20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (film)
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is a 1954 film starring Kirk Douglas as Ned Land, James Mason as Captain Nemo, Paul Lukas as Professor Aronnax and Peter Lorre as Conseil. The film is very well-known. The film is based on the book of the same name by Jules Verne.
- Professor Arronax: You can not do this, this is not civilized!
- Captain Nemo: I am not what you call a civilized man, Professor. I have done away with society for reasons that seem good to me. Therefore I do not obey its laws.
- Captain Nemo: You were sent to find food, not treasure! You can't eat pieces of eight!
- Ned Land: Eat? I can eat any time——
- Captain Nemo: You place an absurd value on the cheapest of human commodities. Aboard the Nautilus we use such baubles for ballast.
(Nemo strolls over and opens a hatch to reveal a walk-in locker full of gold treasure. Ned stares.)
- Ned Land: Ballast... (walks over and pulls a gilted item from the pile, smiling) ...I sure could lighten this ship!
- Captain Nemo: (snatching the piece and depositing it back in the closet) The greatest treasures of all, Mister Land, are a sound mind and a full belly. I hope you remember that before stooping to pick up pennies.
- Ned Land: You've been pickin' them up. And pickin' them up good! '...Ballast'!
- Captain Nemo: I asked you to leave, Professor.
- Professor Arronax: You also asked me ashore, to show me man's inhumanity to man. Why? To justify this? You are not only a murderer, you are a hypocrite. The proof lies out there.
- Captain Nemo: You call that murder? Well, I see murder, too. Not on those drowned faces out there, but on the faces of dead thousands! They are the assassins, the dealers in death. I am the avenger! Is murder a right reserved for that hated nation? They've already taken everything else from me. Everything but my secrets. The secret of my submarine boat and the energy that propels it, they tried! They cast me to prison and when they failed, when they failed, they tortured my wife and young son to death.