Boxing also called prizefighting (when referring to professional boxing), the sweet science (a common nickname among fans) or the gentleman's sport (used mainly in England), is a sport and martial art in which two participants of similar weight classification fight each other with their fists in a series of one to three-minute intervals called "rounds".
- Boxing is the toughest and loneliest sport in the world.
- Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill..
- BOXING: A mutual infliction of brain damage for the amusement of the public.
- Rick Bayan, The Cynic's Dictionary
- To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other.
- Boxing is for men, and is about men, and IS men. A celebration of the lost religion of masculinity all the more trenchant for its being lost.
- In those days, boxing was very glamorous and romantic. You listened to fights on the radio, and a good announcer made it seem like a contest between gladiators.
- Everyone has a plan until they've been hit.
- He can run, but he can't hide