Alessandro Del Piero
Getting an idea should be like sitting down on a pin. It should make you jump up and do something.E. L. Simpson
- Del Piero is known for his sense of humour. He once joked that if Lippi does not convoke him to the World Cup in Germany, he would "run him over with his car and sink his damn boat".
- He is considered to have a strong bond with the Juventus fans, once stating; "I'm proud to be a Juventino, to be a "bandiera", like you define me to be often, in reality I'm just a small part of a big black & white "bandiera" (flag) that grows with the years and if you look closely your name is part of it... To continue making this "bandiera" grow we need everybody: let's stay united."
- During the calciopoli scandal: "A true gentleman never leaves his lady." (Un vero cavaliere non lascia mai una signora)
About Alessandro Del Piero
- Mauro Camoranesi: "He is an exceptional person and really doesn’t need to prove himself to anyone. Del Piero is a wonderful man and player."
- Fabio Capello: "I believe in champions and Alex is a champion". "Del Piero is a player of very high quality and deserves his record". Because of having many strikers in the squad: "Sometimes I feel embarrassed at putting him on the bench."
- Angelo Di Livio: "I've met Ale at the Primavera. And he was already a phenomenon. He was so brave that we forced the coach to make him debut at the main team". "He has those abilities that only great stars have. And everyone, as soon as they saw him, said “This one will surely make it".
- Mark Hughes: "Even though Del Piero may be well into his 30s now, he remains one of the great players".
- Pepe Kamel :"With his charm and charisma he has won us all, his creativity and magnificent talent have given us nothing more to ask for, and his free kicks, no comment"
- Marcello Lippi: "Del Piero is a champion with extraordinary technical ability and wonderful characteristics. When he is selected he never disappoints. He is an example to us all." "He has great skills and intuitions that few other players have". "He is a captain in the real sense of the word".
- Diego Maradona: Talking about the best 100 world footballers ever he says "Here he is, he is different from Zidane, he likes to play, he feels it in his soul; between he and the French (Zinedine Zidane), I stay with him."
- Adrian Mutu: "Alex is an example for all of us. He works hard in training without ever speaking out."
- Ruben Olivera: "Del Piero is my idol. When I arrived at Juventus and I was introduced to Alex, it was like touching the heavens with my finger"
- Fabrizio Ravanelli: "Del Piero is able to do certain things, that could seem extraordinary, but he does them like they were simple"
- Alessio Tacchinardi: "He (Del Piero) always comes to the training field with a smile for everyone, a comforting word for everyone. This is his greatness: humbleness... he’s a golden person".
- Giuseppe Taglialatela: The former SSC Napoli keeper recalls a goal conceded from Del Piero: "Let’s say he scored a goal a la Baggio, a la Maradona. He took the ball in midfield, dribbled 3-4 teammates of mine. He’s good, what can I say?"
- Gianluca Zambrotta: "It’s still surprising to me that Alessandro Del Piero has gone through his career without winning this trophy" (the Ballon d'Or).
- Nicola Legrottaglie: "For us he's an example. He's an exceptional lad outside the playing field, and consequently also on the pitch. He always proves this and he proves it in spirit.I arrived here five years ago and I saw him in a certain way, but after five years, now I'm seeing the first Del Piero again, the one I admired many years ago."
- "El mañana", February 15, 2006