Battle Royale (or Batoru rowaiaru) is a film about 42 ninth-graders taken to an island, given random weapons, and forced to kill each other until one survivor remains as part of a government program. To ensure their cooperation, they've been fitted with explosive collars that explode when they break a rule.
- And so our compulsory education was coming to an end.
- I don't know what that means!
- No matter how far, run for all you're worth. Run!
- Life is a game, so fight to survive, and find out if you're worth it!
- So today's lesson is... you kill each other off 'til there's only one left. Nothing's against the rules.
- If you hate someone, you take the consequences.
- As you can see, these two are pretty dangerous.
- Its hard when your friends die on you, but hang on there!
- Here's your list of friends in the order they died.
- The last one... Cookies sure were good.
- What's wrong with killing? Everybody's got their reasons.
- I just didn't want to be a loser anymore...
- You just have to fight for yourself. That's just life...
- There's a way out of this game. Kill yourselves together, here, now. If you can't do that, then don't trust anyone... just run.
- Pot-lid and binoculars, whaddya want?
- Kyoichi Motobuchi: X equals the opposite of b over 2a...
- Shinji Mimura: When we escape, it will be together.
- Shinji Mimura: Ijima! Ijima!
- Keita Ijima: (laughs) When we escape, it'll be together.
- Hiroki Sugimura: I've been in love with you for a long, long time...
- Kayoko Kotohiki: (cries) What am I supposed to do now?
- Mitsuko Souma: Die.
- Takako Chigusa: Come at me. Every inch of me will resist you!
- Shinji Mimura: How did we get chosen?
- Teacher Kitano: By impartial lottery.
- Shinji Mimura: Another.
- Teacher Kitano: Yes?
- Shinji Mimura: Why are you making us do this?
- Teacher Kitano: It's your own damn fault.
- Yoshitoki Kuninobu: Shuya!
- Shuya Nanahara: Nobu!
- Shuya Nanahara:How do you know how to treat her?
- Shogo Kawada:My dad was a doctor.
- Noriko Nakagawa:This food is delicious.
- Shogo Kawada:Of course it is, my dad was a cook.
- Shuya Nanahara:You know how to steer a boat as well?
- Shoga Kawada:Yep, my dad used to be a fisherman.
- Opening speaker: At the dawn of the millennium, the nation collapsed. At 15% unemployment 10 million were out of work. 800,000 students boycotted the school. The adults lost confidence, and fearing the youth; eventually passed the Millennium Educational Reform Act AKA: The BR Act...
- Reporter: This year Zentsuji Middle School number 4's Class E was chosen from among 43.000 Ninth grade classes. This year's game, said to be more blistering than the last... Oh look, there! There she is! The winner's a girl! Surviving a fierce battle that raged 2 days, 7 hours and 43 minutes... the winner is a girl! Look, she's smiling! Smiling! The girl definitely just smiled!
- Training Video Girl: We have randomly selected weapons to put in your kits, so you might get lucky, and you might not. (picks up axe) This one is SUPER lucky.
From the Book: There was a mildly pleasant rattling sound. Sure it was different, but something about the pulse of 950 bullets ignited every minute resembled the tapping of an old manual typewriter you'd find in an antique store
- Could you kill your best friend?
- One Dead. 41 To Go.
- 42 Students, Three Days, One Survivor, No Rules.
- Today, I killed my best friend.
- Have you ever killed your best friend?
- Tatsuya Fujiwara — Shuya Nanahara (Boy #15)
- Aki Maeda — Noriko Nakagawa (Girl #15)
- Taro Yamamoto — Shogo Kawada (Boy #5)
- Chiaki Kuriyama — Takako Chigusa (Girl #13)
- Kou Shibasaki — Mitsuko Souma (Girl #11)
- Beat Takeshi — Teacher Kitano