It is not easy, but you have to be willing to make mistakes. And the earlier you make those mistakes, the better.Jane Cahill Pfeiffer
Quotes regarding Change.
- You could not step twice into the same river; for other waters are ever flowing on to you.
- Let us go to war. The world has become stale and insipid, the ships ought to be all captured, and the cities battered down, and the world burned up, so that we can start again. There would be fun in that. Some interest, — something to talk about.
- Editorial in the New York Journal of Commerce (August 1845)
- The times change, and we change with them.
- English variant of traditional Latin:
- Tempora mutantur nos et mutamur in illis
- Quoted (as “proverbial”) in William Harrison’s Description of England, 1577, p. 170, part of Holinshed's Chronicles
- Variant of
- Omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis
- Illa vices quasdam res habet, illa vices.
- In English:
- All things are changed, and we change with them
- ? Her vices that she has, her vices. ?
- Attributed by Matthew Borbonius as the motto of Lothair I.
- Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.
- In English:
- The more things change, the more they are the same.
- Alphonse Karr, Les Guêpes, Jan. 1848.
- We must face the fact that we are on the brink of times when man may be able to magnify his intellectual and inventive capability, just as in the nineteenth century he used machines to magnify his physical capacity. Again, as then, our innocence is lost. And again, of course, the innocence, once lost, cannot be regained. The loss demands attention, not denial.
- For me, words are a form of action, capable of influencing change.
- To exist is to change, to change is to mature, to mature is to go on creating oneself endlessly.
- It is not a matter of exposing one's unchanging identity, the true self that has always been, but a way of exposing one's ceaseless growth, the dynamic self that has yet to be.
- We only have to look around us to see how complexity and psychic 'temperature' are still rising: and rising no longer on the scale of the individual but now on that of the planet. This indication is so familiar to us that we cannot but recognize the objective, experiential, reality of a transformation of the planet 'as a whole.'
- All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.
- You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
- If we can recognize that change and uncertainty are basic principles, we can greet the future and the transformation we are undergoing with the understanding that we do not know enough to be pessimistic.
- In times of profound change, the learners inherit the earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.
- Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
- The more things change, the more they remain the same.
- If you want things to stay as they are, things will have to change.
- It can change as much as it likes. As long as it stays the same
- Change is not a matter of not doing something. It is a matter of doing something else — something that is inherently right, free, and pleasurable. Therefore, the key is insight and the freedom to feel and participate in ways of functioning that are right and new.
- In the same way as the tree bears the same fruit year after year, but each time new fruit, all lastingly valuable ideas in thinking must always be reborn.
- Cambia, todo cambia.
- Changing, everything is changing.
- Change is not merely necessary to life — it is life.
- Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.
- History may not repeat itself, but it does rhyme a lot.
- Of the forces which are imperceptible forces, none is greater than that of change ... all things are ever in the state of change ... therefore the I of the past is no longer the I of today.
- All things in this world are impermanent. They have the nature to rise and pass away. To be in harmony with this truth brings true happiness.
- Buddhist chant