Adi Da Samraj (born Franklin Albert Jones, November 3, 1939 in Jamaica, New York) is a controversial spiritual teacher and religious guru and the founder of the new religious movement known as Adidam. He has used names such as Bubba Free John, Da Free John, and Da Love-Ananda to correspond with changes in his work as a spiritual teacher.
Sourced Quotes by Adi Da
- The higher dimension of religion has also always been practiced by a relatively few uncommon individuals. Indeed, it was largely the response to the more conventional or superficial aspects of such extraordinary personalities that produced the great cultic movements of exoteric religion among the masses. But such cultic movements are created by and designed for the instruction and social improvement of ordinary people, not men and women of the more highly evolved or awakened type. Therefore, alongside the development of exoteric religions there have always been secret societies and esoteric groups founded on practice of higher personal, moral, and biologically evolutionary disciplines.
- The Truth that is to be Realized may be summarized simply as the Realization that no matter what is arising, no matter how many others are present, there is only One Being. This is precisely different from the childish but common religious notion that even when you are alone there is always Someone Else present, Who will look out for you if you do the right thing. True freedom is not a matter of striking a deal with an All-Powerful Parental Deity; no such God exists. True freedom is in the Realization that there is only God and You are That One.
- Remarkably enough, the reason you are so disturbed about the facts of life that might make you fearful, sorrowful, and angry is that whenever something arises that you might appropriately be angry, fearful, or sorrowful about, you do not feel it completely. You limit your feeling of even these reactions. And you certainly limit your feeling of the circumstance, or the condition, that is arising. You are always exhibiting the evidence of limited feeling, obstructed feeling. If feeling becomes limitless, if you do not contract, then feeling becomes Being Itself — no reaction, no contraction, Feeling without limit. That Feeling goes beyond fear, sorrow, anger, and conventional happiness and loving attitudes. What is It? It is Love-Bliss. It is the Self-Existing and Self-Radiant Force of Being, without the slightest obstruction. It is Divine Enlightenment."
- The Asana of Science — Science's anti-Spiritual, anti-religious, anti-psychic point of view, and its Victorian, archaic materialism, and its prejudices against other kinds of knowing — all of this is insidious, not merely nonsensical, because it has such a profoundly negative effect on human beings. Many scientists who adopt this dogmatic approach act as if they were super-intelligent people with their tweedy, pipe-smoking, complicated linguistic minds. This is the archetype of intelligence, is it not? This is the way you are supposed to be if you are intelligent. Well, this archetype does not necessarily represent intelligence. It is just a pose, or asana. Real intelligence must be fiercely capable of investigating every aspect of existence, including the very process of knowledge that is called "science".
- The exclusion of true or esoteric religion has been the business of the State since ancient times. At first this was done via the establishment of the popular idealism of exoteric religious institutions in league with the State. But in modern times the same process is done by the strategic exclusion of conventional religious cultism, mystical idealism, and higher evolutionary Wisdom from the mechanisms of popular culture.
- In my use of the camera, I work to make images that go beyond, and even undermine, the conventions of "point of view." Such images transcend the limitation that would seem to be inherent in the photographic mechanism (or "point-of-view machine"). They allow the viewer to see and feel the "room"—or the world, or reality—as it is, beyond the ego’s self-reference. And such images thereby become a non-verbal means of "picturing" the essential human process of ego-transcendence—going beyond the fixed "point of view" of the ego, or the core presumption of separateness
- from Artist's Statement 
- There is no Enlightenment, no evolutionary entrance into the truly Spiritual Condition of human existence, without ego-death, or transcendence of the mind. There must be the literal death of the separate and separative consciousness. In this moment, you are holding on to your sense of separate consciousness as if it were something tangible and material. You possess yourself through a great contraction of body and psyche. By virtue of this gesture, you have become rigid, mediocre, deluded, relatively loveless, self-possessed, and isolated. To be without an inner consciousness is, for you, unthinkable. To be incapable of feeling yourself as a separate consciousness is, for you, a terrifying prospect. Nevertheless, that is precisely the realization with which you must become completely comfortable.
- Scientific Proof of the Existence of God Will Soon Be Announced by the White House!, p. 171
- So the Free Man is Free. Absolutely Free. Not just a little bit free. Not cut off from all of this. That's not the nature of His Freedom—humorlessness relative to the world still, non-pleasure still. No, in His Freedom He becomes capable of humor in life, capable of pleasure, or enjoyment, in the forms that are arising. That is the fullness of God-Realization. All of the humorless, pleasureless forms of experience that are often associated with God-Realization in the traditions are not God-Realization in Truth.
- Sex, Laughter, and Real-God-Realization 1975 
- Evelyn slapped Raymond on the back with a laugh. 'You must be starved old friend. Come into my apartments, and we'll suffer through a deep breakfast of pure sunlight.'
- The Mummery Book
The Knee of Listening
- Death is utterly acceptable to conciousness and life
- Page 23, 2004 Standard Edition
- The Man of "Radical" Understanding is not "entranced" . He is not "elsewhere"
- Page 421, 2004 Standard Edition
- Heartless one, Narcissuss, friend, loved one. He weeps for you to understand. After all of this why have you not understood? The only thing you have not done is understanding.
