Amazing Grace (2006 film)
Amazing Grace is a 2006 film about the campaign against the slave trade in 18th century Britain, led by famous abolitionist William Wilberforce, who was responsible for steering anti-slave trade legislation through the British parliament.
- I want you to remember that smell... remember the Madagascar... remember, God made men equal.
- Oh, if the House of Lords could hear the idiotic way we carry on, they'd ban anyone under the age of 30 from holding high office again.
- Remember that God made men equal.
- Also, Barbara and I have discovered that we're both impatient and prone to rash decisions. But she wants to tell you about it herself.
- I bow to my friend in all superior matters regarding the pox.
- In my heart I want spider's webs!
- Perhaps we should begin this journey with a first step.
- [after Pitt beats him running] It's my ministerial duty to let you win.
- God has set before me two great objects.
- It's only painful to talk about because we haven't changed anything.
- You wake me up to give me medicine to help me sleep?
- It seems to me, that if there is a bad taste in your mouth, you spit it out. You don't constantly swallow it back.
- You still have passion! That matters more!
- Because after night comes day.
- You're discussing politics with your eyes. You might as well do it with your mouths.
- Well I would have been bored by botany.
- Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly. I'm a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.
- God sometimes does His work with gentle drizzle, not storms. Drip. Drip. Drip.
- [through tears] I'm weeping. I couldn't weep till I wrote this.
- I wish I could remember all their names. My 20,000 ghosts, they all had names, beautiful African names. We'd call them with just grunts, noises. We were apes, they were human. [tears up]
Pitt the Younger
- Trouble is, Doctor, he doesn't believe he has a body. Utterly careless of it.
- I find that the older I get, the more tender I become.
- [to Lord Fox] You always look more at home when you're doing something devious.
- It's your wedding day - I agree with everything you say.
- [on his deathbed] No more excuses, Wilber. Finish them off.
- William Wilberforce: No matter how loud you shout, you will not drown out the voice of the people!
- Lord Tarleton: People?
- Behind the song you love is a story you will never forget.
- Every song has its story. Every generation has its hero.
- One voice changed the lives of millions
- You know the song, now be part of the story.
- The incredible true story of one man's fight to change the world.
- One man led a movement that changed the world.
- Ioan Gruffudd - William Wilberforce
- Romola Garai - Barbara Spooner
- Benedict Cumberbatch - William Pitt the Younger
- Albert Finney - John Newton
- Michael Gambon - Charles James Fox
- Rufus Sewell - Thomas Clarkson
- Youssou N'Dour - Olaudah Equiano
- Ciarán Hinds - Banastre Tarleton
- Toby Jones - William, Duke of Clarence
- Nicholas Farrell - Henry Thornton
- Sylvestra Le Touzel - Marianne Thornton
- Jeremy Swift - Richard the Butler
- Stephen Campbell Moore - James Stephen
- Bill Paterson - Lord Dundas
- Nicholas Day - Sir William Dolben
- Georgie Glen - Hannah More
- Nicholas Woodeson - Harrison