My wife heard me say I love you a thousand times, but she never once heard me say sorryBruce Willis
- Ağıl başda olar, yaşda olmaz
- Literal translation: Intelligence is in the head, not in the age
- Meaning: You do not have to be old to be intelligent
- Ağac bar verəndə başın aşağı dikər
- Literal translation: Tree would bend when it bears fruit
- Moral: One should be modest even if (s)he becomes rich and influential
- Ağıllı düşmən nadan dostdan yaxşıdır
- Literal translation: Wise enemy is better than a foolish friend
- Meaning: Foolish friends are more dangerous than an enemy who is intelligent.
- Bilməmək eyib deyil, soruşmamaq eyibdir
- Literal translation: Shameful is not the one who doesn't know, but the one who doesn't ask
- Bir buğda əkməsən, min buğda biçməzsən
- Literal translation: Without sowing a single wheat you would not harvest thousand ones
- Çox bilən quş dimdiyindən tələyə düşər
- Literal translation: Smart bird gets trapped in its beak
- Meaning: Even smart people could overlook simple things
- Dama-dama göl olar, axa-axa sel olar
- Literal translation: Drop by drop would make a lake, ...
- Meaning: Be patient
- Dil yanılar, doğrusunu deyər
- Literal translation: Tongue may muddle up and say the truth
- Ədəb bazarda satılmaz
- Literal translation: Politeness is not sold in the bazaar
- Əvvəl düşün, sonra danış
- First think, then speak
- Halva-halva deməklə ağız şirin olmaz
- Literal translation: Mouth will not be sweet when you say "sweet"
- Meaning: Just talking won`t get the things done. In order to make your mouth sweet you should act rather than just talk.
- Haram malın bərəkəti olmaz
- Literal translation: Unlawful riches doesn't bring plenitude (Haram in Islamic law)
- Meaning: You will not profit from something that you obtained in an unlawful way. Sooner or later it will turn against you.
- Hər ağac öz dibinə kölgə salar
- Literal translation: Every tree casts shadow on its own bottom
- Meaning: Everybody takes care of their own, a tree casts shadow only on those who are close, the rest are on their own.
- Kzin var, kirmizeh donen chkhat
- Literal translation: When you have a daughter put the red shirt in the closet.
- Kiminin əvvəli, kiminin axırı
- Literal translation: Someone's end is someone's beginning
- Kasıb öləndə molla xəstə olar
- Literal translation: Mollah is sick when the poor is dying
- Meaning: Nothing is done just out of simple kindness: if you`re poor and dying, even Mollah will pretend to be sick in order not to come and say the last prayer by your bed.
- Kişi tüpürdüyünü yalamaz
- Literal translation: A man would not lick what he spit
- Meaning: A man should stand by his words.
- Kişi sözü üzə deyər
- Literal translation: A man says his word to the face
- Köpəyin qarnı tox gərək
- Literal translation: Dog has to have its stomach full
- Meaning: Treat those in your service well and they, in turn, will treat you well
- Meşə çaqqalsız olmaz
- Forest always has its jackal
- Meaning: Seedy characters are to be found everywhere
- Molladan adam, Palıddan badam!
- Literal translation: Mollah is a human, if an oak will produce an almond.
- Meaning: It`s impossible for a mollah (a priest) to be humane
- Ot kökü üstə bitər
- Literal translation: Grass grows on its roots
- Rəhmət düzənə, lə'nət pozana!
- Literal translation: Bless the builders, damn the slayers!
- Rəngimə bax, əhvalımı xəbər al!
- Literal translation: Look at my color (face), know my mood!
- Tazıya tut deyir, dovşana qaç
- Literal translation: To tell the dog to catch, and the rabbit to run.
- Meaning: To play your enemies off against each other.
- Tez duranla tez evlənən uduzmaz
- Translation: Those who get up and marry early, achieve success.
- Idiomatic translation: The early bird catches the worm.
- Yetənə yetir, yetməyənə bir daş atır
- Literal translation: Overtakes whom gets, and stones whom doesn't
- Meaning: Referring to someone who harasses everyone
(Dali guyiya bir das salar, bin aghil-li chikhardanmaz.)
- A mad man drops a rock into water well, so that thousand wise men can not take it out.
- Beauty without virtue is a curse.
- One's own simple bread is much better than someone else's pilaf.
- Speak not of what you have read, but about what you have understood.
- Until spring comes, nightingales do not sing.
- Azerbaijan (English version)