Ideas are fatal to caste.Edward M. Forster
- [To Rob, immediately prior to the monster's arrival] You just need to say, 'Forget the world,' and hold on to the people you love most.
- Beth McIntire is from a whole 'nother planet, bro. I mean, she's beautiful, she's charming. As for you, I mean, I love you and all but let's face it; you're kind of a douche-bag.
- My name is Robert Hawkins. It is 6:42 AM, on Saturday May 23rd. Approximately seven hours ago, uh, some thing attacked the city. I don't know what it is. Um, if you found this tape, I mean if you're watching this, then you probably know more about it than I do. Uh, whatever this thing is, it killed my brother, uh, Jason Hawkins, it killed my best friend Hudson Platt and Marlena Diamond, and many many others. Um, we've taken shelter under this bridge. The military has begun bombing the creature, and we're caught in the middle.
- Maybe you should have left town a bit earlier, man.
- Rob, it is time to leave the electronics store.
- Beth lives in Midtown. Alright? Midtown is that way. Guess what else is that way! Some horrific shit is in Midtown!
- [repeated line] I'm documenting.
- [pointing the camera at himself as he prepares to cross a treacherous rooftop] If this is the last thing you see me, that means I died.
- No one ever listens to me, now they are- we're all gonna die...
- Rob: Still filming?
- Hud: Yeah, people are gonna want to know... how it all went down.
- Hud: Okay, just to be clear here, our options are: die here, die in the tunnels, or die in the streets. That pretty much it?
- Rob: Yeah... that's pretty much it.
- [The group is passing through a pitch-black subway tunnel on foot]
- Hud: Do you guys remember a couple of years ago when that guy was lighting homeless people on fire in the subways?
- Rob: Jesus, Hud! Maybe not the best time for this conversation down here!
- Hud: Right.
- [awkward silence]
- Hud: I just can't stop thinking how scary it'd be if a flaming homeless guy came running...
- All: HUD!
- Hud: I'm just saying. Sorry.
- Lily: Sir, sir, do you know what that thing is?
- Marine: No one ain't telling me... whatever it is, it's winning.
- [After finding that Beth's apartment building is leaning against another building, the group discusses how to reach her]
- Hud: Please tell me she lives on the ground floor.
- Rob: 39th.
- Hud: Shit.
- Lilly: How are we going to get up there?
- Rob: I don't know; we'll just go inside and see how high up we can get.
- Lilly: I don't know if I can do that.
- Hud: Well, maybe we can try going up the other building and see if there is a place to cross over on the roof, and then we can find some way down to her place.
- [Rob considers, then begins running towards the building. Lilly follows]
- Hud: Wait! No, never mind! No, that's a bad idea! Hey! That's a bad idea, I take that back!
- Hud: [running up a staircase] How could they not know anything about it? Unless... maybe they're like, in on it, you know? Like maybe the government created it or something.
- Rob: Do we have to talk about this now Hud?
- Hud: Well, I need to talk about something, because if I don't I'm going to actually shit my pants in this stairwell.
- Beth: [sees monster stomping down the street towards them as they cross a rooftop] What is that?
- Hud: It's a terrible thing.
- . . .
- [While trying to pass down a flight of stairs, Rob encounters a parasite and impales it with a fire ax]
- Beth: Oh my God! What is that?
- Hud: I don't know, something else! Also terrible!
- Hud: [talking about the monster] ...maybe it flew here from another planet.
- Marlena: What, like Superman?
- Hud: Yeah like- ...hold on...you know who Superman is?
- Marlena: [turns around and acts very shocked] Oh my God! YOU know who Superman is? Oh my God, are you aware of Garfield?