Man was predestined to have free will.Hal Luyah
Quotes referring to Clowns and clownishness.
- I remain just one thing, and one thing only — and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician.
- Charlie Chaplin, as quoted in The Observer (17 June 1960)
- Though the clown is often deadpan, he is a connoisseur of laughter.
- Mel Gussow, about Avner Eisenberg in his broadway show Avner the Eccentric in The New York Times (21 September 1984)
- You know lots of criticism is written by characters who are very academic and think it is a sign you are worthless if you make jokes or kid or even clown. I wouldn't kid Our Lord if he was on the cross. But I would attempt a joke with him if I ran into him chasing the money changers out of the temple.
- Ernest Hemingway, in a letter (21 June 1952); published in Ernest Hemingway : Selected Letters 1917-1961 (1981) edited by Carlos Baker
- A clown's makeup and character, that's all he has to sell. He loves and believes in that character.
- Emmett Kelly, quoted in The Greeley Daily Tribune (21 June 1975)
- Be a clown, be a clown,
All the world loves a clown.
Act the fool, play the calf,
And you'll always have the last laugh.
- I don't want to be called "the greatest" or "one of the greatest". Let other guys claim to be the best. I just want to be known as a clown because to me, that's the height of my profession. It means you can do everything — sing, dance and, above all, make people laugh.
- Isn't it rich?
Aren't we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the clowns.
- Don't you love farce?
My fault I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want.
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the clowns?
Quick, send in the clowns.
Don't bother, they're here.