Becoming Light: Poems New and Selected
Becoming Light: Poems New and Selected (1991) by Erica Jong
A collection of poetry that includes selections from previous works as well as previously unpublished poems.
- Pain is not love. Love flowers; love gives without taking; love is serene and calm.
- Driving me away is easier than saying goodbye...
- Betrayal does that -- betrays the betrayer.
- It is our old love I love.
- I look forward and see myself look back.
- In loving life you love what can't survive...
- Why does life need evidence of life?
- I am not sure if love is a salve or just a deeper kind of wound.
- ...I am sure that when we love we are better than ourselves and when we hate, worse.
- The best slave does not need to be beaten. She beats herself.
- Birth is the start of loneliness and loneliness the start of poetry...
- Since flesh can't stay, we pass the words along.
- Hate generalizes; love is particular.
- Because I loved myself, I was loved.
- ...if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.