Happiness is not a goal, it is a by-product.Eleanor Roosevelt
- I remember I used to half believe and wholly play with fairies when I was a child. What heaven can be more real than to retain the spirit-world of childhood, tempered and balanced by knowledge and common-sense...
- Journal entry (1896-11-17), from the National Trust collection.
- Once upon a time there were four little Rabbits, and their names were – Flopsy, Mopsy, Cotton-tail, and Peter.
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit (1902)
- Don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: your father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.
- The Tale of Peter Rabbit
- This is a Tale about a tail — a tail that belonged to a little red squirrel, and his name was Nutkin.
- The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin (1903)
- It is said that the effect of eating too much lettuce is "soporific."