A pity beyond all telling is hid in the heart of love.William Butler Yeats
This page is for quotes on the subject of Apathy.
Organized alphabetically by author.
- I have a very strong feeling that the opposite of love is not hate — it's apathy. It's not giving a damn.
- Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all — the apathy of human beings.
- Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinion at all.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, Aphorisms (1764-99)
- Once you have glimpsed the world as it might be, as it ought to be, as it's going to be (however that vision appears to you), it is impossible to live compliant and complacent anymore in the world as it is.
- Victoria Safford in "The Small Work in the Great Work" in The Impossible Will Take a Little While: A Citizen's Guide to Hope in a Time of Fear (2004) by Paul Rogat Loeb
- Bad officials are elected by good citizens who do not vote.
- The worst sin towards our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
- George Bernard Shaw, The Devil's Disciple (1897)
- He who has never hoped can never despair.
- George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra (1906)
- He who does not punish evil commands it to be done.
- Apathy is the glove in which evil slips its hand.
- "Prof. McDoogle" in National Lampoon's Van Wilder
- What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.
- Variant: Which is worse: ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care.
- Apathy can only be spread by those who do not bother to do anything about it.