Christina Aguilera was born on December 18, 1980 at Staten Island, NY. Performer since the young age of 8, she made her television debut at Star Search, then The New Mickey Mouse Club at age 12. Her break-out came in 1998 when she auditioned for the big ballad "Reflection" of the motion picture Mulan,Reflection peaked within the top twenty on the Adult Contemporary Singles Chart, and it was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for "Best Original Song" in 1998. And she got her record deal, with RCA that same week.
Aguilera took creative control over her second studio album Stripped (2002), which received mixed reviews and yet produced substantial sales. During the album's promotion, her overtly sexual image became the subject of intense criticism and ridicule, although in recent times it has given her respect for promoting independence and female empowerment. Her third studio album Back to Basics (2006) included elements of soul, jazz, and blues music. It was released to good sales and positive critical reception. Aguilera's works have earned her numerous awards, most notably five Grammy(1 Latin Grammy) Awards and sixteen nominations. She has sold over 30 million albums worldwide.
Aguilera is also noted for her incredible Vocal range. Aguilera's career is commonly thought to have just begun, Aguilera has also won an Emmy for the Saturday Night Live episode in which Aguilera was the musical guest.
- "I would take a twirling baton and use it as my 'icaphone' - that's what I called it - and lay a towel on the floor as my stage."
- "I`d sing to it, over and over, and imagine like I had this audience." (about the "Sound Of Music" soundtrack)
- "I couldn't be any happier. I mean this is my ultimate love. Ever since I've been out of diapers, I've loved to sing."
- "The only way I was able to bring myself out of all that negativity was to lock myself in my room and sing."
- "I'm always nervous before I go on stage, but once I'm out there everything is great and it's my favorite place to be."
- "A lot of people out there lip-sync. I think it's really unfair to those of us that are out there doing it for real."
- "People like to see singers play it safe and it scares people if we go beyond the boundaries sometimes."
- "I felt trapped... under the thumb of people who were mostly interested in keeping me doing exactly the same thing. But I'm not blaming anyone."
- "You are surrounded by people, each one more false than the other, always ready to step on you. Either you quickly learn to survive or you fail, you lose everything as quickly as you find success."
- "RCA wanted a sweetheart kind of girl. Trust me, it's fights, always fights, just to be myself."
- "Even though it`s hard working and what not, it's fun. Ever since I was a little girl that's what I wanted to do, so how can I complain in the end about the long hours and being tired?! It's my dream and I'm living it thanks to, you know, all the fans and everything, I'm truly blessed and I'm really grateful"
- "I'm so in the world of Nina Simone, Etta James, Billie Holiday and Eartha Kitt, one of the original bad girls."
- "I don't know what it was, but as a child I just gravitated toward the blues; it was an instinct of mine. When I got older, this is the music that soothed me, and singing it was a release.'
- "Look at Van Gogh. He couldn't sell a painting to save his life while he was alive. The poor guy had to give them away. Same with Basquiat. They used to call him 'Basket Case'. Really! But if that's what it takes to be a true artist, then I`m prepared to suffer."
- "I'd rather do what I love and get tomatoes thrown at me, than get up there, be fake, and get applause. I've got to be me"
- "I'm not an entertainer anymore. I'm ..an artist."
"If I was to change my name I would definitely change it to sarah"
- "Oh my God, you guys, I seriously do not have a speech prepared whatsoever. I'm shaking right now."
- (on winning her first Grammy)
- "Trust your own instincts... no matter what people might say about you, no matter what criticisms or negativity might come your way, but just being who you are is so important!"
- (stripped live in the UK)
- "Sorry, I don’t know much about you. I don’t follow tennis.” Christina Aguilera to Tiger Woods, after he told her he loved her music.
- "Britney and I show a little tummy and it's like, 'Oh My God.' But 'N SYNC or Backstreet Boys will do repeated pelvic thrusts to an audience of pre-pubescent girls and nobody says anything!"
- "A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."
- "But I don't believe there's a rule book, and I don't believe I have to live by society's standards".
- "People want to knock someone who's different."
- "The roughest road often leads to the top."
- "I do not intend to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."
- "The word 'pretty' just represents a stereotype of what society thinks is pretty, which is like, blonde hair. I like the word interesting rather than 'pretty’"
- "The press is just a bunch of rubbish anyway. So — you know — they never get a story right anyways, and it's always rumors and gossip and, um, over-sensationalized shit." — Christina Aguilera: Music Box Biographical Collection
- "It`s alright for artists like 50 Cent and P. Diddy to have girls dancing around them and on top of them in nothing but slinky little thongs, but when a woman comes out on her own and does, then it`s like OH MY GOD!!! how dare she?!"
- "I'm a girl who knows what she wants, goes for it, and will not settle for less".
- "I'm a risk taker and I've always been like that, especially when it comes to fashion." (2003)
- "I'm proud of my body, I`ve got nothing to be ashamed of."
- "And I have no regrets about anything in my life — even the stuff I went through with my father, because in many ways it made me who I`m today."
Quotes of Christina`s mother - Shelly Kearns
_Shelly Kearns on rumors about Christina being anorexic :
- "Christina is NOT anorexic or any such thing. She is genetically very small, as is her sister Rachel, as am I. I am 41 years old and only gained weight for the very first time in my whole life (no matter what or how much I ate!) only after the birth of my son 5 years ago and subsequent surgery, which seemed to have changed my metabolism."
_Shelly on Mikey's, Christina's youngest brother, reaction to his big sis's fame:
- "I don't think Mikey quite grasps just how unusual our situation is. I've tried to explain to him what fame is and how not everyone is like that. He seems to understand, but I'm not quite sure he totally gets it. She's just "keena" to him. And he has stopped asking 'where is keena' and now usually just phrases it "Is Keena in LA?", because most of the time when he asks, the answer usually is there. He asks more about when she'll be coming home or when we'll be going to see her than he does about where she is."
_Shelly on people who criticize her daughter:
- "People will find something negative to criticize about you if they think you are talented in some area, simply due to their own sense of insecurity."
_Shelly on how she thinks about Christina's attitude:
- "Well, when Christina first began to become an adult out on her own, it was odd for me to not have her here all the time, etc. But the one thing that I always have been determined with as far as myself is concerned, is to love my kids for who they are. Oh, I'll tell her in a heartbeat if something she does or says offends me or upsets me. BUT, I'm also one who won't allow myself to lose my head over what I consider to be shallow and stupid things, and the vast majority of things ARE stupid and shallow!"
- "I personally think that WAAAAY too many parents do overreact. (Lord, I'm going to get mail now!) But really...they don't seem to know the difference between the different levels of depth and importance that things have in their kids lives. It's often that if THEY would do something or can understand something, then it's okay that their kids do it. But if they wouldn't do it, their kids can't either--even though the kids are grown! Not respecting their kids individuality much, actually. Usually out of fear and not so much because it's a horrible thing. It's much easier to scream and shut down when faced with something that might rock the boat a little."
Quotes About Her
- "This is her life long dream." Bob Jamieson, president of RCA
- "She's one of the greatest. She was born to sing." Ron Fair, executive producer
- "She's at the top of her class." Diane Warren, writer
- "But more than anything, she's an incredible vocalist." Steve Kurtz
- "They called her the diva." (Matt Cassella, about Christina's mouseketers mates)
- "I love Christina Aguilera! She`s completely original. She`s great, she takes chances. She's unapologetic. (Rita Wilson)
- "...you are ...the greatest vocalist of our time..." (Axl Rose)