Teach only love for that is what you are.A Course In Miracles
- The opportunities for heroism are limited in this kind of world: the most people can do is sometimes not to be as weak as they’ve been at other times.
- Malcolm Cowley (ed.) Writers at Work: The Paris Review Interviews, First Series (New York: Viking Press,  1959) p. 261.
- The impulse to write a novel comes from a momentary unified vision of life.
- The Wild Garden (London: Secker & Warburg, 1963) p. 149.
- People are able to live with only half a heart, to live without real compassion, because they are able to use words that are only forms.
- Interviewed in Iona Review no. 3 (Fall 1972).
- His fiction – radical, satirical, polyvalent, sexually courageous, global – extended the mainstream novel, and led it somewhere else. Still not fully recognized, he was one of Britain's greatest late-twentieth-century writers.