The magic of first love is our ignorance that it can never end.Benjamin Disraeli
Abe Lemons (November 21, 1922 - September 2, 2002) was one of the most successful head basketball coaches in Oklahoma history.
- That's one more rebound than a dead guy.
- After his center grabbbed only one rebound in the first half of a game.
- You may be big in New York, but in Walters, Oklahoma, you're nobody.
- to broadcaster Howard Cosell
- If you had come with me, you could be the principal of a high school by now.
- to Johnny Bench, whom he tried to recruit while at Oklahoma City University.
- Damn referees. I'll miss them less than anybody.
- after losing his final game by one point, in a bid for victory No. 600
- You mean in the state?
- When asked if he felt his 1976 University of Texas basketball team should be ranked in the top twenty that season
- Finish last in your league and they call you "Idiot". Finish last in medical school and they call you "Doctor".
- I never substitute just to substitute. I play my regulars. The only way a guy gets off the floor is if he dies.
- One day of practice is like one day of clean living. It doesn't do you any good.
- I don't jog. If I die I want to be sick.
- Doctors bury their mistakes, mine are still on scholarship.
- They wanted to buy out my contract, but I couldn't make change for a $20, so they had to let me stay.
- After being asked about a group of alumni that wanted him to leave.