Happiness lies neither in vice nor in virtue; but in the manner we appreciate the one and the other, and the choice we make pursuant to our individual organization.Marquis De Sade
Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and structures.
- The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.
- Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
- Architects know that some kinds of design problems are more personal than others. One of the cleanest, most abstract design problems is designing bridges. There your job is largely a matter of spanning a given distance with the least material. The other end of the spectrum is designing chairs. Chair designers have to spend their time thinking about human butts.
- Paul Graham, "Five Questions About Language Design" (May 2001)
- A spider conducts operations that resemble those of a weaver, and a bee puts to shame many an architect in the construction of her cells. But what distinguishes the worst architect from the best of bees is this, that the architect raises his structure in imagination before he erects it in reality
- I do not believe that ever any building was truly great, unless it had mighty masses, vigorous and deep, of shadow mingled with its surface.
- John Ruskin, The Seven Lamps of Architecture (1849), chapter III, paragraph 24
- If l am not mistaken, the words "art" and "artist" did not exist during the Renaissance and before: there were simply architects, sculptors, and painters, practicing a trade.
- Mon propos a toujours été modeste, je voulais transformer ce mariage de raison en un mariage d'amour.
- My aim has always been modest; I wanted to transform the arranged marriage [of art and architecture] into a love match.
- Marcelle Ferron
- Fashion is architecture: it is a matter of proportions.
- When architects get prizes, the people suffer.
- Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.
- Architecture, of all the arts, is the one which acts the most slowly, but the most surely, on the soul.