just one night?
- Ancient Elf: Well, know this: time travels with you. The night of the world is a passage of endless night for you, until your mission is done. This is your legacy, and your gift.... as is the gift of flight. Now, all those within the sound of my voice, and all those on this Earth everywhere know that henceforth, you will be called --- Santa Claus. And now, everyone, Merry Christmas.
- Santa Claus: Don't you know who I am?
- Joe: Sure, you're a nut.
- Santa Claus: I'm Santa Claus.
- Joe: Right, and I'm the tooth fairy.
- Patch: Don't you believe in Santa Claus?
- B.Z.: Why should I? He never brought me anything.
- Patch: That's because you were probably a naughty boy.
- B.Z.: Yes. I guess I was... no angel.
- [Towzer comments to B.Z. about the proposed puce lollipop]
- Towzer: If this catches on, we can come out with a liquid version: puce juice.
- Cornelia: Merry Christmas, Uncle.
- B.Z.: It certainly should be.
- [B.Z. makes an evil laugh]
- B.Z.: When you've got a hit like we have, Patch, the people don't wanna wait a whole year, they're dying for a sequel! A sequel. That's it. We'll bring it out on March 25, and we'll call it... Christmas II!
- Patch: Christmas II?
- Cornelia: You're burning up.
- Joe: I'll be alright.
- Cornelia: You stay out there and you'll be dead is what you'll be.
- [Towzer has revealed the dangers of the puce lollipop]
- Towzer: B.Z., this stuff can kill people!
- B.Z.: Are you going soft on me?
- BZ: Towzer, how does Brazil sound to you?
- Towzer: Brazil?
- BZ: Brazil. Sandy beaches, tropical breezes, big rum drinks with pinapple in them, senoritas in string bikinis and... oh yes. No exctredition treaty.
- [BZ is in court over his dangerous toys which include a flamable doll]
- Senator: Well what do you have to say to that sir?
- BZ: Well senator I've always known that cigarette smoking could be hazardous to your health. [Laughs]
- Senator: This is not a laughing matter sir, this is a tragedy waiting to happen. You sir are a disgrace to your proffesion.
- BZ: Senator...
- Senator: And i belive THIS toy has been advertised as being suitable for THREE year olds.
- [Man picks up teddy bear and rips the head off and tips out a contents of sand, nails and broken glass]
- BZ: Senator, I'm even more astonished that you are to see this and I assure you that if these are not isolated examples, I'll make sure they never happen again.
- Senator: Well you'd better do more than that sir. You'd better withdraw every BZ Toy on the market or I'll personally see to it that your lisence to manufacture and distribute in the United States is REVOKED!
- Guess who's coming to town?
- The legend comes to life!
- Seeing is believing!
- Santa Claus. The spirit of Christmas. But who is he really?
- From the team who brought the three Superman blockbusters to the screen comes a story to stir the imagination - and warm the heart.
|David Huddleston||Santa Claus|
|Judy Cornwell||Anya Claus|
|Burgess Meredith||Ancient Elf|
|Carrie Kai Heim||Cornelia|