A Nightmare on Elm Street (film)
There is no original truth, only original error.Gaston Bachelard
- Written and directed by Wes Craven.
- [about Tina] She dreamed this would happen. She had a nightmare about somebody trying to kill her last night. That's why we were there, Mom. She was afraid to sleep alone.
- [to Glen] I asked you to do just one thing. Just stay awake and watch me. Just wake me if it looked like I was having a bad dream. And what did you do, you shit? (hits Glen's knee) You fell asleep.
- I'm into survival.
- [to Hallguard] Screw your pass!
- [to Glen] Whatever you do, don't fall asleep.
- [to Marge] His name is even in it, written right in here! Fred Krueger. Fred Krueger! You know who that is, Mom? You better tell me, cause now he's after me!
- [preparing to sleep] Okay, Krueger, you bastard. We play in your court.
- [to Freddy] Come out and show yourself, you bastard.
- [to Freddy] Hey, can't catch me!
- I'm gonna kill you slow.
- I'm gonna split you in two.
- I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy.
- Come to Freddy.
- Gonna get you.
- I'm here.
- And now you die...
- Tina, watch this. (cuts off one of his own fingers and green liquid squirts out)
- Children: One, two, Freddy's coming for you.
Three, four, better lock your door.
Five, six, grab your crucifix.
Seven, eight, gonna stay up late.
Nine, ten, never sleep again.
- Glen: Oh man. Midnight. Baseball bats and bogeymen. Beautiful.
- Hallguard: Hey, no running in the halls! (raises hand to reveal long metal spikes)
- Rod: Had a hardon this morning when I woke up, Tina. Had your name written all over it.
- Tina: There's four letters in my name, Rod. How could there be room on your joint for four letters?
- Rod: Hey, up yours with a twirling lawn mower!
- [Rod walks away]
- Tina: Nyahh. Rod says the sweetest things.
- Nancy: He's nuts about you.
- Tina: Yeah, nuts.
- Tina: All day long I've been seeing that guy's weird face, and hearing those fingernails...
- Nancy: Fingernails? That's amazing, you saying that. It made me remember the dream I had last night.
- Tina: What'd you dream?
- Nancy: I dreamed about this guy in a dirty red and green sweater.
- Tina: But what about the fingernails?
- Nancy: He scraped his fingernails along things. Actually, they were more like finger-knives or something, like he'd made them himself. Anyway, they made this horrible sound (imitates screeching sound)
- Tina: Nancy. You dreamed about the same creep I did, Nancy.
- Glen: That's impossible.
- Tina: [after sex] I knew there was something about you I liked.
- Rod: You feel better now, right?
- Tina: Jungle man fix Jane.
- Rod: No more fights?
- Tina: No more fights.
- Rod: Good. No more nightmares for either of us then.
- Tina: When did you have a nightmare?
- Rod: Guys can have nightmares too, y'know. You ain't got a corner on the market or something.
- Tina: Please God...
- Freddy: [revealing his knives] This... is God.
- Nancy: [about Freddy] What'd he look like? You get a look at him?
- Rod: No.
- Nancy: Well then how can you say somebody else was there?
- Rod: Because somebody cut her. While I watched.
- Nancy: Somebody cut her while you watched and you don't know what he looked like?
- Rod: I couldn't see the fucker. You could just see the cuts happening, all at once. I probably could've saved her if I'd moved sooner. But I thought it was just another nightmare, like the one I had the night before. There was this guy who had knives for fingers.
- Glen: What did you do to your arm?
- Nancy: I burned it in English class.
- Nancy: Glen, you bastard.
- Glen: What'd I do?
- Nancy: I asked you to do just one thing. Just stay awake and watch me. Just wake me if it looked like I was having a bad dream. And what did you do, you shit? (hits Glen on the knee) You fell asleep.
- Nancy: You believe it's possible to dream about what's going to happen?
- Glen: No.
- Nancy: You believe in the bogeyman?
- Glen: No. Rod killed Tina, and you know it.
- Nancy: The killer's still loose, you know.
- Lt. Thompson: You saying somebody else killed Tina? Who?
- Nancy: I don't know who he is. But he's burned, he wears a weird hat, a red and green sweater, real dirty, and he uses some sort of knifes he's got made into a sort of glove. Like giant finger-nails.
- Nancy: [at a sleep clinic] I don't see why you couldn't just give me a pill to keep me from dreaming.
