It is useless to send armies against ideas.George Brandes
- I am of the firm belief that everybody could write books and I never understand why they don't. After all, everyone speaks. Once the grammar has been learnt it is simply talking on paper and in time learning what not to say.
- James Vinson & D. L. Kirkpatrick (eds.), Contemporary Novelists, 2nd edition, (London: St. James Press, 1976). 
- Being constantly with the children was like wearing a pair of shoes that were expensive and too small. She couldn't bear to throw them out, but they gave her blisters.
- Injury Time (London: Abacus,  2003) ch. 4, pp. 41-42.
- Everything else you grow out of, but you never recover from childhood.