To fall in love is easy, even to remain in it is not difficult; our human loneliness is cause enough. But is a hard quest worth making to find a comrade through whose steady presence one becomes steadily the person one desires to be.Anna Strong
Jagged Little Pill (1995)
- "Do I stress you out? My sweater is on backwards and inside out and you say 'How appropriate'."
- "An older version of me,
Is she perverted like me?
Would she go down on you in a theatre?"
- "...and every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it"
- "My brothers,
They never went blind for what they did, but I may as well have.
In the name of the Father, the Skeptic and the Son,
I had one more stupid question."
- "There's an obvious attraction to the path of least resistance in your life.
There's an obvious aversion no amount of my insistance could make you try tonight"
- "Wake Up"
- "How can you just throw words around like grieve and heal and mourn?"
- "The Couch"
- "To all the unheard wisdom in the school yard: you think you're the right ones; you swear you're the charmed ones I'm sure. But how can you go on with such conviction? Who do you think you are when you question me?"
- "Can't Not"
- "Supposed former infatuation junkie,
I sink three pointers and you wax poetically."
- "So Pure"
- "You were uncomfortable in your own skin you were thirsty but mostly you were beautiful"
- "Dear popular boy I know you're used to getting everything so easily/ A stranger to the concept of reciprocity/ People honor boys like you in this society" -from "Narcissus"
- "I want to decide between survival and bliss/ And though I know who I'm not I still don't know who I am/ But I know I won't keep on playing the victim" -from "Precious Illusions"
Feast on Scraps (2002)
- "Sometimes I feel more bigness than I've shared with you
Sometimes I wonder why I quell when I'm not required to"
- "Fear of Bliss"
- "You're unsure and you're not ready so that must mean I want you
You're unavailable and disinterested and to you I look for comfort"
- "Bent for You"
- "I'd speak of artistry you would roll your eyes skyward
When I'd speak of spirituality you would label it absurd
When I spoke of possibility you would frown and shake your head
If I had stayed much longer, I'd have surely imploded"
- "Unprodigal Daughter"
So-Called Chaos (2004)
- "How to lie to yourself and thereby to everyone else,
How to keep smiling when you're thinking of killing yourself."
- "I want to be naked running through the streets,
I want to invite this so-called chaos that you think I dare not be."
- "So Called Chaos"
- "You've been vilified, used as fodder, you deserve a piece of every record."
- "This Grudge"
- "I feel this, truly proclaimed, will help the curbing of this tendency
I know this sharing of shame will ensure that I won't forget myself so easily"
- "I am the funniest woman that you've ever known.
I am the dullest woman that you've ever known.
I'm the most gorgeous woman that you've ever known and you've never met anyone
Who is as everything as I am sometimes."
- "When [Jagged Little Pill] came out, I feel like I immediately went into survival mode to keep the 'overwhelm' that comes from being famous at bay. Ten years later, I have the luxury of time and distance to formally honor it."
- "a feeling is not bottemless. once felt all the way through,a great peace greets you there.
- "There's nothing ironic about being stuck in a traffic jam when you're late for something. [pause] Unless you're a town planner. If you were a town planner... and you were late for a seminar of town planners at which you were giving a talk on how you solved the problem of traffic congestion in your area, and couldn't get to it because you got stuck in a traffic jam, that'd be well ironic! [mimicking a town planner] 'I'm sorry, lads, you'll never guess!'"
- Ed Byrne, Pedantic and Whimsical