A Lot Like Love
A Lot Like Love is a 2005 drama/romantic comedy film, directed by Nigel Cole. Oliver (played by Ashton Kutcher) and Emily (Amanda Peet) first meet on a flight from Los Angeles to New York, then decide that they are poorly suited together. Over the next seven years they keep meeting each other, becoming acquaintances and then close friends, going through different partners and careers at the same time.
- Emily: First of all, why would I get myself mixed up with a guy who I know first hand would jump into an airplane bathroom with the first girl that comes on knocking?
- Emily: When you look at me, do you see your mom?
- Emily: [After kissing] Don't say anything, you'll ruin it.
- Oliver: Emily, I'm flat broke. I don't have a job. I don't have a plan. I know I'm probably six years too late, but will you give me strike one back?
- Emily: Honestly, if you're not willing to sound stupid you don't deserve to be in love.
- Oliver: Emily, I'm flat broke. I don't have a job. I don't have a plan. And I know, I know I'm probably six years too late, but will you give me strike one back?
- Graham: [pointing to his son] You should get one.
- Oliver: That was the plan. Instead I'm almost 30, unemployed, and living with mom and dad.
- Graham: Oliver. This is your life. Right now. It doesn't wait for you to get back on your feet.
- Graham: Oliver, this is your life. You can't wait for it to just to get you up on your feet.
- Oliver: [annoyed] Gabe the babe.
- Oliver: The thing is, how can I be there for her if I don't even have my thing figured out? You know?
- Emily: God, Oliver! You are such a dick! C'mon, let's just start without him!
- Oliver: Well, if it wasn't love, it was a lot like it.
- Oliver: My brother's deaf, Em. I can go days without talking.
- Emily: Don't... you'll ruin it.
- Emily: This is your trip, it's happening right now
[Takes Oliver's camera and takes a picture of her crotch]
- Oliver: [sarcastically] Oh Great! All the places I have traveled!
- Oliver: What's your stance on pancakes?
- Emily: I am pro-pancakes.