Cinderella (1950 film)
They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world. Someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.Allan K. Chalmers
(Redirected from Cinderella)
- Directed by Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson and Hamilton Luske. Written by Ken Anderson, Homer Brightman, Winston Hibler, Bill Peet, Erdman Penner, Charles Perrault, Harry Reeves, Joe Rinaldi and Ted Sears.
- [singing] A dream is a wish your heart makes
When you're fast asleep.
In dreams you will lose your heartaches.
Whatever you wish for, you keep.
Have faith in your dreams, and someday
Your rainbow will come smiling through.
No matter how your heart is grieving,
If you keep on believing,
The dreams that you wish will come true.
- What? In a trap? Then why didn't you say so?
- Cinderella: Oh please you don't think that I would—
- Lady Tremaine: Hold your tongue! Now, it seems we have time on our hands.
- Cinderella: But I was only trying to—
- Lady Tremaine: Silence! Time for vicious practical jokes. Perhaps we can put it to better use. Now let me see… There's the large carpet in the main hall; clean it! And the windows—upstairs and down—wash them! Oh yes, and the tapestries and the draperies—
- Cinderella: But I just finished—
- Lady Tremaine: Do them again! And don't forget the garden. Then scrub the terrace, sweep the halls and the stairs, clean the chimneys. And of course there's the mending and the sewing and the laundry… Oh yes, and one more thing, see that Lucifer gets his bath.
- Lady Tremaine: And, by royal command, every eligible maiden is to attend!
- Drizella: Why, that's us!
- Anastasia: And I'm so eligible!
- Cinderella: Why that means I can go too.
- Drizella: Hah! Her, dancing with the Prince. [laughing]
- Anastasia: I'd be honored, Your Highness. [holds out her flute] Would you mind holding my broom? [both waltz in place, laughing derisively]
- Jaq: Poor Cinderelly. Ev'ry time she find a minute, that's the time when they begin it. "Cinderelly! Cinderelly!"
- Drizella: & :Anastasia: [echoing offstage] Cinderella!
- Jaq: [singing] Cinderelly, Cinderelly.
Night and day it's Cinderelly.
Make the fire!
Fix the breakfast!
Wash the dishes! Do the moppin'!
- Mice: [singing] And the sweepin', and the dustin'
They always keep her hoppin'.
- Jaq: She go around in circles 'till she very, very dizzy
Still they holler...
- Mice: Keep-a busy, Cinderelly!
- Gus: [singing] I could cut it with the scissors!
- Jaq:: [singing] And I can help with the sewing.
- Perla: [singing] Leave the sewing to the women.
You go get some trimmin'.
- Fairy Godmother: Well, hop in my dear. We can't waste time.
- Cinderella: Oh, but—
- Fairy Godmother: Now, now, don't try to thank me.
- Cinderella: Oh, I wasn't… I mean, I do, but don't you think my dress.—
- Fairy Godmother: Yes, it's lovely, dear, lov… [actually sees it] Good heavens, child! You can't go in that.
- Cinderella: Why, it's like a dream. A wonderful dream come true.
- Fairy Godmother: Yes, my child, but like all dreams, well, I'm afraid this can't last forever. You have only until midnight, and—
- Cinderella: Midnight? Oh, thank you—
- Fairy Godmother: Oh, now, just a minute. You must understand, my dear: On the stroke of twelve, the spell will be broken, and everything will be as it was before.
- Cinderella: Oh, I understand, but... it's more than I ever hoped for.
- The King: I give up. Even I couldn't expect the boy to—
- Grand Duke: Well, if I may say so, Your Majesty, I did try to warn you; but you, Sire, are incurably romantic. No doubt you saw the whole pretty picture in detail. The young prince bowing to the assembly. Suddenly he stops. He looks up. For, lo, there she stands. The girl of his dreams. Who she is or whence she came, he knows not, nor does he care for his heart tells him that here, here is the maid he is predestined to be his bride. A pretty plot for fairy tales, Sire. But in real life…oh, no. No, it was foredoomed to failure.
- [unbeknownst to him, everything he described has just happened]
- The King: Failure, eh? Ha-ha! Take a look at that, you pompous windbag!
- Cinderella: It's midnight.
- Prince Charming: Yes, so it is.
- Cinderella: Goodbye.
- Prince Charming: No, no wait, you can't go now.
- Cinderella: Oh, I must. Please, please, I must!
- Prince Charming: But why?
- Cinderella: Uh, well, uh... the Prince. I haven't met the Prince.
- Prince Charming: The Prince? But didn't you know—
- [clock strikes]
- Grand Duke: But, Sire, this slipper may fit any number of girls.
- The King: That's his problem. He's given his word; we'll hold him to it.
- Grand Duke: No, no, your Highness. I'll have nothing to do with it.
- The King: You'll try this on EVERY MAID in my kingdom. And, if the shoe fits... Bring her in.
- Grand Duke: [gulps] Yes, your Majesty.
- Lady Tremaine: Drizella? Drizella.
- Drizella: Mmm? What?
- Lady Tremaine: Get up. Quick, this instant. We haven't a moment to lose. [goes into Anastasia's room] Anastasia? Anastasia. Get up, Anastasia.
- Anastasia: [yawning] Huh? What for? Why?
- Lady Tremaine: Oh, everyone's talking about it. The whole kingdom. Oh, hurry now. He'll be here any minute.
- Drizella: [yawning] Who will?
- Lady Tremaine: The Grand Duke. He's been hunting all night.
- Drizella: Hunting?
- Lady Tremaine: For that girl. The one who lost her slipper at the ball last night. They say he's madly in love with her.
- Anastasia: The Duke is?
- Lady Tremaine: Oh, no, no, no. The Prince.
- Jaq: He's here! He's here, the Duke-Duke!
- Gus: Who?
- Jaq: The Grand Duke, with the slipper! Gotta get that key quick!
- Gus: Duke-Duke! Key-key! Quick-quick!
- Grand Duke: You are the only ladies of the household I hope—I—I presume.
- Lady Tremaine: There's no-one else, your Grace.
- Grand Duke: Quite so. Good day, good day.
- Cinderella: Your Grace! Your Grace! Please, wait. May I try it on?
- Lady Tremaine: Oh. Pay no attention to her.
- Anastasia: It's only Cinderella.
- Drizella: Our scullery maid.
- Anastasia: From the kitchen.
- Lady Tremaine: Absolutely ridiculous.
- Anastasia: She's out of her mind.
- Lady Tremaine: Yes, just an imaginitive child!
- Grand Duke: Madam, my orders were every maiden!
- [the slipper has just shattered]
- Grand Duke: Oh, no! Oh, no, no, no, no. Oh, this is terrible. [gasps] The King! What will he say? [clutches his throat] What will he do?
- Cinderella: But, perhaps, if it would help—
- Grand Duke: No, no, nothing can help now. Nothing!
- Cinderella: But, you see, I have the other slipper.
- [overjoyed, he kisses it several times before placing it on her foot]
- The greatest love story ever told.
- Ilene Woods - Cinderella
- Eleanor Audley - Lady Tremaine
- Verna Felton - Fairy Godmother
- Rhoda Williams - Drizella
- James MacDonald - Jaq; Gus-Gus; Bruno
- Luis Van Rooten - The King; The Grand Duke
- Don Barclay - Doorman
- Lucille Bliss - Anastasia
- June Foray - Lucifer
- Betty Lou Gerson - Narrator
- William Phipps - Prince (speaking)
- Mike Douglas - Prince (singing)