An Officer and a Gentleman
Speak low if you speak love.Don Pedro
GySgt. Emil Foley
- [referring to Della Serra's haircut] Now this is my idea of an ass bandit. Wait till some of the local girls get a look at you, Scrotum Head.
- I don't believe what I'm seein'. Where've you been all your lives? At an orgy? Listening to Mick Jagger and bad-mouthin' our country, I'll bet!
- There's not gonna be any liberty for you boys, 'cause you'll be going home by then.
- In every class, there's always one joker who thinks that he's smarter than me. In that class, that happens to be you. Isn't it, Mayo-naise?
- [his first cadence, for Zack and the other OC's] Sergeant Foley, can't you see; A Puget Deb is after me; Please don't let me catch my tail; I'd be better off in the country jail...! My mom was a Deb, my grandma too; That's all them gals know how to do; She'll catch my butt before she's through; Sergeant Foley, it's up to you!
- [his second cadence, for Zack alone] Candidate Mayo's strutting in the dirt; Look at his face, he's starting to hurt; Here he is, thinking he's a great big star; But before too long, he's gonna D.O.R.; Seen guys like you a hundred times; I'm telling you, Mayo, I'm one of a kind; Gonna give you more than you can take; I'm gonna watch you crumble and watch you break!
- [when cadet Seeger fails to climb wall] You're one of those girls who couldn't get enough of daddy's attention because he really wanted a son...That's right, walk around, Sugar Britches!
- [After a trainee at attention tells him he comes from Tucson, Arizona] There are only two things come out of Arizona. they are steers and queers."
- Sid Worley: Look, Zack. It's them. Holy shit. Look at them bodacious set of ta's ta's.
- Paula Porkrifki: You know something, you ain't nothing special. You got no manners, you treat women like whores, and if you ask me, you got ne chance of being no officer.
- Lynette Pomeroy: [last lines] Way to go, Paula! Way to go!
- [first lines]
- Zack Mayo: [whispered to his sleeping father] Hey.
- [flashback to Manila]
- Byron Mayo: Hey, kid. Are you Zack?
- Young Zack Mayo: Yes, sir.
- Byron Mayo: I'm Byron; nice to meet you.
- Young Zack Mayo: Yes, sir.
- Byron Mayo: I'm out at sea three weeks out of every month, and when I'm back at port, I don't have time for this daddy stuff, 'cause that's not who I am.
- Young Zack Mayo: That's okay, sir.
- Byron: Wait a second, kid, you don't understand. I'm too old for this. I don't care what the Navy says. This is no place to bring up a kid like I told you on the telephone. You're better of at that state school back at Virginia.
- Young Zack: I'm never going back there. They treat me like shit.
- Byron: Maybe that's not for you to say. Goddamnit, don't look at me that way. What happened to your mother had nothing to do with me.
- Young Zack: It did. You said you were gonna come back. You promised.
- Byron: Is that what she said? That's a female lie. That's bullshit! That a lie!
- Young Zack: I found your letters. I read them right after she did it. You said you were gonna come back for us. You said you loved her, and she believed you. You're a liar!
- Subic Street Thug: Akin na pera mo! ["Give me your money!" in Tagalog]
- Young Zack Mayo: But I have no money!
- Subic Street Thug: Bullshit! [punches Mayo in the face. Thugs take Mayo's wallet]
- GySgt. Emil Foley: [looks at Mayo's tattoo] Where'd you get this tattoo?
- Zack Mayo: Subic Bay, Philippines, sir.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: I thought I recognized that work. Be proud of those wings. They're the only one you're leaving here with, Mayo-NAISE.
- Topper Daniels: Who the hell is that guy?
- Perryman: That's you momma and daddy for the next thirteen weeks.
- Paula Pokrifki: Zack, when you're through with a girl, what do you do? Do you you say something or do you just...disappear?
- Zack Mayo: I never had a girl.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: Mayo, I want your D.O.R.
- Zack Mayo: No, sir. You can kick me outta here, but I ain't quitting.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: Get into your fatigues, Mayo. By the end of this weekend, you'll quit.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: You can forget it! You're out!
- Zack Mayo: Don't you do it! Don't! You... I got nowhere else to go! I got nowhere else to g... I got nothin' else.
- Zack Mayo: You didn't kick him out, did you? Wait, sir! Didn't he tell you what he's been going through?
- GySgt. Emil Foley: It doesn't matter what he's been going through; that's what bartenders are for. What does matter is that he freaked out for some reason at twenty-five thousand feet, and that can happen. Period.
- Zack Mayo: There's this girl that he's gotten pregnant, and she's putting him through hell, sir.
- Sid Worley: He's right, Zack. It doesn't matter.
- Zack Mayo: Just like that? It's all over? With less than two weeks to go, you're out?
- GySgt Emil Foley: It can still happen to you too, Mayo-naise.
- Zack Mayo: I am talking to you, motherfucker!
- GySgt. Emil Foley: What did you call me?
- Sid Worley: Lynette, marry me. Make me the happiest man in the whole world.
- Lynette Pomeroy: I'm sorry, Sid, but I don't wanna marry you. I really like you. We've had ourselves some really great times, but I thought you understood. I want to marry a pilot. I want to live my life overseas. The wife of an aviator...[bitterly] Damn you! Goddamn you! Nobody DOR's after 11 weeks! NOBODY!
- Zack Mayo: Sir, this officer candidate request permission to see you in private... sir.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: [gently] Mayo, the whole class already knows about Candidate Worley, and we're sorry.
- Zack Mayo: Oh, I'm sure you are.
- [upon graduation]
- GySgt. Emil Foley: Congratulations, Ensign Seegar.
- Casey Seegar: Thank you, sir.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: Gunnery Sgt, Ensign Seegar, sir.
- [upon graduation]
- GySgt. Emil Foley: Congratulations, Ensign Mayo.
- Zack Mayo: Thank you, sir.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: Gunnery Sgt, Ensign Mayo, sir. [salutes]
- Zack Mayo: I'll never forget you.
- GySgt. Emil Foley: [with a straight face] Get the hell out of here.
- Life gave him nothing, except the courage to win... and a woman to love.
- It will lift you up where you belong.
|Richard Gere||Zack Mayo|
|Debra Winger||Paula Pokrifki|
|David Keith||Sid Worley|
|Robert Loggia||Byron Mayo|
|Lisa Blount||Lynette Pomeroy|
|Lisa Elibacher||Casey Seegar|
|Louis Gossett, Jr.||GySgt. Emil Foley|
|Tony Plana||Emiliano Della Serra|
|David Caruso||Topper Daniels|
|Victor French||Joe Pokrifki|
|Grace Zabriskie||Esther Pokrifki|
|Ed Begley, Jr.||Altitude Chamber Instructor (voice)|