Man was predestined to have free will.Hal Luyah
- It's better to help people than to be like a gnome in the garden.
- I had two heart attacks, an abortion, did crack... while I was pregnant. Other than that, I'm fine. [to her father, who is not paying attention]
- Je n'aime pas dans les vieux films américains quand les conducteurs ne regardent pas la route.
- [whispering in theater] I like to look for things no one else catches. I hate the way drivers never look at the road in old American movies.
- Vous au moins, vous ne risquez pas d'être un légume, puisque même un artichaut a du cœur.
- At least you'll never be a vegetable — even artichokes have hearts.
- Sans toi, les émotions d'aujourd'hui ne seraient que la peau morte des émotions d'autrefois.
- Without you today's emotions would be the scurf of yesterday's
- Et de ratage en ratage, on s'habitue à ne jamais dépasser le stade du brouillon. La vie n'est que l'interminable répétition d'une représentation qui n'aura jamais lieu.
- Failure teaches us that life is but a draft, an endless rehearsal of a show that will never play.
- Voilà, ma petite Amélie, vous n'avez pas des os en verre. Vous pouvez vous cogner à la vie. Si vous laissez passer cette chance, alors avec le temps, c'est votre cœur qui va devenir aussi sec et cassant que mon squelette. Alors, allez y, nom d'un chien!
- My Little Amélie, you don't have bones made of glass. You can take life's knocks. If you let this chance go, in time, it will be your heart which will become as dry and brittle as my skeleton. So, go, for Pete's sake!
- In the apartment downstairs from Amélie lives Raymond Dufayel; they call him "The Glass Man." He was born with bones as brittle as crystal. All his furniture is padded. A handshake could crush his fingers. He's stayed inside for twenty years. Time has changed nothing.
- Nino is late. Amelie can only see two explanations. 1 - he didn't get the photo. 2 - before he could assemble it, a gang of bank robbers took him hostage. The cops gave chase. They got away... but he caused a crash. When he came to, he'd lost his memory. An ex-con picked him up, mistook him for a fugitive, and shipped him to Istanbul. There he met some Afghan raiders who took him to steal some Russian warheads. But their truck hit a mine in Tajikistan. He survived, took to the hills, and became a Mujaheddin. [Increasingly angry] Amelie refuses to get upset for a guy who'll eat borscht all his life in a hat like a tea cozy.
- In such a dead world, Amelie prefers to dream until she's old enough to leave home
- Eva: Les temps sont durs pour les rêveurs.
- Times are hard for dreamers.
- Newsstand Woman: Une femme sans amour, c'est comme une fleur sans soleil, ça dépérit.
- A woman without love is like a flower without sun; she wilts.
- Little boy: When a finger is pointing up to the sky, only a fool looks at the finger.
- [Mme. Wallace is reading an old letter from her long-deceased husband.]
Mme. Wallace: "When my sweet little weasel appears at the station…" Did anyone ever write you like that?
Amélie: No. I'm nobody's little weasel [Je ne suis la belette de personne].
- Audrey Tautou — Amélie Poulain
- Mathieu Kassovitz — Nino Quincampoix
- Rufus — Raphaël Poulain, Amélie's Father
- Yolande Moreau — Madeleine Wallace, the Concierge
- Arthus de Penguern — Hipolito, the Writer
- Urbain Cancelier — Collignon, the Grocer
- Jamel Debbouze — Lucien
- Serge Merlin — Raymond Dufayel