A Bug's Life
A Bug's Life is a computer animated film, released by Pixar to theatres in 1998. It concerns an oddball ant named Flik, who recruits circus bugs to defend his colony from grasshoppers. The story is an interpretation of the classic Kurosawa film, The Seven Samurai.
- You're wrong...Hopper. Ants are not meant to serve grasshoppers. I've seen these ants do great things, and year after year, they somehow manage to pick enough food for themselves and you! So-so who's the weaker species?! Ants don't serve grasshoppers! It's you who need us! We're a lot stronger than you say we are. And you know it, don't you?
- I know it's a rock!!!!! Don't you think I know a rock when I see a rock?! I've spent a lot of time around rocks!
- [from outtakes; gets ready to fly] TO INFINITY, AND BEYOND! I'm sorry, I couldn't resist! [reference to Buzz Lightyear's line in Toy Story]
- First rule of leadership: everything is your fault.
- It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, Princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things.
- I swear, if I hadn't promised Mother on her deathbed that I wouldn't kill you, I would kill you!!
- You let one ant stand up to us, and they all might stand up! Those "puny little ants" outnumber us a hundred to one. And if they ever figure that out... THERE GOES OUR WAY OF LIFE! It's not about food. It's about keeping those ants in line. THAT'S WHY WE'RE GOING BACK! Does anyone else wanna stay?!
- You piece of dirt. No, I'm wrong. You're lower than dirt. You're an ant!
- Let this be a lesson to all you ants: ideas are very dangerous things. You are mindless, soil-shoving losers put on this earth to serve us!
- WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS?!?
- That's our lot in life. It's not a lot, but it's our life! Ah-ha-ha-ha!
- Why didn't I think of that? Oh, because it's suicide!
- [after her pet aphid, Aphie has urinated in her lap] Uh-oh! Towel! I need a towel over here!
- So, bein' a ladybug automatically makes me a girl! Is that it, fly boy?! Huh?!
- Judging by your breath, you must have been buzzing around a dung heap all day!
- [Slim calls him a lady] I heard that, you twig!
- Shoo, fly, don't bother me.
- What's the point of going out there? They'll only laugh at me...
- No...it's because I'm a PROP! You always cast me as the broom, the pole, the stick! A splinter!
- I'm the only stick with eyeballs!
- Tra-la-la-la. Spring's in the air, and I'm a flower...with nothing intresting to say!
- Francis, leave them alone. They are poo-poo heads!
- Someday, I will be a beautiful butterfly, and then everything will be better.
- I think I'm going to wet myself.
- But I am flying! And from way up here, you all look like little ants!
- I hate performing on an empty stomach!
- It was all a part of the plan!
- I'm finished! Finally I'm a beautiful butterfly.
- Slow down, you flowers!
- Oooh, candy corn! Here, let me help you to finish it!
- A fly in the bar Flik visits: "Waiter, I'm in my soup!"
- Mosquito in same bar: "Hey, bartender! Bloody Mary, O-positive."
- Waitress: "Hey, who ordered the poo-poo platter?!" [a bunch of flies land on the platter]
Outtakes (actually, original outtakes)
Speed! -Marker. -And--action! Are you saying I'm stupid? -No. -Do I look stupid to you? I'm sorry. Are you saying I'm stupid? Oh! I'm sorry. I got it. No, no, no. Just do it again. I'm fine. -Are you saying I'm stupid? -Yes! This is the fifteenth take. I cannot work like this. -I will be in my trailer. -I need a break. -Marker. -Whoa, Flik, honey. We are not about to-- Is someone hammering? Can we hold the work, please? People! Am--Am I in this shot? You can--You can see me, right? And--action. To infinity and beyond! I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. Really, can y-- can you blame me? -Okay. Okay, let's go for real now. -Okay, cut! -Sorry. Why go back to Ant lsland at all? -I mean, you don't even like grain. -What? You're right. I didn't think it was such a good idea myself. -Actually, it wasn't even my idea. -Watch it! I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Is the camera broke? Oh, oh, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Did I ruin the take? And, uh, thank you for findin' 'em, Flik. -Me? Oh, uh, uh-- -Ow, ow, ow! -Oh, no. -This really hurts. Can we cut? -Oh, I'm sorry. -Ow! So, is there a Mrs. Ant... You have to tunnel home, too? Ooh, I'm sorry. I thought he was real. Oh, dear. Put that thing in my car. -Marker. -Flik, after much deliberation-- Whoa! Ohh, I g-- Oh, my eye! Oh, no, seriously, I got berry juice in my eye! It stings! Stop acting! I'm serious! Oh, stop the camera! Uh-oh. Towel! I need a towel over here! Cut! I'm sorry. I'm sorry. C-Can we cut? It's just that I-I don't think I'm comin' across. Hmm. Oh, I know, I know. I could lather up a bunch of spit. Ooh, ooh. That's good. I got it, J.L. All right. One more for me. -Speed. -Marker. -Action! -Spinning a web of safety... In less than 50--oof!
- Flik - Dave Foley (Voice)
- Hopper - Kevin Spacey (Voice)
- Atta - Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Voice)
- Dot - Hayden Panetierre (Voice)
- Queen - Phyllis Diller (Voice)
- Molt - Richard Kind (Voice)
- Heimlich - Joe Ranft (Voice)
- Francis - Denis Leary (Voice)
- Slim - David Hyde Pierce (Voice)
- Manny - Jonathan Harris (Voice)
- Gypsy - Madeline Kahn (Voice)
- Rosie - Bonnie Hunt (Voice)
- Dim - Brad Garrett (Voice)
- Tuck & Roll - Michael McShane (Voice)
- P.T. Flea - John Ratzenberger (Voice)
- Mr. Soil - Roddy McDowall (Voice)
- Dr. Flora - Edie McClurg (Voice)
- Thorny - Alex Rocco
- Cornelius - David Ossman (Voice)