The interest in life does not lie in what people do, nor even in their relations to each other, but largely in the power to communicate with a third party, antagonistic, enigmatic, yet perhaps persuadable, which one may call life in general.Virginia Woolf
- Thank you of course to Miss Hepburn. The longevity of her career I think is inspiring to everyone. But most importantly and on behalf of everyone I know in The Aviator, thank you to Martin Scorsese. I hope my son will marry your daughter.
- I think marriage is all about timing. Getting married is insanity; I mean, it's a risk – who knows if you're going to be together forever? But you both say, 'We're going to take this chance, in the same spirit.
- What interested me was how much of a departure this was in that you have three interesting, across the generations, female characters, literally riding alongside the male characters. Also the emotional and psychological depth of the characters was, for me, a lot richer than I've seen in a western. But never once did it sacrifice the thrill of the chase. So it was a journey into the unknown for me.
- Actresses can get outrageously precious about the way they look. That's not what life's about. If you starve yourself to the point where your brain cells shrivel, you will never do good work. And if you're overly conscious of your arms flapping in the wind, how can you look the other actor in the eye to respond to them?
- He thought I was aloof and I thought he was arrogant. It just shows you how wrong you can be. But once he kissed me that was that.
- On her first impressions of her husband, playwright Andrew Upton.
- I certainly think that when I flick through all the magazines at the hairdresser's I like to see and am drawn to images that have an intelligence and mind at work behind them.
- On models
- I don't have a sense of entitlement or that I deserve this. You'd be surprised at the lack of competition between nominees— I think a lot of it's imposed from the outside. Can I have my champagne now?
- I had never done anything with blue screen before, or prosthetics, or anything like that. Lord of the Rings was like stepping into a videogame for me. It was another world completely. But, to be honest, I basically did it so that I could have the ears. I thought they would really work with my bare head.
- I love strange choices. I'm always interested in people who depart from what is expected of them and go into new territory.
- I think that's what I love about my life. There's no maniacal master plan. It's just unfolding before me.
- If I had my way, if I was lucky enough, if I could be on the brink my entire life— that great sense of expectation and excitement without the disappointment— that would be the perfect state.
- If you know you are going to fail, then fail gloriously!
- It was only when I realized how actors have the power to move people that I decided to pursue acting as a career.
- Look, it's one of the great mysteries of the world, I cannot answer that question. I think I'm vaguely blonde. To be perfectly frank, I don't know.
- When asked the colour of her hair.
- My agent insisted that I get one. But I never answer it. I suppose I should keep it switched off, but it has such a pretty ring.
- About her mobile phone
- Thank you to Martin Scorsese - I hope my son will marry your daughter.
- They stick out a lot and tend to catch the wind. I loved skiing as a teenager but I had to stop because my ears got so cold .
- About her ears
- Violence and racism are bad. Whenever they occur they are to be condemned (and) we should not turn a blind eye to them.
- Working with Martin Scorsese was an absolute minute-by-minute education without him ever being grandiose about it.
- You know you've made it when you've been moulded in miniature plastic. But you know what children do with Barbie dolls— it's a bit scary, actually.