Al Franken was born on May 21, 1951 in New York City into a Jewish family, and grew up in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis. He is an American satirist, comedian, bestselling author, and radio host with a predominantly liberal point of view. Franken was half of the comedy duo Franken & Davis alongside Tom Davis which wrote for and performed for NBC's Saturday Night Live. Franken is considered one of the more popular liberal commentators. On March 31, 2004, Franken became host of Air America Radio's flagship program, The Al Franken Show.
- "Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from."
- Oh, the Things I Know, 2002
- "When you encounter seemingly good advice that contradicts other seemingly good advice, ignore them both."
- Oh, the Things I Know, 2002
- "The biases the media has are much bigger than conservative or liberal. They're about getting ratings, about making money, about doing stories that are easy to cover."
- Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them, 2003\
- "We need to be pro-science; we have to go back to science."
- Said at a Book Signing on December 4th, 2005 in Edina MN
- "I do personal attacks only on people who specialize in personal attacks." 
As Stuart Smalley
Stuart Smalley was a fictional character, invented and performed by Franken on the television series Saturday Night Live and the motion picture Stuart Saves His Family. The following are catchphrases attributed to the character.
- "That's just stinkin' thinkin!"
- "You're should-ing all over yourself."
- "Whining is just anger coming out of a very small opening."
- "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."
- "I am a worthy human being."
- "I'm going to die homeless, penniless, and 30 pounds overweight."
- "It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the whole world."
"When you assume, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman. Isn't that cute?"
- "And by the way, a few months ago, I trademarked the word 'funny.' So when Fox calls me 'unfunny,' they're violating my trademark. I am seriously considering a countersuit."
- response to Fox's copyright infringement suit over Franken's use of the words "fair and balanced" in Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
- "I think if you're going to do a movie about Reagan, you do it about the fact that he created the huge deficit, that he armed the Mujahideen, that he armed Saddam, that he armed Iran, that he armed two-thirds of the Axis of Evil, and that he funded terrorists in Central America. He was, in my mind, a terrible president."
- "Most of us here in the media are what I call infotainers...Rush Limbaugh is what I call a disinfotainer. He entertains by spreading disinformation."
- "Drug war, well, as Rush Limbaugh said, anyone who uses drugs illegally should be prosecuted and put away. I don't agree with him: I think they should be treated, but that's what Rush believes and so, you know, we're praying for Rush because he's in recovery and you take responsibilities for your actions so I'm sure any day now Rush will demand to be put away for the maximum sentence and ask for the most dangerous prison and we'll be praying for maybe an African American cellmate who saw the Donovan McNabb comments on ESPN. So we're prayin'."
- "There's no liberal echo chamber in this country. There's a right-wing echo chamber. I want to create a countervailing echo chamber."
- "If you listen to a lot of conservatives, they'll tell you that the difference between them and us is that conservatives love America and liberals hate America.... They don't get it. We love America just as much as they do. But in a different way. You see, they love America the way a 4-year-old loves her Mommy. Liberals love America like grown-ups. To a 4-year-old, everything Mommy does is wonderful and anyone who criticizes Mommy is bad. Grown-up love means actually understanding what you love, taking the good with the bad, and helping your loved one grow. Love takes attention and work and is the best thing in the world."