Yet each man kills the thing he loves from all let this be heard some does it with a bitter look some with a flattering word the coward does it with a kiss the brave man with the sword.Oscar Wilde
- Kha deu gu chey deu ma kay.
Don't put an easy tongue in an easy mouth. (said to an overly talkative person)
- Sampa zang na sa dang lam yang zang; sampa nyen na sa dang lam yang nyen.
If the thought is good, (your) place and path are good; if the thought is bad, (your) place and path are bad.
- Sem chen tag gi re-mo chey dang; gu nag mi ge re-mo nang ing.
The stripes of a tiger are on the outside; the stripes (character) of a person are on the inside. (character is not directly visible)
- Lo teypi mi gi nha-ing ku.
A trustworthy person steals one's heart.
- Zig then ma che; dam choe ma ha.
Do not start your worldly life too late; do not start your religious life too early.
- A girl with a dedicated heart and good behaviour is more precious than your own heart.
- Mi chi gawi sem Lamchen chi giya ba methey.
To give happiness to another person gives such a great merit; it cannot even be carried by an elephant.
The human condition
- Chu yoe sa chab chap; sa droe sa nim sha.
Where there is plenty of water, it rains; where there is abundant heat, the sun shines.
- Gawa rang gi zon go zo; choem rang gi choen go choel.
Whatever joy you seek, it can be achieved by yourself; whatever misery you seek, it can be found by yourself.
- Chap phar kah chap jil pa chu kha ray.
The rain falls yonder, but the drops strike here. (indirect remarks hit the target).
- Cheyda chap sa goem peon yoeg mey.
On the battlefield, there is no distinction between upper and lower class.
- Chig mein neow cham.
If there is no financial involvement between relatives, the relationship is harmonious.
- Da chab lu mi tso, thi lu tso; Loe lab lu mi tso, nen lu tso.
The way the arrow hits the target is more essential than the way it is shot; the way you listen is more essential than the way you talk. (anyone can talk but understanding takes skill).
- Nam gawa the wei woe lu yoe; phung dang si yang they nang yoe.
Fun and pleasure are located below the navel; dispute and trouble are also located there.
- Sha tshaye khala tham nhen mi thoen.
Flattering words will not be spoken from the mouth of an affectionate person.
- She chey mi lu mathoen: Khapa roe ki ba wong.
Never reveal all that you know to others: They might become shrewder than you.
- Tham chi sum da len ma gel na, pha dang bu yang noe mi chey.
If they don't exchange a few words, father and son will never know one another.
- Thrang lapna me mi ga; te tha dung na khi mi ga eg.
If you tell the truth, people are not happy; if beaten with a stick, dogs are not happy.
- Zo mangna go lhong mi tshu.
When there are too many carpenters, the door cannot be erected.
- Fa yul la ta ja tham pa yoe, nga rang jo na kang tha.
In my homeland I possess one hundred horses, yet if I go, I go on foot.
- Tsham choe shain khaybe tag.
To know your limitations is the hallmark of a wise person.
- If heat is applied to iron long enough it will melt; if cold is applied to water long enough it will freeze.
- Walking slowly, even the donkey will reach Lhasa. (given determination, even a dolt will eventually reach the goal)
- Ge ru-wa nhagi mo choe.
The nose didn't smell the rotting head. (one can't see one's own faults)
- Rang chapi zam lay rang ma thai.
One could not cross a bridge constructed by oneself. (whatever you do, do it properly, so it is of use).
- Ye shey pi da chap sar mi thoeng; phog sar thoeng.
The arrow of the accomplished master will not be seen when it is released; only when it hits the target. (you don't see the process; only the result can be seen)
- A fire should be extinguished when it is small; an enemy should be subdued while young.
- Consider the tune, not the voice; consider the words, not the tune; consider the meaning, not the words.
- No death without reason.
- Words coming from far away are always half true, half false.
- You must first walk around a bit before you can understand the distance from the valley to the mountain.
- Chu ma wom ley yue wa sey....
Clear the drain before it rains.... (Be prepared)