The Usual Suspects
The Usual Suspects is a 1995 film about a boat has been destroyed, criminals are dead, and the key to this mystery lies with the only survivor and his twisted, convoluted story beginning with five career crooks in a seemingly random police lineup.
- Directed by Bryan Singer. Written by Christopher McQuarrie.
- What the cops never figured out, and what I know now, was that these men would never break, never lie down, never bend over for anybody. Anybody.
- Back when I was picking beans in Guatemala, we used to make fresh coffee, right off the trees I mean. That was good. This is shit but, hey, I'm in a police station.
- Oh gee, thanks Dave, bang-up job so far. Extortion, coercion; you'll pardon me if I ask you to kiss my pecker.
- To a cop the explanation's always simple. There's no mystery to the street, no arch criminal behind it all. If you find a body and you think his brother did it, you're gonna find out you're right.
- Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.
- Big fat guy, I mean like orca fat.
- Who is Keyser Söze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
- You think you can catch Keyser Soze? You think a guy like that comes this close to getting caught, and sticks his head out? If he comes up for anything it'll be to get rid of me. After that... my guess is you'll never hear from him again.
- It was Keyser Soze, Agent Kujan. I mean the Devil himself. How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you miss?
- And then he showed these men of will what will really was.
- He kills their kids. He kills their wives. He kills their parents and their parents' friends.
He burns down the houses they live in and the stores they work in.
He kills people that owe them money.
- It didn't make sense that I'd be there. I mean, these guys were hard-core hijackers, but there I was. I wasn't scared, I knew I hadn't done anything they could do me for. Besides, it was fun. I got to make like I was notorious.
- I used to dehydrate as a kid. One time it got so bad my piss came out like snot. I'm not kidding, it was thick and gooey.
- And like that [blows on hand, opening his fingers].......He's gone [cut to black]
- Kobayashi: I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
- Keaton[after finding Fenster's body]: It's not payback! It's precaution. You want payback, you wanna run, I don't care! I'm not doing this for Fenster, I'm not doing it for you... I'm doing it for me. I'm gonna finish this thing. This Kobayashi bastard is not gonna stand on me!
- Fenster: The way I hear it, Soze is some kind of butcher. A pitiless, psycho, fucked-up butcher.
- Hockney[as many cops surround him before they arrest him]: You bring enough guys?
- Keaton: I'm a businessman now.
- Cop: Yeah? What's that, the restaurant business? No. From now on you're in the getting fucked by us business.
- [suspects in a lineup are asked to read a phrase]
- Cop: Number 1, step forward.
- Hockney: Hand me the keys, you fucking cocksucker.
- Cop: Number 2, step forward.
- McManus: Give me the fucking keys, you fucking cocksucking motherfucker. Aaarrrghh.
- Cop: Knock it off. Get back. Number 3, step forward.
- Fenster: [laughing] Hand me the keys, you cocksucker.
- Cop: In English, please?
- Fenster: Excuse me?
- Cop: In English.
- Fenster: Hand me the fucking keys, you cocksucker, what the fuck?
- Cop: I can put you in Queens on the night of the hijacking.
- Hockney: Really? I live in Queens. Did you put that together yourself, Einstein? Got a team of monkeys working around the clock on this?
- Keaton: His name is Verbal. Verbal Kint.
- McManus: Verbal?
- Keaton: Yeah.
- Verbal: Roger, really. People say I talk too much.
- Hockney: Yeah, I was just about to tell you to shut up.
- Kujan: You had a gun, then why didn't you help him? He was your friend!
- Verbal: Because I was afraid, okay? I was afraid.
- Kujan: Afraid of what?
- Verbal: It was Keyser Söze, Agent Kujan, The Devil himself. How do you shoot the devil in the back? [pause] What if you miss?
- Stephen Baldwin - Michael McManus
- Gabriel Byrne - Dean Keaton
- Benicio Del Toro - Fred Fenster
- Kevin Pollak - Todd Hockney
- Kevin Spacey - Roger 'Verbal' Kint
- Chazz Palminteri - Dave Kujan, US Customs
- Pete Postlethwaite - Kobayashi
- Suzy Amis - Edie Finneran