- Dr. King: Everyone's got to dream. If you don't dream, you go... (points to head)
- Marge: What are dreams, anyway?
- Dr. King: Mysteries. Incredible body hocus-pocus. Truth is we still don't know what they are or where they come from.
- Marge: [after a brief moment] What happened? That needle sank like a rock.
- Dr. King: She's entering deep sleep now. Heart rate's a little high due to anxiety, but otherwise she's nicely relaxed. All normal. She could dream at any time now. Right now she's like a diver on the bottom of an ocean no one's mapped yet. Waiting to see what shows up.
- Marge: You didn't sleep, did you? The doctor says you have to sleep or you'll--
- Nancy: Go even crazier?
- Marge: I don't think you're going crazy, and stop drinking that damn coffee.
- Nancy: [about Freddy's hat, that she brought back from her dream] His name is even in it, written right in here: Fred Krueger. Fred Krueger! You know who that is, Mom? You better tell me, cause now he's after me!
- Marge: Nancy, trust your mother for once. You'll feel better as soon as you sleep.
- Nancy: Feel better?! You call this feeling better?! Or should I grab a bottle and veg out with you. Avoid everything happening to me by just getting good and loaded.
- [Marge slaps her]
- Marge: Fred Krueger can't be after you, Nancy. He's dead! Fred Krueger is dead. Dead and gone. Believe me, I know. Now go to bed. I order you, go to bed.
- Nancy: You knew about him all this time, and you've been acting like he was someone I made up!
- Marge: You're sick, Nancy. Imagining things. You need to sleep, (picks up bottle of gin) it's as simple as that.
- Nancy: (throws bottle of gin onto floor) Screw sleep! (runs to front door)
- Marge: Nancy!
- Marge: Nancy!It's only a nightmare!
- Nancy: That's enough! (exits door)
- Glen: You ever read about the Balinese way of dreaming?
- Nancy: No.
- Glen: They got a whole system they call "dream skills". So, if you have a nightmare, for instance like falling, right?
- Nancy: Yeah.
- Glen: Instead of screaming and getting nuts, you say, okay, I'm gonna make up my mind that I fall into a magic world where I can get something special, like a poem or song. They get all their art literature from dreams. Just wake up and write it down. Dream skills.
- Nancy: And what if they meet a monster in their dream? Then what?
- Glen: They turn their back on it. Takes away its energy, and it disappears.
- Nancy: What happens if they don't do that?
- Glen: I guess those people don't wake up to tell what happens.
- Glen: [glancing at the book Nancy's reading] "Booby Traps and Improvised Anti-personnel Devices"? What're you reading it for?
- Nancy: I'm into survival.
- Marge: You want to know who Fred Krueger was? He was a filthy child killer who got at least twenty kids, kids from our area, kids we all knew. It drove us all crazy when we didn't know who was doing it. But it was even worse when they caught him.
- Nancy: What happened?
- Marge Well, the lawyers got fat and the judge got famous, but someone forgot to sign the search warrant in the right place, and Fred Krueger was free, just like that. So a bunch of us parents tracked him down after they let him go. Found him in an old boiler room. We poured gasoline all around the place, left a trail out the door, locked the door, then let it burn. He's dead, Nan. He can't get you. Mommy killed him.
- Nancy: I know you're there, Krueger.
- Freddy: You think you was gonna get away from me?
- Nancy: I know you too well now, Freddy.
- Freddy: And now you die.
- Nancy: It's too late, Krueger. I know the secret now. This is just a dream, too. You're not alive. The whole thing is a dream. I want my mother and friends again.
- Freddy: You what?
- Nancy: I take back every bit of energy I ever gave you. You're nothing. You're shit.
- Sleep Kills.
- She is the only one who can stop it... if she fails, no one survives.
- If Nancy Doesn't Wake Up Screaming She Won't Wake Up At All...
- The first word in terror from the creator of Scream
- A scream that wakes you up, might be your own...
- Whatever you do, don't fall asleep...or you'll meet the terrifying Freddy.
- Heather Langenkamp - Nancy Thompson
- Robert Englund - Freddy Krueger
- Johnny Depp - Glen Lantz
- Amanda Wyss - Tina Grey
- Nick Corri - Rod Lane
- John Saxon - Lt. Thompson
- Ronee Blakley - Marge Thompson
- Charles Fleischer - Dr. King
- A Nightmare on Elm Street - the series