An American Tail
A person is never happy till their vague strivings has itself marked out its proper limitations.Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
- I'm your guard, Tiger. Don't make any sudden moves, 'cause I'm crafty and I'm quick. I've got the instincts of a cat. What am I saying? I am a cat!
- You lost your family? Oh, dear. That's terrible. I lost my family, too. Years ago, I mean. [Starts sobbing] Eight brothers. Ten sisters! Three fathers!
- Listen... I like mice-- [Fievel cries] Oh, no. Not like that! You see, I don't eat red meat at all. I'm a vegetarian. Oh, a little fish now and then, but what I really like is a nice piece of... shh... broccoli.
- Stick with me, kid. [Fievel holds on tightly to Tony's arm] Hey, hey, hey! What, are we engaged or something?
Warren T. Rat
- Heh heh, trust me, kid. Trust me.
- Don't worry, gentlemen. There are plenty of mice in Hong Kong.
- Hey, I wonder how you say "trust me" in Chinese.
- Papa, why'd they change my name to Tilly?
- Fievel, this is the last time I take you to America.
- This is America! We have free speech! We can say "cat" here! Cat, cat, cat, and double-cat!
[Heavy German accent, cannot say "R" - spelling is intentional to show the sounds she makes]
- Today was the woist day evewr. Those cats are killing eveweone. They don't even know the diffewences between wich and poow. The wetches!
- Money isn't evewething. I know because I have money, and I have evewething. But what awe they worth without fweedom?
- We have a plan. E Pluweibus Unum.
- Wewease the secwet weapon!
- [At the wake of Mickey O'Hare - he is rather intoxicated] Poor lad. So young. He never had a chance to vote. Well, he'll vote from now on. I'll see to that. [Shakily writes Mickey's name on a notebook under "Ghost Votes"]
- Qu'est-ce que c'est? A little immigrant. Now they are coming by bottle.
- Mama Mousekewitz: Fievel! Tanya! Stop that twirling, twirling! I mean it!
- Papa Mousekewitz: But Mama, it's Hannukah.
- Mama Mousekewitz: For you, every night is Hannukah.
- Papa Mousekewitz: For Tanya, a new babushka. Happy Hannukah.
- Tanya Mousekewitz: Oh, Papa, thank you.
- Mama Mousekewitz: You have only one parent?
- Tanya Mousekewitz: Thank you, Mama.
- [Warren T. Rat playing the violin]
- Warren T. Rat: Rats! This nose, this nose keeps getting in the way.
- Digit: You could stop playing.
- Warren T. Rat: That's funny. I've never known a cockroach with good taste, but I've known plenty that taste - heh, heh - good.
- Digit: [nervously] Heh-eheh. Play, play, play!
- Henri: Where is your mama, your papa, huh?
- Fievel Mousekewitz: I don't know. They were on a boat to America.
- Henri: Then you are in luck, my little immigrant. This is America.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: America. But I thought it was bigger.
- Henri: Oh, it is bigger. All of that is also America.
- Henri: I know, my little immigrant. You want to find your family. And you will.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: But how? They're so far away, and it's so big. I'll never find them anyway.
- Henri: J'me excuse pardonnez, but did you say never? So young, and you've already lost hope! This is America, the place to find hope. If you give up now, you will never find your family. So never say never.
- Henri: Now, are you ready to go find your family?
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Yes!
- Henri: Chantal! Take my little friend to Immigration. You will find your family there. Everyone goes through Immigration. I would take you there myself, but then I would never finish my statue.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Henri, you said never.
- Henri: Oh, so I did!
- Fievel Mousekewitz: I'm looking for my family.
- Warren T. Rat: Hey, you've come to the right fella, kid. I know exactly where they are. Follow me.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: But Henri said I would find them here.
- Warren T. Rat: Have it your way, kid. But remember what Shakespeare said, and I quote: "Opportunity knocks but... uh, but...”
- Digit: Psst! Once.
- Warren T. Rat: "... but-but once. Taken at the tide, t'will lead to fortune. If denied, t'will never return."
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Do you really know where my family is?
- Warren T. Rat: Heh heh, trust me, kid. Trust me.
- Papa Mousekewitz: Ah, so, Mr Curious, you've discovered the herring.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Herring? I thought they were fish.
- Papa Mousekewitz: But Fievel, herring are fish.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Really, Papa?
- Papa Mousekewitz: Oh, yes. In the ocean, there are many kinds of fish, and herring is one of them.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: All kinds?
- Papa Mousekewitz: Yes. Tiny fishes, not so tiny fishes, fishes as big as this boat.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Wow! Let's go up and see the fish.
- Tiger: I like butterflies with big, golden wings, and blue and green tips.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Me too!
- Tiger: I like Swiss cheese ice cream.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Me too! Me too!
- Tiger: You too-too? Hmmmmm, Wait a minute. What's your favorite book?
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Hmm, the Brothers Karamousov.
- Tiger: [laughing] The Brothers... I don't believe it!
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Look, Papa! Smoke! Is the boat on fire?
- Papa Mousekewitz: No! Keep walking!
- Digit: Would you please put out that filthy thing? I'm suffocating down here!
- Warren T. Rat: You don't like it? Hey, you know you're not the only cockoroach in New York City. There are millions of roaches who give their left feet to work for Warren T. Rat.
