The Mist (film)
There is only one happiness in life—to love and to be loved.George Sand
- Written and directed by Frank Darabont.
- Having spoken, the doomsayer departs.
- You don't understand, or you're trying really hard not to... are you guys being willfully dense?
- What we saw was impossible. You know that, don't you? What do we say? How do we convince them [to stay inside]? Ollie, what the hell were those tentacles even attached to?
- Want another reason to get the hell out of here? I'll give you the best one. Her. Miss Carmody. Our very own Jim Jones. I'd like to leave before people start drinking the Kool-Aid.
- By tomorrow night, when those things come back, she'll have a congregation. And then we can worry about who she's gonna sacrifice to make it all better.
- [after slapping Mrs. Carmody] I'm sorry everybody, but this lady's perspective is a little too Old Testament for my tastes.
- [witnessing the growth of Carmody's cult following] It hasn't even been two days... not even two days...
- I'd rather die out there trying than in here waiting.
- Don't go out there. It's death out there. It's the end of days.
- [to Amanda] The day I need a friend like you, I'll just have myself a little squat and shit one out.
- There's no defense against the will of God. There's no court of appeals in hell. The end times have come; not in flames, but in mist...
- You'll die out there, all of you.
- [Seeing otherworldly insects gather on the store windows] "And they came out of the smoke, locusts upon the earth; and unto them was given the power, even as the scorpions of the earth..." wow... look at those stingers!
- My life for you...
- Feed him to the beasts!
- The beast will leave us alone tonight. Tomorrow... tomorrow we'll just have to wait and see...
- Something in the mist took John Lee and I heard him screaming!
- You scare people badly enough, you'll get them to do anything. They'll turn to whoever promises a solution. Or whatever.
- Well, we gave it a good shot. Nobody can say we didn't.
- They've lost their sense of proportion. Out there, everyone is scared and confused; in here, there's a problem they can solve and they're god damned gonna solve it.
- The entire front of this store is plate glass.
- You can't convince some people there's a fire when their hair is burning. Denial is a powerful thing.
- As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you think we invented politics and religion?
- Welcome to Sesame Street. Today's word is 'expiation.'
- Billy Drayton: You have to give me your very best promise... promise you won't let the monsters get me... ever, no matter what...
- Brent Norton: We are experiencing some sort of disaster. I don't know if it's man-made or natural, but it's definitely not supernatural.
- Bud Brown: It appears we may have a problem of some magnitude here...
- Golf Cap: [parting shot to Mrs. Carmody] Hey crazy lady, I believe in God too. I just don't think he's the bloodthirsty asshole you make him out to be.
- Irene: [after silencing Mrs. Carmody with a thrown can] Stoning people who piss you off is perfectly OK. They do it in the Bible, don't they? And I've got lots of beans.
- Jim Grondin: [after Norm is killed by tentacles from the mist] Hey, I'm sorry. How the hell was I supposed to know what you meant? You said you heard something. How the hell was I supposed to know? You should have said what you meant better! I don't know, I thought maybe it was a big bird or something!
- MP: It's our fault... it's all our fault...
- Jim: I'm sorry about the kid. We didn't twist his arm or anything!
- David Drayton: Yeah, he was a fucking kid. He's supposed to be stupid. What's your excuse?
- [As David addresses the crowd, a skeptical Bud Brown chastises Ollie for drinking after witnessing Norm's death]
- Bud Brown: For Christ's sake, Ollie. You want me to report you? You want to lose your job? I'm going to be taking down names, starting with you. And I am prepared to file a police report.
- Ollie Weeks: Fine, Bud. Write down your names.
- Bud Brown: I will.
- Ollie Weeks: And in the meantime, shut the fuck up and listen.
- Ollie: Those of you who aren't local should know that Mrs. Carmody is known in town for being... unstable.
- Golf Cap: No shit. What was your first clue?
- David Drayton: [referring to a clothesline] Tie this around your waist.
- Brent Norton: What for?
- David Drayton: It'll let us know you got at least three hundred feet.
- David Drayton: You're sure there's no way I can talk you out of this?
- Brent Norton: David, there's nothing out there. Nothing in the mist.
- David Drayton: And if you're wrong?
- Brent Norton: Then, I guess... the joke will be on me, after all.
- David Drayton: We have to get out of here. I mean permanently.
- Mike Hatlen: Why? We've got plenty to eat!
- David Drayton: But what happens when one of those things decides to break through this window? I'm talkin' one of the big ones, like the one that killed Norm.
- Dan Miller: Yeah, the flaming torch idea didn't work out so well. Almost burned the goddamn store down.
- Amanda Dumfries: Who knows how far this mist has spread? It could be the entire eastern seaboard.
- David Drayton: It could be the whole world for all we know. It wouldn't make us any less dead.
- Amanda Dumfries: You don't have much faith in humanity, do you?
- Dan Miller: None whatsoever.
- Amanda Dumfries: I can’t accept that. People are basically good. Decent. My God, David, we’re a civilized society!
- David Drayton: Sure, as long as the machines are working and you can dial 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, you scare the shit out of them, no more rules. You'll see how primitive they can get.
- David Drayton: Listen up! We're going to the pharmacy. We're gonna bring back some supplies. Also, there may be people trapped over there who need help.
- [Crowd begins to grow anxious]
- Ollie Weeks: Folks! Listen! We're not going to take any chances. If there's any trouble, we'll come straight back here to the supermarket.
- Mrs. Carmody: And bring the fiends of hell down on our heads, thank you!
- Carmody follower: She's right! You'll make them notice us. You'll make them come! Why can't you just leave well enough alone?
- Dan Miller: Lady, is this what you call "well enough?"
- David Drayton: What do you know about this mist?
- Private Jessup: I don't know nothing. I've got nothing to do with it.
- David Drayton: That's not what the MP said in the pharmacy before the spiders came out of his skin.
- Private Jessup: I heard stuff. Like they thought that there were other dimensions. Other worlds, all around us. They wanted to try and make a window so they could look through and see what's on the other side.
- Mrs. Carmody: Well maybe your window turned out to be a door!
- Ollie Weeks: I... killed her....
- David Drayton: Thank you, Ollie.
- Ollie Weeks: I shot her, David. I wouldn't have done that if there had been any other way.
- David Drayton: Like I said, thank you, Ollie