Robert Joseph "Bob" Dole (born July 22, 1923) is best known as a former Republican United States Senate Majority Leader and Senator from Kansas from 1969-1996. He was the Republican presidential nominee in 1996, but was defeated by incumbent Bill Clinton in the election.
- As long as there are only 3 to 4 people on the floor, the country is in good hands. It's only when you have 50 to 60 in the Senate that you want to be concerned.
- [about his wife, Elizabeth] At least she's the president of something, which is more than I can say.
- Elizabeth's back at the Red Cross, and I'm walking the dog.
- History buffs probably noted the reunion at a Washington party a few weeks ago of three ex-presidents: Carter, Ford and Nixon - See No Evil, Hear No Evil and Evil.
- I mean, there's always somebody in somebody's administration who jumps out early, sells a book, and goes after the guy who hired him, ... I don't know if that's good. It may be good business; it's not good politics.
- I once described myself as the most optimistic man in America. Life has taught me to put my faith in the uncounted millions who may never run for office, pass a bill, or craft a sound bite, but who fight our wars and embody the ideals worth fighting for. My contemporaries have been called the greatest generation. It's not a title we bestowed on ourselves, any more than we asked for the hand that history dealt us in our youth. Now I belong to a disappearing generation, perhaps five million in all, forever bonded by the tests we faced so long ago.
- I think the voters believe that when you become president of the United States, you have a higher obligation and a higher standard than anybody in the world, ... And if you violate that standard, they're going to remember it on election day.
- I've won every battle, except the battle against time... yet.
- If something happened along the route and you had to leave your children with Bob Dole or Bill Clinton, I think you would probably leave them with Bob Dole.
- Our intent will not be to create gridlock. Oh, except maybe from time to time.
- Something is wrong with America. I wonder sometimes what people are thinking about or if they're thinking at all.
- The Internet is a great way to get on the Net.
- We know smoking tobacco is not good for kids, but a lot of other things aren't good. Drinking's not good. Some would say milk's not good.
- You feel a little older in the morning. By noon I feel about 55.
- Where's the outrage?