- Digit: Good! Fire me! I'm fed up with that filthy smoke in this pocket! I've seen kitchen shelves cleaner than this place! Look at my suit!
- Warren T. Rat: Tiger, how did he get away?!
- Tiger: [half-heartedly protesting] He overpowered me.
- Warren T Rat: You're fired!
- Tiger: Good, I'm glad. I never liked you. And besides, your music stinks!
- Papa Mousekewitz: In America, there are mouse holes in every wall.
- Mama Mousekewitz: Who says?
- Papa, Tanya and Fievel: Everyone!
- Papa Mousekewitz:In America, there are bread crumbs on every floor.
- Mama Mousekewitz: You're talking nonsense!
- Papa Mousekewitz: In America, you can say anything you want, but most important - and this I know for a fact - in America, there are no cats.
- Gussie Mausheimer: [heavy accent] We must have a wawwy.
- Honest John: A wawwy? What's a wawwy?
- Gussie Mausheimer: [heavy accent] You know, a wawge gathewing of mice for a weason.
- Honest John: Oh, a rally!
- Gussie Mausheimer: [heavy accent] That's what I said, a wawwy.
- Warren T. Rat: Just throw down that kid!
- Tony Toponi: Oh, yeah?
- [Knocks off Warren's fake nose with his slingshot]
- Tony Toponi: Bullseye!
- [the crowd murmurs]
- Warren T. Rat: Disregard the nose. What's in a nose? A nose by any other name would smell as sweet...
- [Tony knocks off Warren's fake ears]
- Crowd: Great whiskers! He's a cat! [other voices] Hey! A Cat! A Cat! Cat!
- Warren T. Rat: Hey, hey, hey! Wait a minute. Who are you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
- Warren T. Rat: If music be the food of love, play on, McDuff, play on.
- Digit: [miserably] I don't know which is worse, the music or the Shakespeare?
- Tiger: [playing cards] I got it! I got it! I got it! Rummy!
- Cat: Tiger, for the hundredth time, we're playing poker.
- [Fievel sees Warren's true form from behind the mirror]:
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Warren T.!
- Warren T. Rat: [Warren sees Fievel] You!
- Fievel Mousekewitz: You're not a rat, you're a cat!
- Warren T. Rat: How'd you get in here? Come here, you little...
- [Warren grabs Fievel, but Fievel bites him, pushes the mirror on him, and runs off]:
- Warren T. Rat: Gentlemen, cat's out of the bag.
- [throws the mirror off him and to the ground]
- Warren T. Rat: [yells] Get me that mouse!
- Tony Toponi: Tony Toponi's the name. Put her there erh-
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Fievel. Fievel Mousekewitz.
- Tony Toponi: Fievel? Ooh, that name's got to go! I know... Philly!
- Fievel Mousekewitz: [giggles] Philly?
- Tony Toponi: Yeah, fits you perfect.
- Orphan #1: Hey, what's your story?
- Fievel Mousekewitz: I'm looking for my family.
- Orphan #2: Hey, fellas! He's looking for his family.
- Orphan #1, Orphan #3: [Mockingly] He's looking for his family!
- Orphan #3: I stopped that a long time ago.
- Orphan #2: At least you know who they are.
- Orphan #1: Why are you looking for them? They should be looking...
- Orphan #1, Orphan #2, Orphan #3: ...for you!
- Orphan #3: They don't care. Forget 'em.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: [Angry] You're right! They don't care, and if they did, they would have found me! Well, if they don't care, I don't care! I hope I never see them again!
- Orphan #2: Yeah! Forget 'em! You're one of us now!
- Orphan #1: Here. Make yourself a bed.
- [They toss hay over Fievel]
- Orphan #1: Ha-ha-ha! Pitiful.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: [Crying] I'll never find them anyway. Never. Never. Never. This is my home now.
- Mouse Cop: We've got to do something about them cats.
- Honest John: Besides paying Warren T. Rat for no protection.
- Mama Mousekewitz: Oh, my little boy, back from the dead. America, what a place.
- Papa Mousekewitz: My Fievel. I thought I would never see you again.
- Fievel Mousekewitz: Never say never, Papa.
- Papa Mousekewitz: Oh, I nearly forgot. Here, Fievel, your hat.
- [The hat drops as before; Fievel adjusts the hat with his ears]:
- Mama Mousekewitz: The hat, it fits!
- Papa Mousekewitz: My son! Now, you are a mouse.
- Meet Fievel. In his search to find his family, he discovered America.
- Phillip Glasser ... Fievel Mousekewitz (voice)
- Dom DeLuise ... Tiger (voice)
- Nehemiah Persoff ... Papa Mousekewitz (voice)
- Erica Yohn ... Mama Mousekewitz (voice)
- Amy Green ... Tanya Mousekewitz (voice)
- John Finnegan ... Warren T. Rat (voice)
- Pat Musick ... Tony Toponi (voice)
- Cathianne Blore ... Bridget (voice)
- Neil Ross ... Honest John (voice)
- Madeline Kahn ... Gussie Mausheimer (voice)
- Will Ryan ... Digit (voice)
- Christopher Plummer ... Henri (voice)
- Hal Smith ... Moe (voice)