Thomas Chandler Haliburton (December 17, 1796 – August 27, 1865) was one of the first major Canadian authors. He was also a judge and, for a short period of years, a member of the Canadian Parliament.
- I want you to see Peel, Stanley, Graham, Sheil, Russell, Macaulay, Old Joe, and soon. They are all upper-crust here.
- Sam Slick in England. 2 Chap. xxiv. “Sam Slick” first appeared in a weekly paper of Nova Scotia, 1835. Compare: "Those families, you know, are our upper-crust,—not upper ten thousand", Cooper: The Ways of the Hour, chap. vi. (1850); "At present there is no distinction among the upper ten thousand of the city" N. P. Willis, Necessity for a Promenade Drive.
- Circumstances alter cases.
- The old Judge. Chap. xv.
- We reckon hours and minutes to be dollars and cents.
- The Clockmaker. Compare: "Remember that time is money", Benjamin Franklin, Advice to a Young Tradesman, 1748.
- We can do without any article of luxury we have never had; but when once obtained, it is not in human natur’ to surrender it voluntarily.
- The Clockmaker.