When I stand before thee at the day's end, thou shalt see my scars and know that I had my wounds and also my healing.Rabindranath Tagore
- "Our church does not use musical instruments, as harps and psalteries, to praise God withal, that she may not seem to Judaize."
- "The pipe, tabret, and harp here associate so intimately with the sensual heathen cults, as well as with the wild revelries and shameless performances of the degenerate theater and circus, it is easy to understand the prejudices against their use in the worship."
- By Augustine, describing the singing at Alexandria under Athanasius.
- "We have brought into our churches certain operatic and theatrical music; such a confused, disorderly chattering of some words as I hardly think was ever in any of the Grecian or Roman theatres. The church rings with the noise of trumpets, pipes, and dulcimers; and human voices strive to bear their part with them. Men run to church as to a theatre, to have their ears tickled. And for this end organ makers are hired with great salaries, and a company of boys, who waste all their time learning these whining tones."
- Erasmus, Commentary on I Cor. 14:19
- "Christian music doesn't require any thought at all! All you have to do is get crappy love songs and replace the word "baby" with "jesus."
- -Eric Cartman, South Park
- "All music written by a Christian should be as integrated as everything else done by a Christian."
- "Gospel songs to me are about the mansion in the sky, and washed in the blood of Christ's crimson blood, songs that are filled with biblical wording that's no longer understood by a lot of people."
- "I feel that Christian music is a subculture directed towards the Christians. It's not really being exposed to non-Christians and it's not really created for non-Christians, so non-Christians almost never hear any of this music."