George Jung (Johnny Depp) wants to be rich as fast as he can. He starts dealing with marijuana with his girlfriend Barbara (Franka Potente). And so the whole westcoast of California gets its drugs from him. But then Barbara dies and George gets inprisoned because of dealing. In prison he gets to know Diego and because of Diego he gets to know the colombian Medellin-Cartel and the drug-king Pablo Escobar. George starts to be part of the real big drug-business: cocaine. Nearly every gram that's in the USA comes from him. When he mets his big love (Penélope Cruz) in Colombia and when his friend Diego betrays him, George wants to stop dealing, but he has to learn that relations like that...can't be quit that easily...
- (to Judge) I crossed an imaginary line with a bunch of plants!
- 15 kilos? I PISS 15 kilos.
- ... maybe it was the Colombian guestlist... or the cocaine buffet...
- This is grade:A, 100% pure Colombian cocaine, ladies and gentlemen. Disco shit. Pure as the driven snow.
- May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.
- It was the greatest feeling I ever had. Followed abruptly by the worst feeling I ever had.
- The official toxicity limit for humans is between one and one and half grams of cocaine depending on body weight. I was averaging five grams a day, maybe more. I snorted ten grams in ten minutes once. I guess I had a high tolerance.
- Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.
- Throughout my lifetime I've left pieces of my heart here and there. And now, there's almost barely enough to stay alive. But I force a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.
- You're my heart, kid. How can I live without my heart?
- Danbury wasn't a prison, it was a crime school. I went in with a Bachelor of marijuana, came out with a Doctorate of cocaine.
- Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on.
- Money isn't real, George. It doesn't matter. It only seems like it does.
- Let me tell you something, George: you'd have been great at anything.
- Shit, I'm in this bitch for life.
- Mother fucker I'm a criminal, ain't nobody givin' me no fuckin' job.
- You don't know dick about smugglin' no damn drugs.
- Happy to see you George, my brother.
- Johnny Depp — George Jung
- Penélope Cruz — Mirtha Jung
- Franka Potente — Barbara Buckley
- Rachel Griffiths — Ermine Jung
- Paul Reubens — Derek Foreal
- Jordi Mollà — Diego Delgado
- Cliff Curtis — Pablo Escobar
- Miguel Sandoval — Augusto Oliveras