- Page 423, 2004 Standard Edition
The Method of the Siddhas
- Adi Da - Everyone has Understood ? - Questioner - : I have not Understood . Explain it ot me - Adi Da - Very good what have you not understood ?
- Page 48, 1995 New Standard Edition
- I have not come to satisfy my devotees . A satisfied devotee is still the one he or she was. I am only interested in the the utter, "radical" dissolution of that entire limitation that appears as my devotee
- Page 230, 1995 New Standard Edition
- My eccentricity and unconventionality is a demonstration of the Living and Paradoxical Quality of the Divine,or Real Condition
- Page 360, 1995 New Standard Edition
- Truth is that which, when fully realised, sets you free from all bondage and all seeking
- Page 70 Standard Edition 1998
- Be Consciousness (itself)-Contemplate Consciousness (itself)-Trancend Everything in Consciousness (itself)
- Page 89 Standard Edition 1998
- True community is nessacerily sacred, religious and one pointed, that is to say it is not focused in service to ( and fulfillment of) egos.
- Page Page 188 Standard Edition 1998
Da Love-Ananda Gita
- Yes, there is no way of religion, no way of God, no way of Divine Realisation , no way of Enlightenment, no way of Liberation that is higher or greater than Truth itself
- First word , Page 5 , 2nd Edition 2000
- I am not and have never been (or ever will) be a 'public' Teacher ( or a broadly publicly active and conventionally socially conformed, 'religious figure' )
- First word , Page 9 , 2nd Edition 2000
- The great means for the teaching and the blessing and the awakening and the Divine liberation of mankind ( and even all beings) is the Adept Realiser
- First word , Page 19 , 2nd Edition 2000
- Therefore no one should misunderstand me. By Avartarically revealing and confessing my Divine status to one and all. I am not indulging in self-appointment, or illusions of grandiose Divinity. I am not claiming the status of the " Creator God "
- First word , Page 21 , 2nd Edition 2000
- To seek Truth is to deny Truth to begin with. To seek Truth is to avoid Truth, constantly.
- Page 43 , 2nd Edition 2000
- Most perfect self-understanding is the capability to directly (immeadiatly) trancend dilemma , all problems ,all seeking
- 2nd Edition 2000
- The nature of the world is inherently obvious, if you remain in a state of total pyscho-physical oneness with whatever and all that presently arises
- Page 61 , 2nd Edition 2000
He-and-She is Me
- There is no True humour in life. In life there is conventional humour (or comedy) and there is tragedy Life is either funny, or tearful Has anyone ever found True humour in life ? True Humour is Free.
- Ist Edition 2000 ,from Talk : Garbage and the Goddess p 214
- Tat Sundaram ! All of this is Sacred , All of this is Beautiful.
- Ist Edition 2000, p 279
Crazy Da Must Sing Inclined To His Weaker Side ( Poetry)
- When I compare myself to some deliberate lives,
- I become afraid of my own softness,
- this round and thoughtless head,
- But this is my necessity,
- the circumstance of my birth
- 1st Edition 1982, p 12
- Those who despise me love me in secret,
- Those who love me openly have hidden doubts,
- 1st Edition 1982, p 44
Quotes of others about Adi Da
Arranged alphabetically by author
- I participated in and observed the evolution of one of the most exciting and sobering sacred experiments ever made....No matter what Adi Da tried, he couldn’t get people to realize the Divine Self on his terms, surrendering eternally to him as guru. He never really wanted us to duplicate his radical independence and creative originality in life.
- Adi Da's Teaching is neither utopian nor dissociative; it is simply a radically new human politics based on the Truth. Even as He transcends the common bonds of the human, Adi Da remains the Great Teacher of the pragmatic human situation. How incredibly blessed that He is here at the moment when we need Him most!
- From the first day I encountered the writings of Adi Da (as Da Free John ) in the mid 80's I knew that I was reading a contemporary religious genius. Here was someone who had succeeded in making the nonduality spirituality cherished in the traditions of Asia relevant to the Western mind
- Jeffrey J. Kripal Ph.D (Professor of Religious Studies at Rice University, Houston, Texas), Foreword Knee of Listening 2004 Edition
- There are very few spiritual teachers in the 20th century who could be termed religious geniuses. Da Free John is one of them. Since the beginning of his formal ministry in 1972 in southern California, Da Free John has produced a body of work which is unparalleled amongst new religious thinkers for its radical insight, comparative depth, and force of expression. He has won wide critical acclaim for his writings, eliciting praises from sociologists, psychologists, and theologians.
- David C. Lane from The Paradox of Da Free John
- It is obvious, from all sorts of subtle details, that he knows what IT's all about ... a rare being.
- ...my opinion is that we have, in the person of Da Free John, a Spiritual Master and religious genius of the ultimate degree. I assure you I do not mean that lightly. I am not tossing out high-powered phrases to 'hype' the works of Da Free John. I am simply offering to you my own considered opinion: Da Free John's teaching is, I believe, unsurpassed by that of any other spiritual Hero, of any period, of any place, of any time, of any persuasion.
- In the meantime, I affirm all of the extremes of my statements about Da: he is one of the greatest spiritual Realizers of all time, in my opinion, and yet other aspects of his personality lag far behind those extraordinary heights. By all means look to him for utterly profound revelations, unequalled in many ways; yet step into his community at your own risk.